Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Dog Recreation « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of a park, or place in the Detroit Metro area where dogs are allowed? I'd like to take my dogs somewhere that is safe for them to run free. I worry a lot about my little dogs playing with car traffic nearby. I thought it would be fun for us to spend a day at a place where they could be safely unleashed for a while. Is there such a place in the area?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2275
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I fight my dogs in Cass Park on Sundays. They always sleep good after that. :-)

Weather_dad
Username: Weather_dad

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a dog park in Clinton Township.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4016
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitdogdaycare.c om/dogpark.php

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitdogparks.com /

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 839
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

paging blondy

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nothing against canine to five they provide a needed service to the citizens and their critters, but what they are calling a park is essentially a fenced in back yard! i take my dog to a baseball diamond that is fenced in and let her go! this is much larger and it's free.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 232
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Canine to five provides a service, no you dont go there to walk your dog at their park but you can drop little love off for the entire day while your at work. They get to play with other dogs as well as ppl. Fenced safe yard. No its not a barkpark they can go to for a few minutes a day while you have time to spare, but an entire day for them to interact with other dogs. Something I believe is very important for a dog. Check em out. Probably sounds like I work for them, I dont, I know the owners a little bit, I love dogs and love what their doing. Ive stopped in just to hang out with some dogs in the past.LOL

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have a dog, so I've never really seen, or payed much attention to their dog park. How big is it? I am surprised they are not located a little closer to a popular dog walking route/park. They're right on Cass, correct? I used to pass by their everyday on the way to work, but never even noticed a dog park.

Cass Park might be a good choice, as well as some areas of State Parks, and maybe the Riverwalk (when it's more complete). Does Belle Isle allow/have any good spots for dogs?

I do want a dog when my fiancee and I eventually get a house. We both really like those little hot dogs. (sorry, I call them hot dogs, whats the real name? Is it dodsons or something?)

Until I move to a place that allows them, I'm stuck with my two very interesting cats. Some of you guys may have seen me around. My black cat "Black Jack" plays fetch (typically plastic bracelets), and even goes on walks once in awhile (leashed of course). He LOVES car rides too. I'll be moving back downtown soon and plan on either taking him up to Cass Park, or the Riverwalk/Belle Isle often. I also got him one of those little pet lasers and he LOVES it. He's a pretty interesting feline.

On a side note, I noticed that the "pet laser" says fish love it too. I tried it on my gold fish Isaac one time, and he actually sort of chased the thing. Very bizarre.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 814
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suggest the Pointe at belle Isle I take my lab mix out towards the light house, walk across the bridge and as long as no one is in eye sight then let her go, she can swim, run, and it is fenced at the end of the trail because of the driving range. She has a blast then I get her back on the leash before I go back across the bridge.

(Message edited by urbanoutdoors on May 01, 2008)

Django

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to let my dog Farnsworth run Belle Isle. He knew the limits (as much as a dog can), he went EVERYWHERE with me. He was a street dog (found him on Farnsworth) I had the not so bright sense of never putting a leash on him. He was a street dog, He jumped in my truck when we first met and he stuck with me. I fed him, got him fixed, he was his own dog and was the best dog ever. He would wait for me at every corner so we would cross together, he would go back to his old ways sometimes and take off on me. He once found his way home from Lonyo and Mich. Ave back to Mt elliot and Warren area. Was waiting on the front porch. I do regret somewhat the way I never leashed him, he was a street dog though. He had the best life a dog could ever want. He had a very happy life, but in the end, me not leashing him got him killed after a 5 year stint as my partner. Not sure exactly why Im telling you all this other than to say theres something to be said for letting your dog run free once in a while. Its a chance you take to give them something not many dogs have. All in all, I really dont regret not leashing Farns, he had an amazing life, saw many States and Many more dogs and ppl.I have no doubt he had a very satisfying life.
Anyway, Farns used to run Belle Isle when I did some rock sculptures over on the far end. He loved it. Got along with everyone because he was free. Its a chance you take when you unleash, but lifes full of risk. The more their off that chain the better they get, I can promise you that. They respect you more fo respecting them. I hope that at least made a little sense.

(Message edited by django on May 01, 2008)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dog Parks

LYON OAKS DOG PARK
Features a 13-acre fenced enclosure with small dog area; with benches, shelter and picnic tables, and water fountain

ORION OAKS DOG PARK
Offers 14-acre fenced enclosure with small dog area, including two trails, water, field area, new parking lot and restrooms; and access to Lake Sixteen for swimming (sorry, dogs only!). In 2006, the Orion Oaks Dog Park was named second runner-up for Best Dog Park in the Michigan Tails Pet Magazine's Readers' Choice Awards!

Both Dog Parks offer:
Commemorate your canine friend with a brick paver at one of the Dog Parks!

* Pet waste bags (provided by Pet Supplies Plus)
* Pumped drinking water
* Shade areas
* Picnic tables and benches
* Portable toilets

http://www.oakgov.com/parksrec /activities/dogpark.html

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is Liz Blondy, the owner of Canine To Five.

If you have not checked out our site, please do so - www.caninetofivedetroit.com

We offer dog daycare Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. We also offer grooming 6 days a week and cage free attended overnight boarding 365 days a year.

We also have a dog park every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 12 p..m. We have 4500 square feet of heated indoor space, and 8000 square feet of fenced in outdoor space.

We are much smaller than a traditional dog park, but the nice thing is that every dog that comes here is VACCINATED and SOCIALIZED, two things that you might not find at other dog parks or on Belle Isle, and other places.

I HIGHLY recommend www.detroitdogparks.com. If you have not been to the Orion Oaks Dog Park, check it out for sure! It is quite the drive, but it it amazing.

We are also proud to sponsor the Riverfront Canine Club this summer. We will hold group walks on the Riverwalk all summer, on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings, starting at Rivard Plaza. For more Canine Club info visit http://caninetofivedetroit.com /riverfront.php

Have a GREAT summer with your dogs everyone!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4020
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most cities have leash laws. Look into that before letting your pet loose someplace that is not a designated dog park.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Arbor has a big dog park on Platt south of Ellsworth (it is going to be closing for a few weeks for repairs) and a smaller one in Olson Park on Dhu Varren Rd. off Pontiac Trail. I'm not a dog owner, but I support these parks all the way--they help everybody out.

Margarite
Username: Margarite

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We use the Mt. Clemens Dog Park on Lafayette off Groesbeck behind the ice arena. It's about an acre, completely fenced, and has drinking fountains, picnic tables, and benches. The beauty of this park is that it is lighted at night which is perfect for us night owls.

Django

Post Number: 240
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has a dog leash law?

Joymac
Username: Joymac

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, believe it or not detroit does have a dog leash law. You would never know it though. We had a neighbor that would run there huge dogs while driving in the car very slowly as they ran down the sidewalk and in peoples yards. They killed my neighbors cat right in the back yard.

Try Balduck park. Great place to run them. Near morross and chandler park drive. The side with the hill has a fenced run behind it and the other side of chandler is wide open and even has a fenced in forest.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 433
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Orion Oaks is really good

$7.00 one time fee
$30.00 Year Pass to all Oakland County Parks!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.