Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » "Michigan Cougar" is from Arizona(he found the job market more 2 his liking?) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 189
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://alpenanow.com/news/2008 /may/08/urban-mythlarge-cougar -killed-alpena-county/

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a excellent website on Michigan cougar sightings, http://www.savethecougar.org/

Give people credit with their encounters, when we have the internet and wildlife cable programs for so much information.

Consider that cougar sightings have never really gone away since the so called extinction of the Eastern cougar in Michigan.
And they just recently had to put down a wild cougar loose in the Metro Chicago area.
Why the DNR tries to avoid this issue is beyond me.

Bigb23

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just don't pet the kitty cat!

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 564
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have coyote in my backyard (literally) here in South Rochester Hills. It's weird to see them roaming about and hearing them howl at night.

Bigb23

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live North of R.H. and hear them all of the time, and close. But have not seen one in Michigan.
But check out how close the Cougar sightings are. And also Wolverines in the thumb!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2100
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, I thought I saw one (or two) cougars roaming through my old Detroit alley. :-)

(Message edited by DetroitRise on May 11, 2008)

Flyingj

Post Number: 191
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverines in the thumb, Bigb23? Y'know, once they got ahold of you they're impossible to shake off... I thought Wolverienes in Mich were run extinct like Grizzlies & Cali brown bears 'round here...

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cougars always seem to be on the prowl in Brighton, Plymouth, Canton and Milford. Your best chance to catch a cougar is to post up near the bar at a place like Lou and Carl's in Brighton. When you see your target buy her Mike's Hard Lemonade and wait for the magic.

Bigb23

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flyingj -

The DNR here says there is a wild breeding population in the thumb area.

Almost like Ann Arbor.:-)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4764
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good deal of northern Michigan does have terrain that is suited to mountain lions, and there are massive tracts of wilderness in which they can be harbored. They can thrive in the areas of the southern UP and NW Lower where dunes, bluffs, and rolling forests are preserved along the lake Michigan shore, and across the tip of the mitt where there are woods and farmland (often with livestock) on hills, and in western upper michigan where it is considerably more rugged with enormous tracts of preserved land. I certainly believe that we have a small but steady population of them.

Flyingj

Post Number: 192
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23, I heard the cluster in Ann Arbor was poached out of existence by Mountaineers?

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 644
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Mortgageking

Bigb23

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bigb23, I heard the cluster in Ann Arbor was poached out of existence by Mountaineers?

No, they are still breeding out there, check the A2 Craigslist. And the Mountaineers just put the mean back in Wolverine!

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a family of Bald Eagles setting up residence in the area of Greenfield Village / Oakwood Blvd. + Rotunda area in Dearborn.

Seen them with my own eyes, I have. Real close.

There are several coyote packs that roam that area too. Mangy little guys, much more shy than i ever thought.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 565
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FlyingJ, a joke is being made: a "cougar" is a middle-aged woman, usually a divorcee, who hunts the bars for young man meat. You've seen 'em. They're usually over dressed and over made up yet still look worn out.

Most usually have a tattoo above their yin yang that reads: Enter at your own risk.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had heard rumors of an eagle pair at Greenfield Village. Are they building a nest? Is a parent on the nest, presumably on eggs?

This would be exciting news.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 781
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

re: Wolverines in the thumb...

Breeding population? I'd love to see the/your reference. Stories off of the wire have evidence of one Wolverine, and the 'experts' were speculating that it was a stow-away from a load of trash brought over from Ontario (where Wolverines are still found and, evidently, scavenge garbage).

Flyingj

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spacemonkey, yes I know, thanks to the Faye Dunaway comeback hit of '07; http://www.monstersandcritics. com/dvd/reviews/article_137336 2.php

Bigb23, you see that? garbage-scavenging? I'd say Craig is posting from Columbus!

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 782
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, wait a minute...

I'm neutral in that fight!

Seriously, though: I'd be pleased to learn of a breeding population of wolverines, no matter the diet!

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 409
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder why no one has a definitive video or photos that show any cougars to put the question to rest. There are remote cameras that could be deployed. Another thought: why hasn't someone hired a tracker with dogs to locate and hunt one of the cats? Not to kill it but to tree it and get definite proof they exist. It would make a great story for a magazine or news show.

(Message edited by Eric W on May 12, 2008)

Bigb23

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig -

quote:

'experts' were speculating that it was a stow-away from a load of trash brought over from Ontario (where Wolverines are still found and, evidently, scavenge garbage

No, THIS is the Ontario wolverine that came over in the load of trash. Let's hope it doesn't breed!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.