Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Windsor Star: New bridge to be in Brighton Beach « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DRIC, government bridge that is.

http://www.canada.com/windsors tar/story.html?id=af1f63a5-c1e 2-41f6-b778-242004908089

They seem to indicate that the bridge chosen and the plazas are all option "B" so that would translate to this bridge route:

http://www.partnershipborderst udy.com/pdf/Crossing_Locations .pdf

This Canadian plaza (also shows bridge route):

http://www.thepixelwarehouse.c om/detroit/pdf/PIOH3%20-%20Pla za%20B%20Crossings.PDF

And this US plaza:

http://www.partnershipborderst udy.com/pdf/Dec%202006%20-%20P racAltMatrix%20Alternative%200 2.pdf

Of course, these documents are all preliminary and kind of old now.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to see this moving forward.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the fact that I saw this on Montreal news first and not on American or Canadian media outlets, but w/e I am glad to see this being put into action.

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 209
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is one scenario:

The city of Windsor aka Eddie (I did it my way) Francis sues the Canadian government because he wants his Sam Schwartz GreenLink plan

Matty Maroun uses the time to build his new bridge (let's face it- he is moving full steam ahead on this)

Conspiracy thinking- is Eddie Francis actually working for Matty?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, Matty is building? I have noticed a lot of construction on the site immediately next to the bridge entrance.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hasn't delray suffered enough already?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fine, what's your solution allow Matty to twin the Ambassador and send more traffic through Mexicantown and Corktown?

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 314
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new bridge appears to be full-steam ahead for a variety of reasons. Namely--the exisiting single crossing location is a security risk. Any number of things that would put the Ambassador out of service for any length of time would quickly send the regional economy into turmoil--thus the feeling in the higher levels of government is that a second crossing at a separate and distinct location is important.
Additionally--on the Canadian side the new crossing can and will be directly connected to 401, unlike the Ambassador. Extending the 401 to the Ambassador could technically be done but I can't imagine the price tag to buy up the necessary properties.

Bottom line--Maroun may go ahead with his twinning project on the Ambassador--afterall, the existing bridge is getting to the point in it's useful life where it's getting increasingly expensive to maintain. This may be welcome to an extent in Windsor as he's now letting blocks of homes sit vacant and boarded up near the bridge site.

But for those who have a hate on for Maroun--the new crossing will be devestating to the Ambassador's business levels--particularly freight and commercial traffic--a huge portion of that will swing to the new crossing because of the freeway access on the Canadian side. If that's the case the Ambassador becomes a more locally-oriented crossing--much like the D&C Tunnel, with the new crossing taking the majority of the commercial and in-transit vehicular traffic. Simple math tells me 3 is better than 2...shorter waits more ease of travel.

As far as the issues surrounding GreenLink--it should be noted that the issues surrounding this access route, which is an extention of 401--are the jurisdiction of the Province of Ontario, whereas the bridge and plaza are the jurisdiction of the Federal government.

(Message edited by fastcarsfreedom on May 09, 2008)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6629
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So, Matty is building? I have noticed a lot of construction on the site immediately next to the bridge entrance.

On both sides of the river.

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 210
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also note Matty has purchased huge stretches of land along the riverfront south of the current Ambassador Bridge- on both sides of the border...

As stated earlier if the new bridge crossing as proposed by DRIC gets built the Matty would pretty much be out of business

A lawsuit by the city of Windsor plays right into Matty hands- tying up DRIC means Matty goes full steam ahead with twinning Ambassador and gets it done

As a side note, the DRIC route comes within 1.5 miles of the Ambassador Bridge and then turns west toward Brighton Beach and Delray- still not sure how this improves the air quality in the region

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3088
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I love the fact that I saw this on Montreal news first and not on American or Canadian media outlets, but w/e I am glad to see this being put into action.

Montreal isn't in Canada?

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 6122
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last I heard, BOTH bridges may go forward and one will not affect the other

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2498
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the sinkhole of 1954 over on the Windsor side?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rb336 wrote, "BOTH bridges may go forward and one will not affect the other"

Except as competition to each other, of course.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6631
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sinkhole was due to the Salt Mine, and the brine wells used in the process.

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still not particularly confident that the money for this project will be found anytime soon. We're looking at $1 to $2 billion for the US side of this, including a massive relocation of a multi-mile stretch of I-75 that makes the Gateway Project going on right now seem like child's play.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6485
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two days in Iraq= all's the money you'll need for a new Detroit River bridge. One more day out of that shithole and you'll have money, with change, for the Minnesota I-35 Bridge too.

jjaba, tells it like it tis.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6486
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba just did some calculations. There's exactly enough re-cycled steel coming out of Briggs/Tigers Stadium to build the Detroit River Bridge. Using local materials saves money.

jjaba.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.