Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Westsiders and eastsiders « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm a west sider,i have always noticed when i go on the east side,that they are more relaxed about the way they look,i see eastsiders going outside with rollers in their hair,and walking barefoot or with houseshoes on to the store.it seems to be acceptable there.while on the west side people don't usually do that,without being laughed at.i was told that its probably like that because people who lived on the west side before eastsiders came didn't allow people into their stores like that,or whatever.i also noticed that east side homes are bigger,and cheaper,while west side homes are smaller and more expensive.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh gawd, not ANOTHER eastsider/westside battle.

Where's East_detroit, Gistok, Jjaba and Chitaku? :-)

BTW, eastside still has more class.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 580
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever read about Eastside and Westside differences.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2069
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, you could tell a westsider and eastsider apart by the way they drive.

Eastsiders know how to time the lights down Gratiot and Jefferson (35-40 MPH from downtown to the city border).

Westsider would either be flying or driving too slow.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3109
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Eastsiders can't time the lights on Grand River for dog poop.

Westsiders drive clean cars. Eastsiders drive cars with smushed fishflies all over them three months of the year.

Steve
Username: Steve

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never actually seen an eastsider. Is there some place you can spot one on the west side?

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba should show up soon. He just got booted out of the Denby High forum.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Ray, well I see no problem in that. It's like Grand River is always deprived from any real traffic volume.

Westsiders are lost without their fancy expressways (DODGE THE LODGE!).

Easisders can utilize the surface streets no problem. :-)

E

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm, it really wasn't a battle,i was just pointing out things i noticed.i know people on both sides,and those are the things i noticed.my cousins and friends on the eastside do walk to the store with houseshoes,one of my cousins even walks down the street barefoot.lol.when she comes to the west side she doesn't do that.i have noticed their houses are bigger and cheaper,one of my cousins has a huge closet the size of a guest bedroom,while my house on the west side ,I can barely walk in.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's simple: Everyone on MY side is perfect, and everyone on THE OTHER side is evil. Really, folks, this gets kind of tiring after awhile. Could we please grow up and start uniting instead of dividing!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12660
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha-Ha, WE get THREE major spokes of the street wheel on the west-side...you eastsiders only get TWO.

Actually we get most of Woodward, too, my daddy always said the divide went to JohnR before Hamtramck.

NYAH-nyah.

Animalparade
Username: Animalparade

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The difference is quite obvious. Westsiders have underbites, and wear a various assortment of gold chains. Eastsiders, on the other hand, have overbites, and tend to have a greater appreciation for cross-eyed children.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2072
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon just put my case to rest.

Plus, westsiders apparently can't count. There's really 4 arteries on that side of town and 2 on the eastside (the .5 being Woodward and Jefferson). Many of the arteries on the westside are pointless when you have "dodge the lodge." :-)

(Message edited by DetroitRise on May 07, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 12671
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jefferson, Michigan, Grand River.

Jefferson, Gratiot.

Woodward, divided.

Tell me the fourth I've missed...

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FORT ST. good man!

FORT ST.

Gannon

Post Number: 12672
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no, that ain't a spoke.

Is it?!

heh

I never looked at it that way, only Jefferson towards downriver.

Heck, Fort didn't get a ray on Frederick's Spirit, did it?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2074
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it's 6-lane and SW Detroiters use it to commute to and from downtown (don't forget the Post Office and WCCCD).

Not to mention, it was once an extention to Gratiot.

So I'm sure it's an artery. :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 12674
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, you're talking arteries, I'm talking spokes.

H-m-m-n-n. Back to the map.

I thought Fort Street might get one to the Fort.

Gannon

Post Number: 12675
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that I look at it, Fort is a better spoke than Jefferson.

So that gives the westerns 3, the easterns only 1...and we have to figure a compromise on Woodward.

Jefferson is a lame-ass bent spoke, so we'll just eliminate it from discussion...heh.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6475
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba saw a guy with one shoe on the Westside.
"So you lost a shoe," jjaba said.
("No, I found one.")

