Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » May Day @ Urban Bean Co. 5/1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a repost from a friend.

May Day: Call to Arms
May 1st @ 7:00pm
Urban Bean Co.
200 Grand River (corner of Griswold & Grand River)

Join us @ the Urban Bean Co. for the 1st meeting to discuss organizations and pooling resources to support projects, businesses and successful positive change in the city. Bring your organization, small business or ideas to the front lines. Stand alongside those who are making a difference in Detroit.

http://urbanbeanco.com/
http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3229/2425011619_4bf6aebfc8.jp g

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6443
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://urbanbeanco.com/

Why does it say "Open 24 Hours" and then say open 7 a.m. - 10 p.m.?

Mdoyle

Post Number: 382
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

couldnt tell you. Not really the issue here.

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought "Bean" was a racial stereotype name, how insulting to the Hispanics! (Sorry, couldn't help but take a poke at the politically correct/offended police.)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this joint ain't open at 7 am either

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 388
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is crazy. I've tried to go there 3 times, once before 8am, again after 8am, then again close to 10am. When is this place open?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not good business. How are to believe it's going to be open the day of the event lol.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Cool Looking Place. Usually open in the afternoons.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 718
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am at UBC right now. They tend to be open in the afternoon and evening late in to the night.

Mbr

Post Number: 389
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of program is that? I want coffee in the morning, not at night.

Can you ask the dude why he doesn't open when he says he's going to.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 811
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I have gathered he is really trying hard to make it work but he can't afford to hire much staff, and the goal is to have it be 24/7 but he has not been able to attain that quite yet. I try to stop by on my walk to work and if they are open I stop and grab somethin. If not I just keep movin. But we need as many urban pioneers as we can have so I commend him for his efforts.

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on April 30, 2008)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am excited for this meeting tonight! I got a flyer about this in my email today, and I look forward some strong creative minds tomorrow night!

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 6:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It can be tough during the start-up faze guys, it really can. Give him a chance, I'm sure he's giving it his all.

As to the meeting tomorrow;

I want to be there so bad. I have nothing to do tomorrow night, but was planning on staying the night up in Saginaw (as I have to be there in the morning for something important). I cold drive down for it, but gas is really going to kill me (and my lady isn't going to be thrilled about that, lol). I don't know if I'd have much to add myself at this time (and on such short notice), but am trying to open my own stuff in the city too. Is this something I should really be at? Would I learn a lot about some of the existing projects and such? I'm sure I could line my stuff up with them if I knew all the "plans of action" out there.

What do you guys think?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2001
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the place is fine, stop being a weenie, stop complaining and drink up the f'n coffee.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just can't agree. I've tried to go and found it closed too. If he can't open in the morning and has to be open 1 to midnight, fine, announce those hours and go for it. But a totally random attitude toward posted hours, without any explanation, disrespects customers and their time.

Mbr

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meanwhile at Starbucks on Congress the line is almost out the door.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 509
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^
That is because people are sheep and go to where they are told to go.

Support the little guy and stop bitching.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed,

I feel bad for the brainwashed lemmings at Starbucks. Those same people think Bud Light is the greatest beer ever.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 510
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Budweiser is the fast food of beers.

Bigd
Username: Bigd

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta agree with the complaints about the hours of this place. I constantly think about grabbing a coffee in the morning, but it's rarely open. But it's normally open in the evenings when I wouldn't think about getting anything. Does he want to make money, or not? If not, and it's just a place to chill for his friends, then fine. Hard to complain about people going to Starbucks in the morning when Urban Bean isn't even open.

Mbr

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Rjlj, the point is I want to support the little guy, trying three separate times in the morning hours during advertised business hours to buy some coffee, all three times with it closed.

I want coffee in the morning. Starbucks sells coffee in the morning along with 99% of coffee shops I know of. I referenced the line at Starbucks just to show that there is great demand in the morning hours for coffee, not that I support going to SBucks.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some simple advice: Post reliable hours and make morning a priority. And perhaps distribute some leaflets outside of Starbucks......

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to complain about Urban Bean Co.'s operating hours, try the original thread about the place - already plenty of complaints there. I'll stop by soon to try it. Looks nice - I like the space.

Nothing wrong with the coffee at Strabucks - where could you buy good coffee in the US before Starbucks?

Mdoyle

Post Number: 383
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, this thread has nothing to do with urban bean as a company other than its where the event is being hosted. This forum has the attention span of a 5 year old sometimes.

So May Day is tonight @ 7. Its people speaking and sharing their ideas about the city. Trying to buck apathy and become a catalyst for progress and advocation of Detroit. Come and support, bring your own ideas. How can we change not only minds but the city itself. Many speak about the tight knit small community feel of big Detroit. This can be used to our advantage. Even small things make big news in a place and time where we are starved for positive and uplifting news.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ True enough, but it's hard for people to support a business to attend a meeting when they can't even support it during the hours THEY posted as normal operating hours. It's one of those deals where you wonder if they are serious about business.

In response to the mindless sheep going to Starbucks... let the sheep go to a place that is open during the posted business hours. Shame on them for wanting coffee when they visit the business lol. I've tried UBC 2x and it wasn't open so I went to the Shepherds land :-D

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 249
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stopped in at UBC last Sunday. Nice to see they were open. Good cup of Joe for sure.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should set up a webcam to keep dibs on when it's open :-D

I won't be able to make the event tonight, can someone attending give us the run down?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not going to be at this one, but I really could use any better understanding of ideas that I should be supporting (instead of just trying to contribute to my own). I have to much work I have to do, and I can't just un-commit myself (to a deadline), no matter how bad I want to go to something like this. I do keep up on most of the projects. It is obvious that things need to be done to come up with more common visions. The People Mover is a perfect example. It could become a big help in making this a more attractive city. Imagine the marketing potential of "just living a stop away from all your city needs". Especially in the winter. A basic giftcard for downtown businesses is another big one (someone suggest that for me if you think it's good. We could easily put this into place before this holiday season. I'd have tons of help I could give in that department, lol).

I know many will probably argue "why not walk" on the People Mover idea. That sadly isn't the mentality of many around here though. I wish it was, because I agree!

If anyone can take basic notes and E-mail me (Sean_Of_Detroit AT Yahoo.com), I would appreciate it times a million!

I don't expect anyone to do that though. I'll be starting to go to the Open City events this summer, and hopefully floor you all with some things I've come up with. I'll catch up and learn it all when the times right I guess. I just have something I'm working on, and can't get away from it right now.

Have fun and good luck to all who are attending. I'll hopefully run into some more of you later this Summer. God I hate writing excuses. How long has this one been planned?

If anyone has notes though...

(Message edited by Sean_Of_Detroit on May 01, 2008)

Detroitwhat
Username: Detroitwhat

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so furious. I just moved to TC and I am not a fan of it. I get to miss this great opportunity. Mayday is great idea and I hope that a lot of good ideas come together. I support UBC to the fullest. Josh is a good guy and hes trying to make a difference. He just doesn't have the man power to keep it open 24/7, but just you wait.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went there today with a friend, and love the location and the cozy feel of the building. I think UBC will be in a great spot in the next few years as Capitol park gets going.

The coffee's good too.

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's open 24hrs. Just not in a row.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the meeting last night...

it was great to meet some of the other young, creative minds here in Detroit. We all have different ideas and goals, but we all want the city to continue moving forward with unique Detroit flavor.

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Savannah - That was a good one.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.