Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Recorded Bird Noises in Harmony Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed last year and now again this year some tropical bird noises being piped in around the Harmony Park area. Anyone know what building they're coming from and for what reason?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2280
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like mockingbirds to me.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats the peregrine falcons coded whistle. Translation:
There's a hell of a lot of tasty pigeons over here.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 512
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=egd GIX9_vIs&feature=related

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

STOP STOP STOP that brings back horrible images of James Taylor rock n' roll, an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPD HQ has those sounds going off. I think they keep other birds away. Mike's Fresh Grocery on 7 and Livernois has the same thing playing all day.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 666
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vizion,

Perhaps DPD is getting tougher at interrogation. They got suspects singin like Canaries!

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 536
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah..what the hell are those noises? I've heard them too by the downtown cop shop, and in Royal Oak on Washington. I think they are pre-recorded sounds to scare away pigeons, but I don't know. That's the only thing I can think of.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are very annoying, but I hate pigeons and seagulls.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can anyone hate pigeons and gulls? Pigeons and gulls are smart and figure out that the recording of a bird of prey is not a threat.

Andrew Blechman has written a wonderful book, "Pigeons: The Fascinating Saga of the World’s Most Revered and Reviled Bird".

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 336
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can anyone hate pigeons and gulls?

You say gulls as opposed to seagulls. Since we're not by the sea, should ours be rivergulls? And if the gulls are at the bay, bagels? This thread is for the birds.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No such thing as seagulls. Gulls are gulls. Most common around the Detroit area are ring-billed gulls and herring gulls.

Then there are the birds called Canada geese, not Canadian geese, unless they are actually from Canada, I suppose.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.