Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Newsflash: Transit in Detroit Sucks. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yet Detroit, another city losing people, has one of America's worst commutes. Transit design in Motown is, not unexpectedly, tailored to the car--yet traffic patterns aren't smooth, since only 11% of commuters walk, carpool or take public transit. The average Detroit commuter is delayed 54 hours a year, more than residents in California's sprawling "Inland Empire" cities of San Bernardino and Riverside, who log 49 hours of delays; and more than Chicago or Boston with 46 hours each."

http://promo.realestate.yahoo. com/best-and-worst-cities-for- commuters.html

Did you know that we have terrible transit in the metro area? WHOOOOAAAAADUUUUUDDDEEEEE!

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What you drive drives America!

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ Um, I believe you meant to say, "Mar-Kuh."

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 764
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I the only one who has noticed that traffic has considerably lightened over the past few years? Didn't use to be this way in the Motor City.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I just saw this. These top ten lists are kind of getting ridiculous, aren't they? They have a new one at least once a week. I think I'm done giving them the time of day. Posting them here is only adding fuel. This seems like this is being done by some sites that just realized they could get a ton of traffic if they compiled top ten lists to agitate readers from a bunch of different big cities. I agree with one poster on here a little while ago when they said; "they need to get a life".

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6457
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still say traffic isn't bad. Worse than L.A.? Somebody needs to actually travel to the places they are making up lists about, instead of spewing crap from behind their computer.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I don't like in the traffic matrix, but traffic in SE Michigan is not bad. Unless you live out on 99 mile road in the heart of urban sprawl, it's not an issue.

I say EFF the traffic haters

Rax

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah! Screw those millions of working folks! Dumb asses driving to their stupid fancy jobs everyday. They deserve it!

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agree. public transit should be embiggened.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Am I the only one who has noticed that traffic has considerably lightened over the past few years?"

I noticed. My short drive that is all within the 313 has gotten easier throughout the years. Probably because no one is going to work -- they don't have jobs.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6458
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rax, sarcasm only works if it makes sense.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Craig's observation. The last two years in particular I've noticed I have spent much less time in stop-and-go 696 traffic. Now it's just when there is an accident...or someone changing a flat.

Detroit worse than LA? I don't even understand how that is possible.

Rax

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Rax, sarcasm only works if it makes sense.

Thanks for the heads up, bro.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2276
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think what's going on here is that, in other cities, people have more choices.

In Detroit, if you don't want to sit in traffic, you live near where you work. But in San Francisco, one can take light rail, bus, electric bus, cable car, regional rail. While you sit in these modes of transportation, you may read a newspaper, work on a laptop, listen to your iPod, talk with your friends, etc. Your only obligations are to make sure you don't miss your stop or connection. Even if you're at a stop light in an electric bus, that psychological pressure of gas-brake-stop isn't a factor. You're not "stuck in traffic."

In other words, the traffic on their roads may be heavier, the logjams may be lengthier, but people also can avoid them -- and they DO avoid them, by using other modes of transit.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 789
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was talking to someone who takes the cablecar to work in SF - they say it runs every 10-15 minutes, and so they never have a worry if they miss it as they'll only be about 15 minutes delayed.

I can only dream of having such a luxury in choices of transit, vs. here where it's car or late to work. Even if it took a bit longer than driving, I would love that. I don't care even if it's a bus.

Rax

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think what's going on here is that, in other cities, people have more choices.

Bingo!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5984
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Already being discussed. Look just a bit down the page:

Detroit is the 2nd worst city for commuters

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2474
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think what's going on here is that, in other cities, people have more choices."

In Detroit--if you don't like eight mile, take 7 or 9! At least Detroiters have choses in that regard when driving. Yea square mile road grid system! I'm afraid for Charlotte in the next few decades, where the road grid is set up as though it were spun by a drunk spider...

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In Detroit--if you don't like eight mile, take 7 or 9! At least Detroiters have choses in that regard when driving. Yea square mile road grid system! I'm afraid for Charlotte in the next few decades, where the road grid is set up as though it were spun by a drunk spider..."

Yeah, Detroit has an excellent street grid and many people love it.

They just hate the fact that everything's sprawlish without other transportation options.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.