Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Military Entry Processing Station (MEPS) Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jleurck
Username: Jleurck

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I entered the Air Force in 1983, the Military Entry Processing Station (or "MEPS") was in downtown Detroit (not Taylor, were the current one is), but I can't quite remember where. I didn't grow up in Detroit, so my sense of geography may be a little skewed, but I think it was by the old Strohs Brewery. Does anyone remember for sure where the Detroit MEPS was located back in the early 80's?

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 151
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gratiot & Beaubien.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8587
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clinton between Beaubien and Gratiot.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I went in, (1974), it was called AFEES, Armed Forces Examination and Entrance Station.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 662
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Father was processed at Fort Wayne.

Jleurck
Username: Jleurck

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like it has moved around a bit over the years. I don't know why the Strohs Brewery was etched in my memory the way it was. Perhaps we passed it on the way in at zero-dark-thirty from the contract hotel we stayed at the night before. Was the brewery near there?

I ended up having to go down there twice before I went to basic because of a knee problem, so I got to walk around downtown for a half a day before my bus trip back to Grand Rapids (the MEPS was a bit of a jog from the Greyhound station). I had never been in Detroit except to go to Tigers games a few times, so this was pretty cool to me. I certainly don't remember there being as nearly as many parking lots as I see in the Google Maps aerial shots I've checked out.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was at Gratiot and Beaubien when i went in in '85...

i remember the day i shipped out we had to go across the street to the DPD gymnasium because of a bomb threat that was called in. i missed out on my chest xray...

they spent the next 8 years trying to get one. never did get it...

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the old stroh's brewery would've been about 3 blocks up gratiot. so it was indeed quite close.

i've heard some stories about an army recruiting/processing office in a building on w.fort, down the street from wccc. the building looked like an old warehouse and was torn down about 5 years ago. anybody know anything about that office?

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa, in the 50's and 60's the draft board was on W. Fort.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that there is also a current MEPS in Troy on Kirts and it has been there since at least 1996 when I enlisted into the Corps.

I know at that time, the local HQ for the Marine Corps recruiting office was downtown (on Larned above Opus One) but has since moved (I think they are also currently located in the Troy MEPS).

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the clinton st address was right in 87, 426 clinton what i remember. was there twice, 1st for the asvab then for my physical. found out early what it ment to 'hurry up and wait'

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.