Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Goldengate Cafe revisited « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 741
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are a Detroitohphile you cant get here soon enough. The most down home placeIve discovered in the city. I feel more like Im hanging out with friends at their house as opposed to being a patron of an establishment. The spot is actually a house turned into cafe. The proprietor, Doctor Bob Chiropractor straightens out backs and soothes muscles. Great landscaping. There were baby chickens roaming around,( a gift to Doctor Bob)when I stopped by the other day.In the back is a small dining area and counter. Help youreself to coffee or tea. Small hallway with bookcase and lounge area leads into the living room where on Friday night you can catch great local live entertainment in a very intimate setting. Extra tables are set up on those occasions. Tree house out front. Bonfires- Wednesday night drum circles.The patrons and volunteer staff is of the tolerant accepting peace and love crowd. Hippie types frequent the place.The quality of the organicvegan menu has improved since Ive been visiting in the last year or so.There was a five star blues quartet here a few weeks back. Goldengate is a great place for a positive vibe to listen to music, study and make friends with unpretentious amicable humans. Free wireless.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 285
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

huh? where is this place?

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 286
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

got it. have to try it out.

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/review.asp?id=117623

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2623
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get your colon irrigated at one end of the building and then go eat a burger on the other end. Doesn't sound like a very appetizing place to me. More power to the rest of you, but I think I'll pass on this one.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is your sense of adventure? It's a great place. Go even just to look at it. A yellow house set into a garden right on the corner of Woodward and GoldenGate (I think) full of interesting posters, artifacts, and lots of space for performances. A chiropractor works on your bones, right? Not your innards. And no meat there, it's vegan. They have drum night, too.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep trying to get my stockbroker woman friend to join me for a lunch hour in the sweat lodge there, but so far no luck.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2491
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In that yellow building?

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 744
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Charlotte. You all should consider a forum night there.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2494
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Golly. I remember them painting that building yellow (like 2 or 3 years ago I think), and as I recall it has some art on it. I did think that it was an odd color for a chiropractor office--makes more sense that they serve food. Even more odd if they do both. It's on my list of places to check out next time I am in town--not to far from UDM...

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone else amused by the name "Cheeks Colon Care"?

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not amused.

Frightened.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2842
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's their website: http://www.innatedetroit.com/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.