Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Bob-lo Boat Columbia « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone seen any new information on the status of the Columbia?? I know she is supposed to be towed to New York sometime this spring. I hope this is not another pie-in-the-sky plan that goes belly up. The very idea of her ending in a funeral pyre on some St. Claire river island, like the Put-In-Bay, sends shivers down my spine.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what you mean. I wonder sometimes how many steam locomotives ended up in pieces due to well meaning plans to make them operational again.....

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 476
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't heard any new updates. Assuming she does not move from her berth at Nicholson's Ecorse Terminal, you can still see her on the 1PM Diamond Jack's River Tour leaving from Wyandotte's Bishop Park dock beginning June 12th.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2307
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the Put In Bay did not end her days on an island in the Saint Clair River, but was intentionally torched by the late Captain Becker in the middle of Lake Saint Clair in October of 1953. I was there. Quite a sight from shore.
Now most vessels on ending their useful careers on the Lakes are scrapped rather than burned, sometimes locally, but often towed overseas where they get a better price for the steel. And even some of those tows across the Atlantic don't make it. The passenger ship, North American, is an example, although she met her fate while being towed down the east coast to Florida.
The Columbia? Only time will tell. If her days are numbered, I hope she does not linger for years in a remote old dock or scrap yard as was the fate of the South American.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6454
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the fate of The Winsome?

jjaba, still waiting for his ride.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.