Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » RIP Matthew Blake « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bigdada
Username: Bigdada

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have all of the details, but I just heard that Matt Blake died last night of a massive heart attack. Matt was a great artist and true friend and will be sorely missed. A lot of folks will be gathering at the Old Miami this afternoon in his memory. Damn!

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not Matt Blake who works in the woodshop at WSU...? What a tragedy.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 334
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard a few hours ago, jus started cryin. The look on his face when he played thoes drums was worth the price of admission alone. I had a special respect for that guy.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... who was Matt Blake

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 849
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A great artist and friend of MOCAD. He was very young and will be sorely missed. See a piece in his memory at MOCAD in their new show.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 322
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can "Google" him for info and reviews on some of his work.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 140
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's so sad and strange. his art was amazing

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2051
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard about his death tonight at the Russell Industrial building while viewing the shows there. What an unexpected tragedy. He was so young. Matt had worked on the Millenium Bell in Grand Circus Park. I cant believe he is gone...

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7795
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Matt working on the Millenium Bell as well. I just drove by it today after the Tigers game, telling a friend of mine how it was constructed and how it was used in the Y2K celebrations downtown.

How tragic that such a talented guy is now gone. I'm shocked.

Alley

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and ironic, with this being Art Detroit Now! weekend :-(

(Message edited by alley on May 11, 2008)

Django

Post Number: 335
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im just feelin for his wife. He was so goddamn young.

Yeah, I was there for the Millenium Bell opening at midnite 2000 with CT and everybody. It wasnt his greatest piece, (I believe) but Im glad its there to remind me of him when I drive by.

I dont want to make it sound Like I was a good friend of his cause I wasnt. We would run into eachother at different metalshops around the city, different events, Like I said, I always had a special Respect for him. He had demons in the past (before I knew him) and he kicked their ass. He overcame some difficult shit as I was told.

I remember going over to his house with my dog Farnsworth, I said "Matt, my dog gets along with everybody and every dog, let them hang out" meaning my dog and his (Matt has a pitbull). Matt was unsure but gave it a try and his dog immediately locked his jaws onto Farns' lower lip, we were tryin to pull them apart but realized his dog was locked, if we kept pullin them apart, his dog would be poopin out my dogs lower lip the next day. Luckily I had a large screwdriver in my truck so I went and got it and pryed his dogs jaws off of Farnsworths lower lip. Dude we were a fuckin wreck. But Im laughin now thinkin about that afternoon with him.

Anyone has ANY memories of him, now would be the time to share them. Id like to see this thread for a while. Ill try and keep it updated with info on the funeral and what better be a kickass celebration wake in tribute to him.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 562
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How old was he?

Alley

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ROT5Su-bvEY
this link will take you to a video of Bogue playing at the Detroit Art Space '02. Matt was the drummer before Bill Hafer

Django

Post Number: 338
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think 42

Alley

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandyrabbit
Username: Sandyrabbit

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can not seem to find the words today, it's all just this incredible sinking feeling in the pit of my gut.
yesterday i found out that i lost one of the most inspirational people i have ever met in my life.
i have always had a way of pushing loss waaaay down into my being
and just dealing with it because i have no other choice. but for some reason i can't seem to lasso this one.
he was someone who was not only a brilliant artist and musician. but also one of the kindest people i was ever gifted to know. he took his time with every person he met and was sincerely interested in whatever they may have had to say.
he let them into himself and he cared enough to do the same.
a true one of a kind. people can only hope to find such greatness in themselves or others. he was just so incredibly refreshing and calming, an intense passionate human being and a damn good friend. he made an impression that will last my entire life.
we will all miss you matt.
i hope you are somewhere smiling and someone else is getting the chance to be inspired by. you were too big for this world. your greatness could not be harnessed.

i actually wrote this earlier but decided to add to this thread, here is the link the his previous misty, which has always been one of my favourites in this city, just like he was.

big hug to his lovely wife. i am so sorry for his family and for all of us.

http://www.myspace.com/mistytheband

(Message edited by sandyrabbit on May 11, 2008)

Alley

Post Number: 151
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(I love love the song Natural Disaster)

Sandyrabbit

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

every song on that demo was incredible eh?
i loved how those two worked together, i remember the first time i ever saw them play was at this strange yet amazing little venue called the car was on jefferson avenue.

it was quite surreal, the surrounding, the two of them, the great energy in the air. everybody smiling, enjoying one another.
times like those is what keeps here in detroit.

people like matt blake have always kept me here.
this just sucks.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12782
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy,

Are you OK?

Where are you right now?

Do you need company?

Sincerely,
John

Sandyrabbit

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm ok thanks john
just bummed. it's natural.
hope you are well. and thanks again.

Gannon

Post Number: 12785
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let this out, dearheart.

Do not keep it inside.

There are those who are here to help, me and Kate for two...and we will be around whenever you need us.

The next post will have my phone number, give me a ring or text to let me know I can delete it, but I want to make sure you have it.

You've got Kate's number, right?! Jean's?

Sincerely, you are too precious to go this alone...no matter how damn tough you want to show us all on the outside!

