Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Adopt A Highway « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the spirit of giving back and cleaning up my own yard so to speak, I had my girlfriend call on behalf of my company I own to sign up an adopt a highway stretch of the road. So the lady tells her, we don't cover Detroit because the areas are too dangerous and there are too many land slopes.

Man, what kinda crap is that? Have I missed newsflashes where program participants have been robbed etc? I really wish I had been the one on the phone when she told my girlfriend that. I hope this is nothing more than another case of someone in outerland (Lansing) afraid of Detroit and making up a reason not to sign up participants. No I don't want to sign up for one of the stretches of land in the burbs or near the airport.

She said that 8 and Woodward might be available but wasn't sure, so we are going to check back. Just really sucks that when you want to help out and clean up things, there is some BS excuse.

I see all kinds of signs around the city about this and that org adopted this stretch, but they haven't held up their end of the deal. Anyone else had any luck with this program?

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is truly sad. Honestly, it kind of defeats the purpose of adopt a highway if MDOT decides it only wants to make the "nice ones" available. There's got to be someone up the ladder you can reach out to, we gotta make some noise about this.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if any Dyes'rs have thought about adopting a highway under the groups name? I think we should try to do something about this problem. Anyone down?

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm down

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viziondetroit,

Please don't tell me you're not going clean up a part of Detroit because the State won't give you "official" approval. I'm sure if you look hard enough, you'll find a tiny corner of Detroit that could use your generosity. Personally, I find those Adopt a Highway signs to be eyesores themselves. How about having you and your employees spend a day helping out in your local community, and forget about the need to be recognized? What better lesson could you give to your employees and your company's neighbors?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6523
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy wants to adopt a highway through the program and get a sign and do some cleaning. He doesn't need a lecture. It is BS the program won't let him do that where he wants to do it.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny I just said to my girlfriend that we should just assemble a crew a do it on our own. I'm not doing it for the sign etc, I just wanted to follow the program that was set forth on the highways and expressways.

Many neighborhoods need cleaning,but the highways are the first thing people see coming in and out of the city. When we come up with an idea, I will make sure to post it on here and seek help from the board.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 287
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please keep with this Viziondetroit, and keep us posted. I'm sure many on here would be more than happy to help anyway they can.

It never fails to amaze me how it seems that people in our state can fight for a cause, and try to help people... Unless of course they are in Detroit. Of course, so many of those problems are just swept over to this part of the state. So in reality, they aren't doing a whole lot.

Helping the areas that really need it can't even get your name on a sign? Nice...

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, let's cut to the center of this: Vizion, tell me exactly who your girlfriend called. That is, what number or office did she call and (if possible) who did she speak to.

I know some MDOT folks pretty well and I can run down what is going on here. I think we can get a positive outcome.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 778
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^The positive outcome is going to be someone getting run over on the shoulder of the Southfield.

Man. Give MDOT credit for thinking ahead and protecting people from themselves. Plenty of parks and surface streets deserving of direct action. Don't get smashed on the freeway.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig... she wasn't speaking of traffic danger, it was danger of the human kind.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viziondetroit, I applaud your efforts, and did not intend to lecture you. I've sent an email to the local official in charge of this program and would urge all to do the same:

City of Detroit: Twyla Chinn-Lee 313-965-6350 ChinnT@michigan.gov

(Thanks Johnlodge for pointing out the harshness in my post. It was unintentional.)

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 779
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Human kind" = criminals preying upon volunteers? Wouldn't surprise me, but I keyed in on your reference to "slopes."

The "ditch" in Detroit seems pretty steep to me (cannot think of a spot where it isn't); do-gooders in the out-lying areas are walking on flat parkland (in loosely comparative terms), so it's easy to imagine why volunteers would be directed north, or west, or south.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Retroit... I just called and left a message and I am about to email her as well. This should be interesting.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 442
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it only high speed roadways? Wouldn't Michigan Ave. qualify as a state highway?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was your girlfriend told specifically about crime or did she infer that from what she was told?
I understand your wanting to clean up in Detroit, but if I were going participate in this program I would feel much safer doing it north of 12 mile where the land flattens out. North of 12 you can see litter 15'-20' off the highway. Most of the litter in Detroit (I-75) is going to be right on the shoulder because of the slopes which is going to be dangerous to pick up.

I have seen crew of people picking up garbage along 75 in Detroit but I believe they're doing it as part of community service requirements because of the Wayne County vehicle/van that is in the area.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes she was told specifically about crime. I spoke with Twyla today and she was outraged at what the other lady told us. So I am waiting to hear from back on whats available.

Htpscott82
Username: Htpscott82

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back at WSU our student organization was looking into adopting a highway. I noticed on the website that no "depressed" highways were allowed, which is pretty much all the freeways in Detroit. A depressed highway/freeway is one with the slopes on the sides, generally a freeway that sits below the actual land surface. Her mentioning the slopes confirms this.

With that being said, I don't think that there is any reason why Woodward or Michigan Ave in Detroit couldn't be adopted..unless they are afraid of someone actually getting robbed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.