"You live around here?"
("No, I'm from the Eastside, around Charlevoix."

jjaba, true story.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 373
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL @ Jjaba. Westside 4 life!

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the difference between Miss Westside Detroit and bigfoot?

One weighs 400 pounds, is covered with hair, and smells like a garbage dump.

The other one has big feet.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overall i do not like the eastside, no offense i have friends that live there, but the eastside to me seems like a different state with how they do stuff there especially in Sterling Heights. i cant stand that place, and yea some houses there are bigger but thats cause its cheaper thats why.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2076
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's ok Umbound, I feel the same way about the westside.

It's just so strange and backwards (to me).

The western suburbs (especially Livonia) and all of Oakland County is a complete mess. :-)

(Message edited by DetroitRise on May 07, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 12707
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh shit. WE'VE got to claim Oakland County?

I thought that was YOURS.

Damn.

Can we start a southside/northside debate...or nearburbs/farburbs one?

I just feel out-of-sorts on the eastside, but your beautiful women keep me coming back.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, 75-90% is WEST of John R. (and technically, north of 6 Mile, John R. is the east-west border, and Oakland county starts north of 8 mile), so yeah.

Besides, WE'VE got to claim Sterling Heights!, so what the heck? :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 12711
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh it was NORTH of Hamtown...I knew my daddy's info on the proper line had to be right, I just didn't hear him correctly. heh

Since Oakland County doesn't want US, but we have to claim Livonia either way...let's just say we're even if the west-siders can throw all of Oakland County to the curb.

Then the Lodge problem isn't so tough.

Animalparade
Username: Animalparade

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i would like to debunk the theory that eastsiders are more likely to wear their curlers in public. today in farmington hills, i saw not one but TWO women at a kroger's with curlers in their hair.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3208
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure they were women?

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Farmington Hills, I don't believe it. They must at least had a scarf or hat on.

I'm starting something now.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2415
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought all east-side women were born with curlers in their hair. :-)

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 557
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like Kroger is running that Dress Up Like An Eastsider promotion on Tuesdays again.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We weren't born with curlers. Those are too big for a baby. It was perm rods.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah yes the eastside! Home to Belle Isle, Harper Woods and we have more suburban style development!

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Westsiders are like rubber and Eastsiders are like glue.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 701
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ha-Ha, WE get THREE major spokes of the street wheel on the west-side...you eastsiders only get TWO" quote by Mr Gannon

G. as I recall, the last three years Ive been comming to your loft on the East side. Are you technically grandfather claused in as always a Westie, as I believe your fathers over there?

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East Side always seemed to be more blue collar.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6943
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's simple: Everyone on MY side is perfect, and everyone on THE OTHER side is evil. Really, folks, this gets kind of tiring after awhile. Could we please grow up and start uniting instead of dividing!

Chill out Retroit... we have fun with this Eastside/Westside topic about once a year. We never take it seriously, so neither should you.

Now to repeat what I said in last years thread, and the year before that...

Westsiders... who are so used to streets on the grid system with roads going mostly north/south and east/west... whenever they go to the east side and find streets not according to the 4 compass point... they get confused and go screaming back to the west side. :-)

Even the DetroitYES spell checker likes the east side better than the west side. If you spell check "Eastside" and "Westside", Westside comes off as a spelling error, whereas Eastside rightfully shows as being valid! :-)

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G: Eastside is the valid side ... thanks ... we will take visitors

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, you guys are a riot! I'm just lurking and laughing...

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 2838
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do we consider Hamtramck to be like a neutral zone?

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked this question before. What am I and Jman supposed to be called as we grew up in Highland Park. We probably figure both sides as alien to us. The Woodward corridor was mostly what we knew.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2281
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highland Park is neutral.

Since Hamtramck is completely EAST of Woodward and John R, then it's the eastside. :-)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this settles it, i should just send Cub his plants rather then risk getting lost on the eastside or worse.