Love you,
John

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4798
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am deeply saddened by this premature passing of a great artist, musician and friend. Our relationship dates back to the days when fresh out of CCS he was a part of the dynamic Propellor collective with studios next to Stephen Goodfellow in a building now supplanted by the Veteran's Hospital.

In the 1995 Interventions show at the DIA, where I created an online interactive tour title "Total Intervention" of a reconfigured DIA, [where I virtually removed the art and replaced with that of Detroit artists :-)], I needed a industrial age station to hide the post industrial computer and monitor to complete irony. Matt built it for me creating an amazing computer station from scrap metal parts. The DIA eventually acquired the piece which can be seen in this picture.

Matt Blake

RIP my friend. Life is so unfair sometimes.

Gannon

Post Number: 12789
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, I DO know this gent.

This was Matt who had that terrible car accident back in the day and had to wear that huge halo for his neck troubles, wasn't it?

As soon as you said Propellor...Lowell...now it hits home.

I haven't seen him in a while, if he hung out at the Miami, neither of us recognized the other from back when.

Closer to my heart as well...what a terrific guy, the world just got a little colder again.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4799
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep that's him Gannon. I wondered yesterday when I heard of the tragedy at the MOCAD opening, where a small homage to him had been quickly placed, if that accident might have had some effect. He nearly died from it.

Matt Blake and Kristen Peplinski at the 4th Street Fair 2006 Detroit

Matt Blake and Kristen Peplinski at the 4th Street Fair 2006

Esteban
Username: Esteban

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot adequately describe my horror at receiving the news of Matt Blake's passing.
Matt, a member of the Propeller Boys, had their studio next to mine in Joell Landy's old warehouse on 262 E. Forest (The warehouse was torn down in the early 90's to make way for more medical Center.)
Matt had so much life-force - he was a joy to be around; friendly, intelligent. What a loss for his loved ones, friends and art community.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5060
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got the news Sat. AM and have been digesting it over the last two days.
I met Matt at the final party at 262 E. Forest, but didn't really bond until years later, when He and Kris moved into my old neighborhood.

I had looked at their 1st house when it was abandoned ruin and thought "What crazy people would take on this house?
My question was answered when Matt and Kristen bought it, and gradually turned it into something out of "House Beautiful". We bonded over junk-Both of us were pack rats who loved to comb the city for materials...Like many who spent time much time in Detroit, Matt learned to find beauty in what others saw as ugliness, and to make beauty out of what others saw as useless junk. So we would visit each others houses and admire each others latest treasure aquisititions...I admired the huge sink that he wrestled out of the ruins of the College of Arts and Crafts, he admired the huge sink that I plucked off a curb on West Grand Blvd. And we were always trying to offer surplus items to each other for "adoption". I still laugh when I remember him earnestly offering me a rusted-out 1980 BMW...

I also had great times visiting him at the amazing woodshop at WSU, which I never managed to use when I attended classes there, but got plenty of use out while I was fixing up my last Detroit house.

I tried to comfort myself in the fact that he died playing drums, but there's really no comfort to be found. Like so many of Detroit's Best and Brightest who have left us suddenly, we needed forty two more years of him, and now he's left us all shaking our heads; yes, by this time in life we are all familiar with Mortality, thank you, but it was far too early.

My heart goes out to his wonderful family and friends.

Esteban
Username: Esteban

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Follow-up:

I've placed an obit on the CorridorTribe page about Matt:
http://www.corridortribe.com/o bits/matt_blake/matt_blake.htm

Please post information about Matt here as it occurs.
(Special thanks to Lowell for letting me use a picture without permission.)

Thanks!

Django

Post Number: 341
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnesfoto, That was beautiful.
Im cryin again.

Sandyrabbit, you said it right on also. Ive lost better friends but never have been so touched by the loss of someone like I have his. Like I said, we were not close friends, Im awed by how much Im feeling by all this.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7804
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The blades of Propeller spin a little more wobbly now.

'Tis been a sad few days thinking about the loss of Matt now. The Detroit art scene is a little less creative with his passing.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

many condolences to those who knew and loved him. I regret that i only knew of him and some of his work.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on May 12, 2008)

Django

Post Number: 346
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got word of the funeral for Matt (I cant believe Im typing this) I havnt got the name of the funeral home but its on Thursday May 15th at 4 PM. The address is 461 Piuuette, Detroit Mi, 48202. Thats all the info I have at the moment but Ill update asap.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

461 Piquette is t-Plex. Are you sure?

Alley

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure this is the actual funeral

A memorial gathering for Matt will be held at 4 p.m., Thursday, May 16, on the third floor of the Piquette Model T Plant, 461 Piquette Ave., Detroit.

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=12863

Django

Post Number: 347
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, Im sorry, I got that info through word of mouth. I made a couple of calls, Thats what I got. Thank you for the correction. Its not the actual funeral but the memorial or wake as I understand, Also I should have mapquested it at least. Yes Its Piquette. Ill be givin Jake some shit for that bad info. I was wondering about that street name??

Alley, we still have some confusion though because the 15th is Thursday, I was told it was Thursday, Thats wwhy I posted it as the 15th.

