Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Lily's Detroit (film on 56 this evening) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone else catch Lily's Detroit on channel 56? Fascinating: Lily talking about growing up in D and HP, interspersed with modern video showing those neighborhoods as they now look. She seemed genuinely astonished, and sad, viewing the streetscapes in which she once was a child.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found a pretty extensive set of excerpts on this site:

http://www.captainhookup.com/3 ac/lily.html

Really remarkable in the depth and descriptive quality of her recollections. I think I'm going to go ahead and order the whole thing.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might too. I'm lucky I can remember what I did last week. Think it's old himmers setting in

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not quite enough for Alzheimer's, but I think I might have middle heimers. You know, where you get up from the living room to go into the kitchen, but by the time you get there you don't know why you went in the first place.

One thing struck me about Lily's parents' generation, and this was true of my grandparents who might have been about the same age. Most people of that generation lived in housing owned by others and never came close to owning a motor vehicle. My mother's parents were thought of as well off because they owned a grocerette (which they lived behind, in a 750 square foot apartment, they and their four daughters), and he had a car (a 1965 Dodge sedan which, when he sold it to my cousin in 1987, had 21,000 miles on it).

Our standards for what a basic "middle income" lifestyle is, is vastly beyond what it would have been fifty or sixty years ago. Nobody today I think would consider a family of six living in 750 square feet well off, no matter what else was going on in their lives. Or, for that matter, a family with one car which was rarely ever driven anyplace.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.