Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Empty schools « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does the city have a plan for the empty school buildings now that so many schools have closed?i know some schools are probably being used as charter schools.i have seen some schools that have been closed where the building is looking like its not being kept up,and the grass is getting tall.I hope the buildings just don't become eyesores. I saw on the news that vandals have broken into some of those buildings.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 389
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alot are up for sale. I know the Wilbur H. Wright School was sold. In just over 3 years the entire place has been gutted and whoever bought it is just letting it sit, rot and gather graffiti. Wouldnt have it any other way. The building was still filled with books, chairs, music stands, files and an entire machine shop complete with lathes and saws. Since then all of the machines have been broken open and the copper striped out.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2493
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Similar thread not too long ago:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/125438/129693.html

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems Detroit Public School officials are just overwhelmed with problems they have no idea of how to solve. You know maybe the janitors would have a feasible idea of how to clean up the mess. They couldn't do any worse.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i picked up a DPS directory at an estate sale last year, i counted the elementry schools, there were like 230 open this is in 67/68. While my "daughter was living downtown" last summer i drove around Detroit alot and saw a few of those schools, what a waste.

Jeanofarc
Username: Jeanofarc

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems that the city didn't care till the press got ahold of the story. Only a few of those schools are being watched. Did they want them to go to neglect? Why didn't they move the supplies and equipment to a safe place? I know of school teachers who came in and got stuff for their own classrooms because teachers often shell out a lot of money for the kids, even food because there is a lack of care on the level of the district, city, county, state, corporate, community, federal, you get my drift?
I'm probably going to ruffle some feathers here (again) to mention that scrapping is big business in Detroit for needy individuals. Often its the only work one can get to feed their families and pay the bills. It cuts down on despair, devistation and crime that harms people. It recycles and is good for the planet. When buildings go vacant and are not even secured and eventually torn down regardless of the condition, what is better and why bother caring about the buildings?
Who's to blame? Lets examine what can be done, such as allowing the sale at a low price before they get destroyed. The old music school may have become an artist collective had the city co-operated, now its just a another brick shell, canvas for graffiti because they are the only ones that envision and carry out opportunity on the buildings.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 290
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when i had a truck, i used to scrap but i didn,t consider my self needy, but thinking of it, if DPS did scrap out their schools themselves the money would be wasted yet again. Wilber Wright School is one scary place even in the day time.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPS just seems to like to forget that these old schools exist.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.