(Message edited by django on May 12, 2008)

Alley

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thursday IS the 15th! Now I'm confused. Let me do some digging, I'll email Rebecca Mazzei and see if I can find out what's up

Alley

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, she emailed back that it's Thursday May 15

Django

Post Number: 348
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just sent her too, called Jerome, and bandmate Mike but no response. Thanks.

If your there Thursday say hello to the big guy with the eyepatch.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5066
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got this message, was asked to share with everyone:

This Wednesday’s, “This Week in Art” at Motor City Brewing Works was to feature Mr. Dave Roberts. However, the brewery will be postponing Dave’s show to next Wednesday, May 19th so that we can feature a memorial for our friend Mathew Blake who passed away over the weekend.

We are asking anyone who has an art work by Matt to contact us if they are interested in lending it to the brewery for that evening. You can contact John at the brewery (johnlinardos@motorcitybeer.com, or 313.832.2700) or Graem Whyte (graemwhyte@yahoo.com) to participate. Other ideas are welcome that would lend themselves to this show of respect and remembrance.

Again this call is for this Wednesday the 14th. Thank you for your kind attention to this posting.

“This Week in Art”

Motor City Brewing Works

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 514
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps this will help. From this morning's Free Press:

BLAKE MATTHEW STEVEN
May 13, 2008

age 43. Passed away suddenly of a massive heart attack Saturday, May 10. He leaves behind his beloved wife Hazel; parents Gerry and Carol Blake; brother Jeffery & wife Sandra; sister Kristin Smith & husband Marc; grandmother Edyth Blake; father in law Anthony Peplinski & his wife Jane; mother in law Karen Wiland & her husband Robert. An artist & musician, Matthew touched many lives in his short lifetime & will be missed by many. There will be a celebration of Matthew's life at 4 p.m. on Thursday, May 15 at the Piquette Model T Complex (3rd floor), 461 Piquette Ave. (betw. Brush & John R) Detroit.

May God rest his soul.

Davidburton
Username: Davidburton

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,

I knew Matt from High School. As you can imagine Matt was always smiling and full of life. We were in marching band together, played in talent show bands, and were both eagle scouts from the same troop. Matt and I even recorded together at a 16 track studio together. My heart and prayers goes out to all of you.

david burton

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4800
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This from Michelle Perron gallerist of the CCS art Gallery.

Detroit's Art Community lost a friend and gained an angel last Friday when MATTHEW BLAKE passed away. Matthew - artist, musician, beloved friend and CCS Alumnus - died on Friday, May 9. Following is information on two memorial events to be held this week:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MEMORIAL SERVICE:
Thursday, May 15 at 4:00 p.m.
Piquette Model T Plant, 3rd Floor
461 Piquette Avenue
Detroit, MI 48202
(On Piquette between Beaubien & Brush, corner of Beaubien & Piquette. Enter on Piquette. Parking either inside the building or on the street. Follow signs for 3rd floor access.)

Matthew's uncle will perform a service followed by words spoken from members of his family. Cards will be available for you to share your stories and thoughts of Matthew. Please bring pictures of Matthew that you would be willing to contribute to the family, as they would like to display them at the service.

If you have questions please feel free to call (248) 217-1017.

**Please dress warmly as the building is without heat.

Chandyside
Username: Chandyside

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard the news yesterday afternoon at work and it made the rest of the day pretty much insignificant. I knew Matt as one of the most inspired drummers I've ever witnessed and knew of his art as an admirer. he was a do-er. not a talker. A connector between people who otherwise might not have thought to be connected and every time i encountered him -- every damn time -- he had that infectious smile on his face, an indomitable spirit emanating from every pore of his being and i am immensely sad that this world can no longer count him amongst our number. damnit.

Django

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man Id love to get a video of Matt at a high school talent show. Just gives me a smile thinking about it.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP, Matt.

Lowell, is that Stewart S. in the photo above?

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit Today" on WDET is running a piece on Matthew right now. If you miss it, you can listen through the website later.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

craiggy reports memorial service to be held at 4pm today (thursday) at the "Piquette Plant" which I assume is Henry Ford's place. Missed the exact address. sorry

Baa_faa
Username: Baa_faa

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matty Blake. My friend. Your smile. Your talent. Your love for life, creativity, the city of Detroit. Just you being you meant so much to me. I can only say that you are back in art heaven where you came from. You will not be forgotten. God bless your soul. I will miss you for a long time. Or at least until my day comes and then we can catch up and compare notes and laugh together like we used to. Your ever loving bro. -Barrie

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 421
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never knew Matt, but I am touched by these posts. Unfortunately, I am all to familiar with losing people close to me. In the immediate aftermath, you want things to be the same, to be normal. But things will never be the same. So you have to find a new level of normal. And over time, you do.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7827
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This week's Metro Times had a nice article as well.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2850
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know Matt, but I had seen him around. Prayers to his family and friends as he certainly will be missed!

Metro Times piece: http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=12863

The Detroiter.com: http://thedetroiter.com/b2evoA rt/blogs/index.php?blog=2&titl e=matt_blake_a_small_tribute&m ore=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.