Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Harmonie Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 308
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there anything left there? Hunter House -- gone; Intermezzos -- gone; Centre Street Pub -- gone. Had so much potential.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GR N'Namdi has a wonderful gallery in the Intermezzo space. It is his temporary space until his gallery complex is complete on Forest near Woodward. Interestingly, George had his first gallery there in Harmonie Park in 1981.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coach's Corner sports bar. It's a place that lacks character, but it still counts I guess.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 901
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mezzanine, Jazzy Java Cafe, Shoe store, Fur coat store, Rags.... Lots of great places down that adjacent street.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 246
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The shoe store is called G.O.A.T

www.DetroitArmy.com

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lola's is there. Never been, but I hear it's nice.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is there anything left there? Hunter House -- gone; Intermezzos -- gone; Centre Street Pub -- gone. Had so much potential.

The Hunter House will be replaced by a new restaurant that is set to open later this month, the Intermezzo space is currently occupied by the GR N'Namdi gallery, and the Center Street Pub has been replaced by the Grand Central Lounge.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also "The Rhino"

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 616
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lola's is a hot restaurant/bar next to the RINO.

HARMONY CAFE is on GRAND RIVER.
MILNER ARMS HAS A COOL LIL CAFE.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4736
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So why is there some master plan coming down from the City to re-make Harmonie Park? Seems like one of the more active and well put-together corners of Detroit if you ask me. Targeting the Madison-Lenox site for a residential development in probably more important that trying to mess around with an already-nice part of downtown.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 516
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^

Yes, what you are saying sounds logical but you are dealing with illogical leadership.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 617
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmoney Park has potential to be 3 times more successful. Greektown and harmoney park should have a seamless flow, allowing greektown goers to easily glide into harmony park and have the same senergy as greektown.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Gratiot really divides it from Greektown... and the cross walk situation (and the lack of a cross walk on the one corner) doesn't help that flow either.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4738
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's possible, D_remix. Those two corners of downtown are very close to each other...a five minute walk I make often, but it does seem a bit segmented because of all the surface lots and Gratiot Ave. Indeed, the crosswalk situation is a little weird at Randolph-Gratiot.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 417
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parking is tough in Harmonie Park. I don't mind walking but it's not a spot where you can find street parking to check out the restaurants. A couple of years ago I paid to park in the surface lot across Gratiot and walked over to Intermezzo. The place was empty but they were completely booked for one sitting before an Opera House event. Very annoying.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2480
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Parking is tough in Harmonie Park. I don't mind walking but it's not a spot where you can find street parking to check out the restaurants."

What? It has parking all along the side of most all the blocks through there and feeding that triangle:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Harmonie+Pa rk+Music%E2%80%8E+detroit+mi&i e=UTF8&ll=42.33624,-83.046478& spn=0.0014,0.0025&t=h&z=19

I'm not promising that they won't be filled when one goes down there, but what do you want?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any statistics showing how far people are willing to walk from a residence or parking space? Greektown's free, is that to far? What about the Opera House and Compuware garages? How much are they? Can you get parking validation in Harmony Park. Could a People Mover stop at Macomb and Brush help?

It definitely doesn't help that not many people live in that area. I agree that developing the Madison-Lenox site would have a positive effect on that area.

I also agree that Gratiot separates it from Greektown. The biggest (and most easily fixed) problem is the lack of a crosswalk across Gratiot at the Broadway/Randolph/Gratiot/Maco mb intersection. It's really kind of dangerous.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 903
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That intersection is dangerous in a CAR, let alone trying to traverse it by foot! I say, traffic circle! It's actually a perfect solution for that crappy intersection and it would make it pedestrian friendly, too. Who works for MDOT... I have a suggestion for them... :-)

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on, Charlottepaul -- this city has so much friggin' parking, it's disgusting. Just because there isn't free street parking directly in front of the restaurant you want to go to when you want to go there doesn't mean that Detroit lacks parking. Quite the opposite, in fact. If you want to go to Harmonie Park on an Opera or baseball night, park for free in the Greektown structure and ride the People Mover to Broadway station. Done. Or cough up the dough to park in the ginormous Opera house structure and walk down the block. Or park for free in Brush Park and walk 10-15 minutes. I could go on and on...

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 817
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand Waymooreland, but most people want to park right out front.

I've said this before - my experience is that you give people a free garage or make them pay to be on the street, they take the street parking every time and then complain that there is no parking.

We live in a suburban mindset in this region. Might be why most of my friends have left for Chicago, San Francisco, New York and Boston.

Detroit_pride
Username: Detroit_pride

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats the deal with the lot on gratiot across from the Hilton...I believe it used to be Hot Sams'? Recently torn down with construction fencing.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 520
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is too much parking in this city and too many parking lots. Get off your fat lazy Michigan azz and walk for once.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 435
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really got crucified for complaining about parking and rightly so. Being from out of town, my problem was that due to the high turnover and constant changes I want to check out the restaurants in Harmonie Park before before paying to park. The one time I did pay first, I was refused entry into an empty Intermezzo. Good thing I'm on the forum now or I would probably have paid this weekend before heading to Hunter House. Greektown garage it is!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.