Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Bike racks on DDOT buses « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One common reason DDOT hasn't pursued bus bike racks is they haven't heard of the need from their customers. If having bike racks on DDOT buses is something you would use, information on how to let them know is at
http://www.m-bike.org/blog/200 8/05/01/getting-bike-racks-on- ddot-buses

Talking points include:
* Bike racks increase ridership
* DDOT can apply for MDOT grants to cover much of the initial cost.
* Combining bike and bus trips is good for the City's goals of helping the environment and improving public health and fitness.
* Adding bike racks means more transit options and improved customer service.
* DDOT bus racks would help Detroiters get to biking destinations like Belle Isle and the Riverfront.

Many thanks to the folks from TRU for helping fine tune these tips and talking points!

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another talking point - tell DDOT to ask anyone at SMART how often the bike racks are used! I wonder how long it will be before SMART replaces the two-bike units they have with four-bike units (a la Minneapolis) on their busier routes.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12620
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've only started riding the system, although today was TOO nice to get IN a vehicle on my way to Royal Oak, and am happy to see SMART's dedication to bicyclists.

I've been paying attention when they are used, and have noticed 'em full only once. How often do you catch a 450 or 460 Woodward with a full rack, either of you?

More I talk to people who have to use both systems, the more I realize how fucking stupid it is to have the redundancy...with no apparent increase in service quality or frequency. (Then NO accountability when each service can point their finger at the other.)

I talk to people of both major races who seem to think certain bus drivers pass them at certain hours at some stops. Curious. Might just be perception, but one black fellow at Woodward and Seven Mile all but had to jump in front of the SMART driver to get picked up...and it wasn't an express.

I haven't had the pleasure of riding a D-DOT yet...but will notify them that I will if they add these racks.

Cheers!

Gannon

Post Number: 12621
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Detroit can buy the used duals from SMART, and use the money more...smartly.

Then SMART can upgrade to the trips and quads as necessary.

Hand-me-downs shouldn't be discouraged.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed.

I use the 560 and the 200, and notice full bike racks almost every trip on the 560, not as often on the 200.

The apparent redundancy you mention is not as bad as it seems. On the very few routes where SMART and DDOT both have buses, SMART operates semi-express in Detroit most of the time, and DDOT makes all local stops. Think about the Gratiot SMART route, from 23 mile to Times Square, and how much longer it would take (it's already an hour and a half) if the bus had to make every local stop.

As it is, though, most SMART routes operate on streets where DDOT does not do business, and vice-versa.

I'm aware of two common reasons for passing up someone waiting for the bus (aside from the SMART "Detroit rules" which not everyone understands): first, buses fill up and can take no more people; second, there are certain specific people the drivers won't stop for. I've seen both, many times.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Good point Gannon, But when You buy something with Govt. money, it has to be new. I just went thru this very same new vs. old thing in My last meeting, and that was the final word from procurement on that.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 509
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I've been paying attention when they are used, and have noticed 'em full only once. How often do you catch a 450 or 460 Woodward with a full rack, either of you?

I haven't seen it that often either, however I usually ride the draft in the back rather than the rack in the front. :-)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2481
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez. After living here in Charlotte now for a year-and-a-half, there are just some things that I have taken for granted and began assuming were common place. It's somewhat embarrassing to hear about simple things like this not being done in Detroit.

Gannon

Post Number: 12623
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fishtoes,

How do you handle breathing all that diesel exhaust? One whiff and I'm toast.

I FINALLY used a bike rack today. Decided at the last minute that I'd be too wasted for my out-of-town company in for the Brownfields Conference if I rode all the way back downtown from Royal Oak and Lathrup Village...I did this 33-mile round trip twice in two weeks.

Chose to drop into the Royal Oak transit center, and sure enough, one slot was already filled. The bus was BUSY, crazy busy...and it was the 6:06 450 out of Royal Oak.

Lucky for me, I bumped into one of the most amazing women I've ever met...beautiful Maria who I've only known at Bert's Marketplace Open Mic...and we spent the entire trip talking.

Lucky for me.

Public Transportation is absolutely wonderful, those pigging out in their solo rides while bitching about gas prices are simply fucking insane. The bus is the way to travel...no better way to experience the rest of mere humankind.

Cheers

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sign this petition to support the addition of bike racks on DDOT buses;

Link: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/411DDOT/

(I don't know why I made a separate topic for this. You guys can delete that other one)

(Message edited by Sean_Of_Detroit on May 06, 2008)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know why that link wasn't clickable.

Link: http://www.ipetitions.com/peti tion/411DDOT/

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I just gotta say parts of this thread are truly inspiring.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is rare that I do not see at least one bike on a bike rack on a SMART bus. They are heavily used. DDOT is just poorly run and doesn't want to do anything to help anyone.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob, I won't argue about whether DDOT is well or poorly run, but I will say they have bigger problems like this. They have cut multiple routes over the past several years and will probably cut two or three more this June; many of their buses are old and in poor repair; their schedules are a pitiful shadow of what they were not many years ago.

I like the bike rack idea and I'll "sign" the petition, but DDOT has significant challenges and may not be in a position to take on a project like this. We'll see what happens.

By the way if you're curious: disappearing in June, almost certainly, will be the Grand Belt and Holbrook bus routes. Possibly one other as well but I won't jinx that bus by naming it.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 510
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Signed the petition. Thank's Sean_of_Detroit and thanks to TRU for providing much of the info.

quote:

How do you handle breathing all that diesel exhaust? One whiff and I'm toast.

Actually, I rarely draft the buses. It's sketchy.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are absolutely correct. How long before they have another lawsuit related to wheelchair lifts not working? Much like the rest of the city, they are being hurt the cities budget problem. Throw in the meager state funding and out idiot president trying to cut funding for everything that is not the War in Iraq and you have more cuts, cuts, cuts.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.