Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » What's in the Detroit River? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A number of years ago I remember that a very old canon was raised from the Detroit River...I believe it was near Cobo Hall, but I'm not sure. I'm wondering what other relics have been found in the River near Woodward but not raised.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear grumpy old ladies are found every so often. Seems they ask a lot of questions.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2081
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What's in the Detroit River?"

Water. :-)

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tunnel

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2321
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The GLMI at the Dossin Museum was responsible for pulling three historical cannons out of the River, and we got a lot of publicity for the Museum when Mal Sellers led a diving team to recover an Edmund Fitzgerald anchor live on Channel 4.
When we supported the Prohibition book published by WSU, we put a fair share of $$ into the Detroit Police Recovery team's efforts to locate and raise an old rum runner vehicle, but they were never able to find one after extensive side-scan searches up and down the River.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the Edmund Fitzgerald sank in Lake Superior? Was the anchor recovered from the Detroit River?

Fmstack
Username: Fmstack

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Edmund Fitzgerald was considered sort of cursed from the start -- before the wreck, it had had a number of minor mishaps, including the loss of its bow anchor in the Detroit River.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2251
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

way downriver there are a bunch of brand new 1941 Cadillacs that fell off of a freighter in a bad storm.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 6083
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are a bunch of model Ts in lake erie not far from the river mouth.

bunches of pieces of wrecked hydroplanes, leftovers from houdini's stunts
enemies of the purple gang

The_rock

Post Number: 2322
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going to have to question that one packman. I have black and white photographs of Chryslers stranded on the deck of the City of Bangor during a cold winter up in the Keweenaw peninsula when she went hard aground in the 20's. Fascinating pictures and a fascinating story.
And I heard of an incident regarding a car rolling off the T. J. McCarthy while being placed on deck down by the foot of Mt. Elliott.
But '41 Cadillacs in the Detroit River? No-way, Jose!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 538
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coho Salmon, Sturgeon, Walleye Perch, Freshwater Drum (aka Sheephead), Catfish.....the list goes on

56packman

Post Number: 2253
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a guy on WJR about 20 years ago talking about this, and callers who were around then were put on the air, they backed him up.
I'm not a scuba man so I can't say I've seen them.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

packman, check out this shipwreck link ... you can search by date of shipwreck, name of boat, cargo, etc. All Great Lake Shipwrecks from 1866 to 1999 ... kind of interesting for boaters

I didn't find anything that matched your description but maybe you'll have better luck.

http://www.baillod.com/shipwre ck/swayze/

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3113
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back about 1978 Homicide had a guy who copped out to killing his brother-in-law. He stated he threw the gun into the river off the Belle Isle bridge. He agreed to take the detectives to the spot where he pitched it.

The DPD dive team responded and searched the river bottom in the area he indicated.

They came up with fourteen handguns, and none of them was the one they were looking for.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 559
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is a trick question, because there is no Detroit River. What we call a river is actually a strait!

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 367
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimmy Hoffa

56packman

Post Number: 2255
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome--the ship didn't wreck, ti just got tossed around a lot, so it wouldn't appear on that list.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crystal, the anchor was from the bow of the vessel, & she lost it in 1974 at her dock in the Detroit River. She sank over a year later in Lake Superior. Divers recovered the anchor from the Detroit River in 1992. http://www.waymarking.com/waym arks/WM129M

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met a guy once who was into scuba. He would dive the river or maybe it was up in the lake, he claimed to have found a bunch of old liquor bottles still with just enough cork to hold the booze in. I understand he would pull one out once in a while for special occasions.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there any way to find out the schedule that the Edmund Fitzgerald carried out during the winter of 1974-75? What was the latest in winter in '74 and earliest in spring ' 75 that they would have traveled?

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

growing up one of my neighbors dove. he would hit the St. Clair river and scour the bottom where theres something like 20 or so...

he had an old bilge pump, 100s of bottles and pieces of flatware. it all lined his garage...

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once I promised a first-grade student anything he wanted if he did something. He asked to go to Canada through the Tunnel (he lived in sight of the Bridge). So, one day his mother and I took a ride and we went through the Tunnel to Windsor. The boy went from excited bouncing to limp, quiet and depressed. Finally he said that he thought that the walls of the tunnel would be "see-through" and that he would see all sorts of wrecks and ancient sailing ships, blind river creatures, etc.

Sadly, he's dead now - but I'm smiling at him as I read these posts.

Awfavre

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peachlaser, I am sure there are folks who have the information you seek, but this is not the best forum to find them. Try asking your questions on the Info Search page at Boatnerd. http://search.boatnerd.com/ Also, look at their Fitz page. http://www.boatnerd.com/fitz/

In the meantime, peruse the ssefo website, dedicated solely to the Fitz, her crew, & the families. http://www.ssefo.com/

Last but not least, there are some festivities of sorts being held near the site of the old Great Lakes Engineering Works this summer to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Fitz’s launching. The website below is not particularly helpful, but the guy who runs it is the ringmaster for the festivities. http://www.ssedmundfitzgerald. com/

The_rock

Post Number: 2325
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Awfavre. I made my reservation for the Lock 7 a few days ago, and Ed tells me he is not sure my photo of the Oakglen made it up on the dining room wall yet. I can see why, since the wall is pretty well filled-up with photos taken the last 40 years or so. He has some "in storage".
I might find a spot and put it up myself!

