Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Maheras Gentry Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 821
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only discovered this park recently and don't know too much background but it is a great hidden park does anyone frequent it? Just wondering about some more info on its recent renovations and what not...

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 822
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.miseagrant.umich.ed u/greenways/greenway01.html

Renf
Username: Renf

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also see:
http://www.detroit1701.org/Mah eras%20Park.html

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The park gets a lot of use in late spring and much of the summer during baseball season. The recent renovations to the ball diamonds were excellent. There's even one diamond with a grass infield. Since the renovations, though, it's been unclear exactly who is responsible for maintenance of the ball fields. Think Detroit/PAL has some kind of role. Rec. Dept. empties the trash occasionally. Things are slowly deteriorating though.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a couple of items to add. council was going approve the sale of the park property for the Clairepoint subdivision. Gentry and creekside community development retained an attorney. They proved that the city could not sell the park because the feds had given the land to detroit to be used as a park in perpetuity. Gentrys ashes are interred in the park. Also the rec center once had an outdoor pool that was used extensively by area youth. The city closed it.

there are three other east area parks from Maharis-Gentry to the grosse pointe border. AB Ford, Lakewood East and Mariners Park. My non profit applied for historic designation for the three named parks but the city conveniently lost the application. I have the petition number somewhere in my files and all historic info. i am glad I saw this thread since it reminded me to follow up on this matter.

Please use and enjoy these parks, they are very dear to us eastsiders.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 852
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Sumas. Any chance your Non profit is hiring? Or can one volunteer.
Send some info to Josephrashid@gmail.com

Bronco63
Username: Bronco63

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what the deal is with the boat slips in Maheras Park? Are they day use only, public, etc?

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Greyhaven Marina" was a state owned but city operated marina. It seemed to have been reserved for high ranking city officials for cheap annual rates. It is currently closed. The state and city argued for years over the port side Grayhaven property in regards to ownership. The city won about 1 1/2 years ago and the property sale was awarded to yet another Kwame buddie. The marina and land are to be developed as a private gated community. Just prior to closing, the city used a grant to do extensive dredging for this marina. How convenient for the new owners.

What is truly sad is that the state had plans to develop the marina as a public marina with a boat launch and other park amenities that would have enhanced Maharis Gentry.

It is possible that the new owners are leasing slips prior to development, I'll check it out today.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.