Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Kylie Minogue video from 1990 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Legsdiamond
Username: Legsdiamond

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome pics of the Ren Cen, the dream cruise, and I think the Redford Theater:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =J8yf9OmtX9w

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 851
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shots cool. song horrible.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 959
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, beg to differ. While the building in the background is definitely a John Portman design, I don't think it's the Ren Cen, and doubt any of this was shot in D-town, more likely Los Angeles.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2267
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not the Redford. I think it is the Latin quarter on EGB or one of the adult film emporiums on Woodward like the Sassy Cat.

There was no dream cruise in 1990, that Eldorado is a one-car dream cruise.

enjoyed the visuals though, thanks,

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not Detroit. It looks like LA. They have that hotel that looks similar to the RenCen.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 617
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking possibly Atlanta.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's LA.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely LA. Take it from the resident Kylie expert.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the record labels-Capitol?-has their hq in that building, not sure if it's hers. Go out front and sing your ass off honey!

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is LA and that's the bonaventure hotel.

Onthe405
Username: Onthe405

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also recognizable is the B of A Center (originally built as the Security Pacific Plaza)

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/b u/?id=bankofamericaplaza-losan geles-ca-usa

401don, you are probably confusing the Bonaventure with the round Capitol Records building in Hollywood. The Bonaventure is in Downtown LA and 100% hotel space. No offices.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/b u/?id=116599

Although the following are distinctly Portman and often confused, they differ in the following ways:

RenCen/Detroit: Circular tower surrounded by 4 rectangular towers (plus additions)

Peachtree Plaza Hotel/Atlanta: Circular tower.

Bonaventure Hotel/Los Angeles: Circular tower surrounded by 4 smaller circular towers.

(Message edited by onthe405 on May 12, 2008)

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 448
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 405, you're right. 401 out.

Legsdiamond

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel like an idiot. I've stayed at both the Bonaventure and the Ren Cen--I should be able to tell the difference. What a buzz kill to realize it's not Detroit in the stupid video...

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2269
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't say that you feel like an idiot, Legs. You might wind up having your post deleted and your ass banished from the forum, and I don't want that to happen to anyone who had the discernment and good taste (read: "catered to Ravine's lascivious preferences") to post a Kylie Minogue video.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12804
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, WHY isn't she more popular here?

At least among the straights...a gay cousin all but worships her, that's how I even learned who she was!

I smell a conspiracy...and I'd bet Madonna is in the middle of it.

Quinn

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm gay and I think she sucks. I believe she probably has good songs and is an excellent performer, I just can't get past that song from the 80's, "Locomotion."

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12813
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh.

I am simply amazed at how mesmerized my cousin is with her. Like she has some weird magic over him, and I've NEVER seen him look twice at a woman.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, you just have bad taste.

Quinn

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hahaha...ok ok. My "husband" likes her alot...buys all of their cd's. But he also likes Poison and Def Leopard. Go figure.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always smile when I hear Kylie. I have so many memories of high school & sneaking into the club with a fake ID, blasting "Light Years" the entire way to Ann Arbor. I miss those days!

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Legsdiamond, quit beating yourself up. You just paid the director a hhhuugggee compliment. I mean, I can tell when her Cadillac's driving down Broadway(what you took for the Redford Theatre) up Figueroa onto Bunker Hill by California Plaza 2(my sister's old office), & the fro dude dancing between the KPMG & Wells Fargo building-but I live here. It's pretty rare to do a video outside of L.A. because a.) they cost so much & b) the label, band managers etc like to hang out to keep an eye on things. The cost of the video's always been billed to the band, so with the music industry's downturn they're pretty rare nowadays. With Kylie's references to Motown's peaking with The Temptations & shooting the Bonaventure so low they do make you think she was in Detroit. 401don, I can't figure out which building you think is the Capitol Records Building-maybe a quick shot of the Gas Co Building(you're in T-O, so whaddya know from interesting architecture?), but here's the Dandy Warhols to help you sort it out(with stolen shots from the D-land Matterhorn, an homage to the ending of 'Slacker' & KFWB's historic old studio);
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =QGHZ5h54Xkc

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm straight and I'm a Kylie fan.

Thanks for the video!

I've also heard that Madonna is in fact a Kylie fan and has been seen wearing her t-shirts.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 744
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the current Doctor Who (David Tennant) is a fan. They met on the set of Doctor Who, and became an item for a while. He gave her an award at The Brit Awards earlier this year.

Legsdiamond

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, now I'll not feel like such a loser deluxe.

There's nothing in mind that could be prettier than Kylie in the early 90s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =GUC-haxu8AE&feature=related

And I'd love to know the statistics on how many Asians she's taught to speak English

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =girkbXtjILg

Love the girl and love Detroit,

-Mark

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.