Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » GAR again « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 479
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitnews.com/app s/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200805 06/METRO01/805060364/1408/LOCA L

Good news!

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 544
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back around 1994, that building was going for $70,000. It has increased in price.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4741
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't think, just do it. Approve that and let's move. Screw the Ilitchs for delaying the process for two years.

Wpitonya
Username: Wpitonya

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definately. Didn't they have a year to start work, and if not, they lost the building?

Either way, if someone is interested in it and has had success redeveloping a downtown property before, why would the city council possibly say no? Besides incompetence of course.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first time I saw this building I absolutely fell in love with it. I am so happy that someone will take the initiative to revive such a grand structure! Good luck to them!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6777
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only problem I forsee is parking. ALL of the parking within a block (or more) of this building is either owned by Ilitch Holdings, or Michigan Building owner Tony Pieroni. And with the Michigan Building at near capacity with tenants, he doesn't have parking spaces to spare.

That would leave either leasing space from Ilitch, or valet only parking to a distant lot.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 518
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok is obsessed with parking and is afraid to walk. Not all lots nearby are owned by Ilitch Holdings, or Michigan Building owner Tony Pieroni. There are others.

Gistok

Post Number: 6778
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spare us your usual flippant comments Rjlj... I am just being a realist.

Perhaps you don't remember the problems with developing the Women's Exchange Buildling?

For years no banker would touch it because of a lack of nearby parking (Ilitch wasn't going to give a single spot for the building that he wanted demolished, but the courts said "no").

That's why more than one potential developments for that building (such as the never-to-be China Club) never came to fruition. It wasn't until Chris Chelios got some dedicated parking spaces from Mike Ilitch, that something happened with the Women's Exchange Building.

It's not as though you can have parallel parking spots around the GAR Building...

So, no, it's not that I'm afraid to walk... it's that banks will be asking the question... "where will people park?"

(Message edited by Gistok on May 06, 2008)

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the Carleton family. Hopefully, their successes will continue.

I can’t wait to see their new offices! :-)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4744
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok I wouldn't worry about it. They'll do what they need to do to get there share of the overabundance of parking on that side of downtown. I'm sure you've seen the pavement prairie over there.

Gistok

Post Number: 6779
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, I know they've got that sea of parking... mostly Ilitch parking. If Mike is intent on putting his arena there, then he's not going to ante up any spaces. He's not only buying up all the land between Cass and Park Ave., but also between Grand River and Cass.

We need to get VERIFIABLE to come up with an updated map of the remaining property in the area NOT owned by Ilitch. Based on his last map, there's not much left...

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 439
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He could work a daytime parking agreement out with The Leland. There is plenty of parking over there, Illitch Holdings or not.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4745
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One would think that once the arena announcement comes, which could be before development plans are finalized on the GAR, a lot of land will be freed up, and the value of the lots that are distant from the arena site will drop to where they should be.

I pray that Ilitch just goes with a few huge parking garages adjacent to the arena, so that this enormous quantity of empty parcels can be put to constructive use and a distinctive arena-district of bars and restaurants can be created.

Gistok

Post Number: 6780
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, I wonder why... with Ilitch putting a new roof on top of, and ventilation inside the Moose Lodge... he didn't make a go of it with the nearby GAR?

Chris_rohn, yeah I forgot about the Leland. And I wonder who owns the triangle parking lot between the Leland and Michigan Buildings?

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok is right, banks want to know were tenants will park, so this is an important question.

That said there are lots of possible options, as well as a number of street spots for short term parking.

I would love to see this happen!

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent news! Glad to see one of my favorite abandoned buildings is going to get new life.

There is always parking in the old Michigan Theater structure. Which leads to the question of.. do you think anyone would ever restore that part of the building? Where the theater was, not the office building.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parking is not an issue. That spot is surrounded by parking lots. Some of those lots are expensive, but for sale. The area is also surrounded by unused (and unmetered) street parking. Remember, between all those parking lots is available street parking. The GAR is also surrounded by Park and Locks. Any parking needs could be rented for a decent price from them.

Plus, the GAR isn't THAT big. How much parking could it actually need?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I imagined the GAR tenants riding horses not driving cars.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only reason I can see that Ilitch dropped the ball on the GAR was that the terms of agreement between veteran groups and any new owners stipulated that it couldn't serve alcohol, so that negated any use of the building for entertainment or as a restaurant. Other than that the terms from the veterans were pretty light; a secure showcase displaying Civil War artifacts and some kind of plaque describing the original purpose of the building. Other terms like allowing the veterans access and the ability to meet in the building regularly were dismissed by the veteran groups themselves as unnecessary.

My brother was involved in the early negotiations regarding the GAR and always felt they were both pragmatic and respectful to both the veterans who served in the Civil War and to a future use of the building. With that small stage area in the building and the buildings unique design, it sounds like a natural fit for the media group. Glad to hear some news that shows promise.

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Model D did a little video on the Carleton's production company a while back...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r-W 2bYgdJ6A

Definitely wish them luck with the GAR.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2499
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I imagined the GAR tenants riding horses not driving cars."

"Their company and its 14 employees would relocate to the GAR Building if the proposal is finalized."

"...plans to invest about $2 million renovating it into space for a restaurant, offices, gift shop and exhibit space for Civil War memorabilia."

How much dedicated parking would something like that honestly require? 14 employees? Can't require that much. And a 'museum'--most museums in orban centers don't have dedicated parking.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4765
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great points. Definitely don't worry about the parking getting in the way of this. Only for someone like Ilitch could parking or a perception of a lack thereof stimy a deal...oh wait, maybe that's what happened with their GAR deal?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.