Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Wealthy detroit neighborhoods « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what are all the wealthy detroit neighborhoods? i know the chicago-edison, palmer woods are on the west side,and the indian village is on the east side.i don't think the southwest has any mansions
by the way where exactly is the manoogian mansion
located,i heard its not far from belle isle,but it must be kind of hidden cause i've never seen it when going to belle isle.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11622
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Manoogian is south of Jefferson on the water. It is in the Berry sub which is a nice, small sub between Jefferson and the water on the way to Belle Isle. The address is 9298 Dwight Street if you want to mapquest it.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2250
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rancho Del Rayo

still some investment opportunity there, despite George's passing.

Jt1

Post Number: 11623
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS - I shoudl have clarified it is on the way to Belle Isle if you are heading towards downtown on Jefferson.

I guess 'on the way to' depends on which way you are going. :-)

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 604
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Rancho Del Rayo Deluxe, too. (same area, a block west)

It's sad to here about George. He was a great booster for Detroit.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it depends on what you call "wealthy."

If "wealthy" is middle class, then Sherwood Forest and East English Village are some. :-)

Jt1

Post Number: 11626
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point but I would say Sherwood Forest is probably upper middle class while EEV is middle to lower middle class.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4747
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Splotches of midtown and downtown are now decidedly geared toward wealthy people (not in the truest sense, but in the sense of people-- usually younger-- with a good stream of income that can be allotted to so-called luxury condos/lofts, or in the sense of some older people with decent savings). It seems to me that the neighborhoods with the highest incomes/average personal wealth are Palmer Woods and Indian Village.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2070
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And with the Manoogian Mansion point, I'm positive there's some middle class wealth along Jefferson Ave.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on May 07, 2008)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4748
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the average demographic of people living in the Gold Coast apartments? I don't know anyone who lives in these buildings, but have occasionally come across listings for purchase of apartments in places like Alden Park Towers.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 667
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trick question. All Detroit neighborhoods are filled with hoodlums, gangsters, hookers, and crack addicts. Nobody is wealthy in Detroit.

Sincerely,

Typical Free Press Forum Poster

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes that's what i meant upper middle class.
where is rancho del rayo deluxe,i never heard of that?,Dds.

thanks jt1 for where the manoogian is, the mayor has invited me to a party,but i didn't know how to get their,lol,just kidding.
lol, el_jimbo at the all detroit neighborhoods are filled with hoodlums,etc.lol.jay leno's tonight show joked that he didn't even know detroit had houses,lol.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 820
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hubbard farms has some wealth but not like the other areas more like corktown and woodbridge than an indian village. Also Lonyo has some nice sections but not that type of wealth.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4749
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Corktown seems to have a similar demographic dynamic as Midtown, but with a few more families who have been set up there for awhile. Woodbridge (the old part) is the sort of accessible, diverse neighborhood that seems to me to be par for the course for a typical major city-- mix of renters and owners, mix of age groups, mix of incomes (but few really wealthy people if any), reasonably dense-- but we have too few neighborhoods like this in Detroit. Much of Mexicantown, including Hubbard (a great little place but more historically wealthy than presently wealthy), and a few other places like West Village seem to fit this billing. All told, though, it's a very small percentage of our City.

1300 Lafayette has rich people, right?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.