Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Project « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chrisjo_chrisjo
Username: Chrisjo_chrisjo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello to everyone!

I am new to this forum. I am currently studying Documentary Photography at the
University of Applied Sciences and Arts. I am
planing to shoot an essay about the city of Detroit for my final year project.
I have read and researched a lot about Detroit. during my research I, of course, got to know the problems of the city and its residents. I do not want to focus on the ruins of Detroit only, but on the people living under the current situation.
I am looking for people and stories, to show the current situation: the bad, the good, the new, the old. Perhaps someone who lost his job from the car industry or a community developing interesting projects. People who could tell me something about the mortgage crisis.
Besides my studies, I am working as a freelance photographer for this newspaper, but as I said, this project is my final year project to get my diploma degree. In the first place, it has not the purpose to be published.
My credo in journalism is working on subjects, which have hardly any chance in the daily run of headlines - journalistic orphans. I try to tell stories about people and their daily lives.

I am very glad for every help or support.

Thank you very much!

chris

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrisjo,

You've given yourself an awfully broad range of potential subjects. All 900,000 Detroiters could give you stories of the types listed. Have you thought about narrowing down your topic?

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 556
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This site might be good for idea starters:

http://www.detroitblog.org/

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My credo in journalism is working on subjects, which have hardly any chance in the daily run of headlines - journalistic orphans.

Wow, really groundbreaking insight into the pitiful condition of a failing rust belt city. That's never been done before.

How about telling a story that hasn't been done to death.

bis du Deutscher?

Chrisjo_chrisjo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,

ja, ich bin Deutscher. Do you really think the story has been told to death? It could be... I am thinking about it quite the same sometimes. But on the other hand, I cannot remember any good photo story about Detroit in the last years... but I am sitting here in Germany and I do not know much about the situation in Detroit or America...

Narrowing down the topic is difficult, but I would like to cover on these aspects: car makers and workers, music scene and poverty contrasts richness...

ok, I know Michael Moore did it with Roger and Me over ten years ago...

But thanks for your responses, I will check out the detroitblog

Thanks and I appreciate further discussing on the subject...

Grüße aus Hannover

Chris

Gnome

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christian,
Wir brauchen positive Geschichten. Geschichten ungefahr Detroit. Es gibt viele Geschichten, zu erzahlen, aber ich denke, dass Sie die Geschichte um ein Haus erzahlen. Oder eine StraSSe.

Heidelberg StraSSe.

Es war eine deutsche StraSSe. Deutsche Leute. Deutsche Familien. Viele haben auf Deutsch hat besessen Geschäfte gearbeitet. Sie haben Deutsch gesprochen. Es war Deutschland in Detroit.

Aber ist geandert. Das Deutsch speichert geschlossen. Die Familien haben weg bewegt. Jetzt ist es eine StraSSe der Kunst. Es ist Kunst. Hassliche Kunst. Hubsche Kunst. Abfall als Kunst.

http://www.heidelberg.org/hist ory.html

There are many family lines from Germany to America. The wars broke those lines. Many Germany families tell stories that start, "Uncle Herman went to America and we don't know what happened to him."

Tell that story. Tell the story of Heidleberg StraSSe.

Your idea is too faceless. Same story can be told in Pittsburgh or Gadansk or Detroit. It is the story of the business machine eating the hearts of workers. Das Kapital is the same story.

Nothing new to tell.

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a story to tell. Come visit the start of a community garden in a diverse neighborhood made of hispanic, african-american, polish and arab-americans. We will be working on Saturday May 17th from 9AM-3PM at Ryan Playground 5741 Faust Detroit, MI 48228 borders: southfield rd - Warren - Ford Rd - Evergreen Contact: Carla Thomas 313.784.8804 We are establishing a fruit and vegetable garden to provide fresh produce to our neighbors and local food banks. There are over 1,000 homes in my neighborhood that are empty.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 736
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to show you a positive story of someone who loves living in Detroit despite its problems. I can also give you a tour of Detroit from an insider's perspective.
Contact me at Jpierce@insidedetroit.org if you'd like my input.

Chrisjo_chrisjo

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello!

Great to get your responses! DANKE SCHÖN!

@Gnome: of Course I know Heidelberg Project and I very much would like it tell s tory about the Heidelberg Project I contacted them already. Ich gebe Dir recht: positive Geschichten sind wichtig! Aber ich möchte auch gerne die hässliche Seite des Kapitals zeigen... ich muss, denn die Geschichte von Detroit kann sich immer wiederholen. Why did you write Strasse with SS? I hope you did not want to allude to something...?!

@Topflight: all right, I will come around and contact you! Thanks!

@Harmonie: okay...

I will arrive in Detroit on Monday by the way and I will stay till mid June

Gnome

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot create umlautes or the S-set ... no allusion to the SS or anything ...

Chrisjo_chrisjo

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all right, I thought so by myself:-) I will visit Heidelberg Project and I will have a lookaround in detroit soon. Ich bin sehr gespannt!

But I have a further question: you said "Wow, really groundbreaking insight into the pitiful condition of a failing rust belt city. That's never been done before." The subject was surely covered often - but I really do not know a long term photographic essay about the city without only focusing on the ruins, but on the people. If you know one or similar work, I would be very glad if you could give me some information.

Thanks!

chris

Gnome

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =qLcvcGUn-KU

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.