Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Solidarity House on East Jefferson « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Renf
Username: Renf

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the UAW construct this building for their offices or was there a previous occupant? When was the structure built? Does any one know the name of the architect? What was on this property before Solidarity House?

Thank you very much.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6769
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the building was remodelled with a new skin on the outside a few years back. It used to look rather similar to the Chase Tower (formerly NBD HQ) on Campus Martius... fondly known as the "cheese grater".

Don't know about either original or remodeling architects, but I do believe that the building was custom built for the UAW.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3629
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building was built for the UAW and opened in 1951. I don't know who the architect was. It was built on the site of Edsel Ford's former mansion where he lived before moving to Grosse Pointe.

Mikem

Post Number: 3634
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stopped by today. The architect was Hugh Millar. Dedicated June 1951.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5382
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stephens mansion aka Edsel Ford estate was previously on the site. Actually, I think the mansion coexisted with the UAW for a number of years before being take down. I think George Mason was the architect, but Leonard Willeke helped renovate it.

Mikem

Post Number: 3635
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I think it was built on a lot on the east side of Ford's home, before it was torn down.

The dedication plaque inside the front door says Architect - Hugh Millar.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6478
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YOUR UAW SHOPPING GUIDE OF UAW-BUILT PRODUCTS.
(Partial list)

Bradford White hot water heaters.
Miller Beer.
Land O'Lakes Dairy.
Kraft Foods.
Folger's Coffee.
Perry's Ice Cream.
Country Fresh Frosty mix for Wendy's.
Bacardi Rum.
Lenox Heating Systems.
Sylvania Head Lights.
Johnson Controls Batteries.
Fram Filters.
Master Locks.
Kohler Plumbing fixtures.
Toro and John Deere engines.
Tulsa Auto Glass.
Taylor Doors.
Hillerich and Bradsby hockey sticks, eh.
Russell Athletic wear.

And cars, trucks, buses; Generous Motors, Chrysler, Ford, Mazda Tribute, Toyota Carolla, Isuzo I-series, Mitsubishi.

Feel free to add others.

jjaba, Solidarity Forever, for the Union makes us strong.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 279
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep jjaba, Miller Beer says Union made, and i use Fram Filters, i guess im a good union man. the UAW solidarity house reminds me of some sort of compound deal.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 310
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a site with a picture of the Solidarity House before the renovation. It's four rows down, and three to the right.

Link: http://reuther100.wayne.edu/vi ewgallery.php?cid=5

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 282
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what an ugly building, looks like a bunch of hookers might be doing there tricks there

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 708
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I beg to differ; it's in one of the better neighborhoods, and that stretch of Jefferson has improved a lot over the last few years.

I remember being there on business years ago, before it was remodelled... holy cow! It was like walking into a time warp. I felt like I was on the set of "Austin Powers" with all of the shag carpeting and chain-hung pendant mood lights. Far out, man! And that was in the 90's.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5387
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonder why they built it there in the first place. Maybe at the time, downtown was just too expensive? I though I read that the UAW looked at undeveloped property in New Center when planning an HQ.

Mikem

Post Number: 3637
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were located in the New Center before they moved to E Jefferson.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody have a pic of Edsel's house on Jefferson?

Stromberg2

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the original architect. Oskar Stonorov served as a design consultant. He was a personal friend of Walter Reuther, and a respected modern architect from Philadelphia.

Stonorov was a collaborator with Louis Kahn, and worked primarily with public housing.

He died in the plane crash that killed Reuther.

Strathcona
Username: Strathcona

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Edsel Ford House had a boathouse which is still intact behind the UAW.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forget pix of the Solidarity House, I wanna see the Ford mansion that was leveled! :-(

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.