Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » How many people work downtown? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 686
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody have a ball park figure for this?

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not enough

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8659
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Does anybody have a ball park figure for this?

More on the days the Tigers play home games! :-)

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 687
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gee...thanks guys.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the city's really bustling on game day (when they have their 1PM games).

Anyway, I hear it's 130K in Midtown (including DMC, New Center, and WSU) and 80K in downtown (mainly blue collar), total over 200,000. :-)

Certainly nothing to brag about with a regional population of 4.5 million.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on May 12, 2008)

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 829
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Zaccaro's employs about 20 Detroiters not quite downtown though but close enough. We Also have the ACLU Moving in nextdoor and peoples records moving in across the street!

English
Username: English

Post Number: 732
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice, Urbanoutdoors.

I miss working downtown. Food was better and there were more choices than here in Tree Town (which is better for vegetarians/vegans/whole foodians, I'll admit).

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work downtown add me to the list.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 826
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I know it, there are about 73,000 workers in the CBD proper. Don't know anything about Midtown's numbers.

To give comparison, Auburn Hills has a workday population of 80k, and Troy 125k (I don't have a link, but I know from the Alley).

Another benchmark of scale - 800,000 people work in downtown Toronto.

If we could get those 73k people we have already out more, we have WAY more density and urban life than those other regional places downtown. All our people are packed into a mile or two as the CBD in the studies I've seen is riverfront, 375 to lodge to 75, as opposed to sprawled out.

That is a perception and security question, and that's where the next focus needs to be. Because those people, when they feel safer, are going to rent and buy lofts and be residents.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3092
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

and 80K in downtown (mainly blue collar)

What do blue collar workers do downtown?

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 445
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing it would be about 50/50 white vs. blue collar, with the blue collar being all the service industries-hotel, rest. parking, etc.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6602
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We Also have the ACLU Moving in nextdoor and peoples records moving in across the street!

Awesome, maybe they'll sue the city and steal your tax money like they're doing in Ferndale.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as they hire a downtown Detroit-based lawyer.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20 080512/cm_csm/ecarbon_1

if living downtown is financially viable and safe, theres no reason for corporations to make the move

but it takes movers and shakers-aka compuware and quicken

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 192
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The CBD has an employment base of 80,000 in an area that is about 1 sq. mi. The 5 sq. mi. "greater downtown area" has an employment base of about 130,000. In comparison, Troy is nearly 30 sq. mi. in area.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I worked in Human Resources for a company headquartered downtown, we lost some good employees because they no longer felt safe coming to work downtown...not because they didn't feel safe downtown, it was the neighborhoods they had to drive through to GET to work and back home. More than one employee had car trouble and a subsequent negative run in with the criminal element while on their way to or from work downtown. Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done about that aspect...commuters who live in outlying Detroit neighborhoods and suburbs have 3 choices...move downtown, quit the job, or gamble with their life and property.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6804
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... or #4... get a dependable car.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1626
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... or #5 ...take the bus to work!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3099
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... or #5 ... stop being so damn xenophobic. They act like Detroit is the only city in the universe with a ghetto!

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 458
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Until they've been to Philly

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2115
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^At least Philly didn't loose a million people, has a centralized downtown and they have buildings with occupants in their ghettos. :-)

(Message edited by DetroitRise on May 13, 2008)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11681
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would but I am waaaay too afraid to work in such a scary place.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 459
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"At least Philly didn't loose a million people, has a centralized downtown and they have buildings with occupants in their ghettos."

Hmm will it be swaths of empty lots or passing through Mantua.....

No hate for Philly, it's one of my top favorite cities. Just validating iheartthed's point

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When I worked in Human Resources for a company headquartered downtown, we lost some good employees because they no longer felt safe coming to work downtown...not because they didn't feel safe downtown, it was the neighborhoods they had to drive through to GET to work and back home."

These people did hear of interstates, right? The only suburbanites who might find it faster to take surface streets would be Grosse Pointers, and Jefferson isn't bad...

Detroitsky
Username: Detroitsky

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work downtown.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 829
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard the same stuff, Hudkina. A million times.

People are worried their car will break down and thugs will shoot them - been told as much frequently.

Not necessarily well-based in fact; I've broken down in the hood and have been fine, and any one has met me knows I don't blend into the 'hood very well.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Philly has faced many of the same problems as detroit since 1950. Population loss,job loss, ect., Detroit is just hated by many that don't understanding its history.

Njmikey
Username: Njmikey

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone who's been to both Detroit and Philly numerous times for work, Philly's center city (as they call it) is safer, cleaner, and has ten times the amount of people and businesses than downtown Detroit. Philly's central business district is also much larger area wise so it's really a bad comparison.

No hate here though. I love Detroit when I go there on business.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked downtown nearly my whole career, although my first assignment was in a storefront office on Linwood and Virginia Park. I've had flat tires on the way to work, and pulled off near old Herman Kieffer once and once near I-75 and Clay. Some nice men stopped and helped me change the flats. I walked all over from Rosa Parks to the Ren Cen, and never had a problem. I called on people in every neighborhood in Detroit, too. I left in 2003, so this is ancient to recent history. In my humble opinion, ANY area can have problems. Just keep your eyes open, avoid strange situations, and give everyone you meet a nice smile. You may be the only vanilla chip in the crowd, just know that does not automatically put you in danger.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4778
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might not be that much safer, Njmikey, but I agree on the other counts.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a flat tire and had to pull over onto the very skinny shoulder just as you're going onto 375 from I-75 South.

I called AAA, but a local entrepreneur with a raggedy tow truck came along first. I said sure, change my tire, he did and even accepted a check. No muss, no fuss.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6810
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And there's also all those courtesy vans (thanks to those big box drug stores) that come along from time to time on all the freeway to help out...

I used to worry more about people chucking things off the overpass than I did about any other problems in Detroit. The state has taken care of much of that worry by putting tall cyclone fences along all Detroit and suburban overpass bridges.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.