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 2600
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

southwest ...what a wonderful but sad story...I wreck dived in the St Clair when I was a kid...we left from the Roosertail on a houseboat that a person had docked there...while diving in a sunken barge a huge sturgeon emerged from the muck and darted right by my mask...scared the sh-- out of me...but what an adventure..that same day we had to do a search and rescue for a drowning victim..since I was a minor at the time we were at the farthest staging area ...the current in the straits were extremely swift and hazardous for beginning divers..I was a senior advanced diver at the time...even so i was very glad they found the bodies way before we could...yes I was only in 9th grade at the time....that would have left an impression

Awfavre

Post Number: 248
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Rock. Yeah, we looked for it when I was there. Ed thought he might have had it in one of the binders of photos. I looked in a couple binders for it, then got side-tracked by a boat going by. Sorry! :-)

Snoringbeagle
Username: Snoringbeagle

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One time they found the head of a woman floating along the bank of the river by chene st.

The cops fished it out and the coroner said the victim was raped before beheading and then tossed in the river!?

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 591
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriviera-

No no no....word is, Jimmy Hoffa was ground up and served for lunch, as hamburger at a downtown hotel. There are assorted mobsters with steel pieces tied to their ankles down there though.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the late 70's we were down at the "foot of Southfield" or where Southfield dead-ends and there were police cars, we asked what was going on and some guy snagged something fishing and it was a garbage bag with human body parts in it, he freaked out and let it go in the current, they were looking for it. Don't know if they ever found it.

The_rock

Post Number: 2327
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My contact in Flint tells me that about a dozen cars in the Flint River have now become visible because of dredging and low water levels. A dozen!
The police are trying to ascertain their VIN numbers to tie them in with previous thefts, insurance fraud and other crimes.

IF a Dexter bus is found there, it looks like I will be coming out of retirement.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 180
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awfavre, thanks for the links. The reason I am interested is because my wife and I lived in Duluth during the winter of 1974-75 and our place was on the hill that overlooked the port. I've wondered if the Edmund Fitzgerald was one of the ships that we saw in the port. It was frozen most of the time we were there but there was a period they used bubbles to keep the port open while it was icing everywhere else.

Awfavre

Post Number: 249
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck getting the info, Peachlaser. You can sometimes still see bubbler systems in action on certain boats in layup during the winter. I didn't realize they did it with an entire port. Interesting stuff.

And a correction about the 50th anniversary of the Fitz launching: the latest on the Regional Page at Boatnerd says it's been cancelled.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 255
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley, hilarious! LOL and thanks!!

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 883
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently read something how dredge materials from local waterways have to be disposed of in a safe manner due to toxins. This seemed like a sad reality and got me thinking. How contaminated are the bottomlands of our local lakes such as small Oakland Co. Lakes to Lake Saint Clair. What about rivers like the Rouge and Detroit. How bad are the toxins embedded in the soils of the waterways. Anyone have some educated information on that kind of stuff. How polluted are our waters?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 675
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on a canal off a lake W. of Pontiac. Several years ago, we had the canal dredged. The DEQ said the soil was contaminated from an old landfill which was farther up the watershed and had been closed for many years.

The dredgings were pumped into huge plastic bags where the water could drain over the fall/winter/spring. They then trucked the drained muck to a sanitary landfill.

(Message edited by jrvass on May 10, 2008)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walleye are in the river, Carp too

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a news article a few months ago about several cars being pulled out from the bottom of Terry Lake in Pontiac (Baldwin/Montcalm area).

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 339
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a little off the subject but I ran into an old friend last night at the stick. Hes starting to get into video, since hes a diver hes currently assisting with documenting the dismantleing and sinking of a large naval ship down in Virginia for an artificial reef. They have to remove all contaminates. I saw a documentary on the same kind of thing with an aircaft carrier.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 387
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cement shoes

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 746
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some items in the Detroit historical museum. A muzzle loading rifle from the 1700's was found by Detroit police divers. I bet there are some relics from the prohibition era.

The_rock

Post Number: 2334
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The carrier was the once proud Oriskany.
What is the name of the vessel in question? There are still a few old-timers tied up in the James River Reserve Fleet awaiting their fate.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand that a nuclear bomb went missing in the Detroit River near the foot of Woodward back in the 50’s. It was said to be a time bomb set for...?...tic...tic...tic...

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 193
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peachlaser, there's a pretty good story about Ogelbay Norton, the owners of the Edmund Fitzgerald & how their sexual harassment case up there in the Iron Range blew the whole caselaw on it wide open;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J enson_v._Eveleth_Taconite_Co.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 194
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant to throw in this round-up of reports from Deetroit River divers;
http://www.whiskymag.com/magaz ine/issue50/12005903.html
http://community.livejournal.c om/blackintellects/139565.html
http://www.thenewsherald.com/s tories/120804/loc_20041208033. shtml
http://www.thefedoralounge.com /showthread.php?t=14460&page=3

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.