Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Local Gas Station Inspections « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5311
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This morning the price at DTW was reported at $4.09/gallon. Because of the recent spike in gasoline prices, I thought this Channel 7 story would be useful to others.

INVESTIGATORS: Gas Station Inspections
quote:

With prices skyrocketing at the gas pump… how do you know that you’re getting what you’re paying for? The State of Michigan is in charge of keeping tabs on gas stations to make sure they’re not cheating customers… but the Investigators have learned that our state is not nearly as aggressive as some others…

the video

These PDF files show the addresses (not the names) of local gas stations that failed quantity and quality tests in FY2006 or FY2007:
With that last table I was able to verify that a particular station was indeed the cause of check-engine lights illuminating after fill ups there -- on two different cars!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6582
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to go to those "Too much gas per dollar" stations.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew the Sunoco over here at 7 and Cardoni was a shit hole. They NEVER have regular or its always way cheaper. I hate that gas station, it's so rundown.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12759
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those who always seek out the cheapest gas might find themselves using old stock purchased from shady operators...which can certainly gunk up a fuel system.

Gasoline doesn't last forever...it is volatile and breaks down quickly, that's why you can't store a lawn mower or jetski or snowmobile without treating the gas in the tank with stabilizers.

For years and years, I used premium in every car I drove, including my Windstar minivan. The van ONLY developed problems when my mother started only using the cheapest gas she could find.

Took two vehicles to well over 200,000 miles with none of the usual gas line, filter, pump, or injector problems my friends had with the very same vehicles...and it wasn't because I drove them faster, either!

NOW? I choose not to afford even regular, so I bike or ride the bus.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6589
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Putting premium in a car that doesn't need it isn't necessarily good for it, nor is it "cleaner". Premium gasoline has a higher octane, which makes the fuel more resistant to detonation. An engine with a lower compression does not need gasoline with a high resistance to detonation. You are basically just giving the gasoline companies more money, and ending up with more unused gas vapor coming out of your tailpipe.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6590
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, Gas companies are more than happy to continue propogating the myth that mid-grade or premium gas are somehow cleaner for your car. It's all B.S., the cleaners and detergents in gas have nothing to do with the octane rating of the gas. They just know some people will pay more money if they believe it's better for their car.

Now, if your car requires high octane (most turbo-charged vehicles, my dearly missed Probe GT, etc.) because of high compression rates, then you should buy it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.