Annaanna
Username: Annaanna

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I know is that all the best doctors in town live on the westside, but work on the eastside as they get paid by the EASTSIDERS! gUeSs they don't have much time to spend w/their neighbors anyhow! But honestly folks, have lived on both sides of town and now have moved up NORTH! lol

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 199
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Westsiders... who are so used to streets on the grid system with roads going mostly north/south and east/west... whenever they go to the east side and find streets not according to the 4 compass point... they get confused and go screaming back to the west side.

Gistok, you nailed it. I, as a westsider confess to the above. I thought I would never get home from the Houston-Whittier, Hayes, Kelly area.

Jgavrile, H.P. is not neutral. You're an eastsider. Beresford, correct? I'm a westsider from Waverly.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Westside seems like a vague sprawl; a sort of urbanized Kansas. Since its services duplicated those on the Eastside, there was seldom a reason to cross Woodward. I guess if you grew up on the Westside, you wouldn't know any better.

Jgavrile

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman, I guess you are right. you are one street off for me as I lived on Winona,between Brush and Oakland.Guys your age that lived on Winona were Gary Black and Jim Valasanno.John Mclosky,and the Piston's player George Lee.
Knew a lot of people on Beresford though.
Did you ever have Al Halper for 8th grade at Barber? He is still kicking and I usually go to lunch with him at least once a year. He plays softball every day in the summer. He has to be in his 80's. Looks great. He told me Mr. Brusca died last year. He sure has a lot of stories growing up on Hastings, when he was a kid.
I never really knew much about the East side. My Uncle had a farm on Groesbeck and 9 1/2 mile. That is about the only time ,as a kid I went to the East side.My Grandmother and most of the rest of the family lived on the West side.So I learned that side of town a whole lot more.

Jman

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew John and Danny McClosky, George Lee was a friend of my brother Terry. George had to stoop half over to get in our front door. When we were young adults, I pitched a softball to George and he hit the ball one handed onto the roof of the Masonic. A.D. Mclain, John Prudian, Linda Poe, Richard Schachinger, Steve Pereny, and Gary Cruce all lived on your block. Quite a fertile street. I don't remember the other names you mentioned.

Jgavrile

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman you got some I forgot. There was another good looking ,sort of tall gal named Susan, Can't remember her last name, lived east of Prudians. I know John McClosky used to tease her all the time.Prudian, lived right next door to the McClosky;'s, right across from me.Linda Poe, the other way.RayAnn Tarpinian right next to her. John Prudian was sure a good drummer. Sometime in the 70's he committed suicide?? never found out why. Yea, hitting the ball on top of the Masonic was quite a feat. Didn't like going up there to get the ball. Sort of scarry near the edge,even though it was a flat roof. Brusca would send one of us up there to get it.
As to the other names, Jim Nicholas lived right on the NE Brush corner, then Gary and Diane Black, then Jim and Barb Valassano. maybe they were younger than you, but older than me. Jim Nicholas was into ham radio. Gary Black had some motor cycles and always was smoking a pipe., Jim Valasanno became a cop in H.P.

Jman

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about Mr. Brusca. He always made each student feel special. The teacher before him was Mr. Garvilla. Meanest s.o.b. I ever came across. I sure was glad when Mr. (Andy, I think) Brusca came onto the scene.

Steve Pereny must have been your next door neighbor. His family moved to Detroit around 1952.

Jgavrile

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman Don't remember Pereny?? They might have lived East of me in the house that the Nassar's lived in?? The sons owned S & M appliance on Victor. The parents lived next to us in Winona. Most homes East of ours , up to Oakland ,went through a lot of transition and change of neighbors in the 50's.
My folks used to live on Pasadena in the 20's and then moved to Winona in the 30's.
Mr. B could sure use the paddle when needed. I tasted it a few times. He was a good guy for sure. Always called us "Men"
He became the principal of the Thompson middle school they built across from my folks in the 60's and now is abandoned. Took all those homes from Brush ,east ,half the block . I think McClosky's house ended next to the new school when they were done. You don't recall that gal Susan ? She use to play tennis.
Email me when you get a chance, we can talk more without cluttering the forum.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck? My dad used to say it was a foreign country...Little Poland...stuck in the middle of Detroit.

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 229
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.