Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Macomb County Votes to establish County Executive « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6783
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I just heard it on the 11PM Channel 4 Newscast... Macomb County voters have approved establishing a County Executive office. Only 3 other Michigan counties have one... Wayne, Oakland and Bay counties.

A commission will be established to spend 2 years on deciding the nuances of what form the County Executive will take.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vote did not establish a County Executive, it called for election of a charter commission to re-write the county charter. The new county charter may (most likely) will include a county executive. This is good for Macomb County in that the Board of Commissioners argue work that City Council and can never agree to get anything done. They are stuck because the Dems and Republicans cannot get along (one of them is that idiot Leon Drolet).

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob is right, this election result only creates a charter commission. The next step is to elect the members of that charter commission. Then they go to work hammering out a new proposed charter, which when finished will be placed on the ballot for voters to decide if they like it. Assuming their proposed charter includes a County Executive form of government, the new charter must be approved by a majority of the voters for the change to an Executive form to happen.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I voted yes, but is there some reason this vote couldn't have waited until August ? Macomb's financial picture didn't warrant the cost of a special election. We're also going to spend over a million bucks on this commission just to come up with a new proposal. Unless the amount of total Commissioners is reduced accordingly, this will just be another waste of the taxpayer's money.

Bob

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After all the elections, theoretically a Macomb County Executive would be elected sometime in mid 2009. Since people are fairly upset with the Board of Commissioners in Macomb County and their lack of actually making a decision on how to fix Macomb's cronic budget deficit of the past few years, any change that will get results will be a welcome one.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7333
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is truly the end of Macomb County.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

L. Brooks Patterson has a son...

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 364
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"L. Brooks Patterson has a son..."

That is not funny.

Gistok

Post Number: 6788
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul has been a decent poster on this forum. I don't think that he would have said what he did, had he known that L. Brooks Patterson recently lost his son in a car accident.

Living in Charlotte NC, he probably hadn't heard. I think his unwitting comments were in reference to Macomb County, and not out of poor judgement.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 365
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5305
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PATTERSON'S SON MOURNED

So what are the long and short lists of those with a chance to become the MC executive?

Bob

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark Hackel, Rep. Brandenburg, Drain Commissioner, and there was one other name mentioned.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2500
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops. My bad. Takes a long time for news to travel this far. I didn't do any research before posting that statement. Simple accident on my part. It's hard to keep up with the entire daily goings on up that way, but I try. Some things get past me. I wasn't trying to be insulting. Condolences to his wife and children.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5389
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macomb County is run by two bit politicians as it is. You get all these boomers with the 80's mentality running the show.

Gistok

Post Number: 6799
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rep. Brandenburg called his county commission predecessor "a faggot". Nuff said about that slimeball.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Four words to sum up the quality of Macomb County politicians:

State Senator David Jaye.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.