Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Cinco de Mayo weekend « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Southwestsaavy
Username: Southwestsaavy

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything worth going to for the weekend?

Tacoaficionado
Username: Tacoaficionado

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suggest going further down Vernor to the West Vernor Business District...many inexpensive, authentic restaurants with 1/2 the wait. Try Las Brisas- they are featuring live music all weekend!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In southwest, expect real Cinco de Mayo flavor and culture.

Elsewhere, it's just "Drink-o de Mayo". :{

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who's got the best margaritas pouring? I'm talking about a fresh-squeezed, non-corn syrup-addled cocktail. I've been craving a good one practically ever since Agave closed its doors.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Bikes' 5 de Mayo ride, leaving from Clark Park at 10AM....

Southwestsaavy
Username: Southwestsaavy

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good margaritas at El Naciemento, on West Vernor in SW Detroit. It is about a mile west of Clark Park

(Message edited by southwestsaavy on April 30, 2008)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2472
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm talking about a fresh-squeezed, non-corn syrup-addled cocktail."

It's like getting a mojito with mint flavoring instead of real crushed mint!

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me and friends hope to go down there for some dinner then go to the Riverfront, nothing is happening there, it's just fun!

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try Los Altos (vernor) or Mi Pueblo (Dix), they're really authentic. Also, there's going to be a celebration at Clark Park on the 3rd & 4th.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 270
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm working on the west side of the state in Holland for the time being. While I've been here I have found that there is a sizable Latino population. I'm not sure if it's mostly Mexican or not, but in my local travels I have found some Mexican stores and Spanish signage.

Anyways, the ONLY event discussed around here is the Tulip Festival - starting this weekend.

Now I wonder if there is indeed a Cinco de Mayo fest here that flies under the radar of the state-acknowledged festival. Or if the local Latino population endures/celebrates the Tulip Fest.

I may never know. My engagement ends here this week :-(

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed there is a Cinco de Mayo festival in Holland. I found this:

"The Hispanic people of our city have help to build the community culture into part of what it is today. The Cinco De Mayo festival starts the Tulip Festival off with a flare. The food and the hospitality that the Hispanic people in our community are an outstanding feature that adds to our Dutch heritage. The Cinco de Mayo festival has many dancers and singers who portray the culture of their native country just as the Dutch present the culture of their native country."

http://www.trifter.com/USA-&-C anada/Michigan/Holland-Michiga n-My-Hometown.37158

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 720
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if anyone's gonna head out this weekend for the festivities weather is supposed to be crappy this weekend.

It's funny to see all the folk's come down to Mexican town and walk around all drunk and stupid. I like to have a drink or two, but most people who ive seen there seem like they had 6 or more.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5030
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I still lived in SWD, I would tell people to stay home (or maybe go to Puebla, Mexico) to celebrate the victory of the Mexican People over the French Occupiers (Mexican Conservatives at the time thought that it would be "elegant" for Mexico to be ruled by France...It didn't take long for most Mexicans to sour on the idea.)
There seems to be more drunken idiots at this event every year...which is no surprise, as this holiday has largely become an event for beer marketers to sell more beer.
But I'm far away, and SWD needs the money.
So go, but drive very carefully.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<quote>There seems to be more drunken idiots at this event every year...which is no surprise, as this holiday has largely become an event for beer marketers to sell more beer.</quote>

What? When did this happen?? next thing I know, you're going to tell me the same thing has happened to St. Patrick's Day!

Joymac
Username: Joymac

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make your own margaritas! It is cheaper and easy! I do equal parts of good tequila, grand marnier and FRESH squeezed lime juice. When we make them at home we call good friends over and say "wanna come over and blast off?" they know what that means. Really, just two at most for most people. Otherwise you may not remember how good you felt or what a great time you had.

Joymac

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, make your own tacos. Get a small boneless legg of lamb and simmer slowely for 3 + hours in chicken broth, add some peppers, onions. After the meat cooks, it will easily shred apart. drain, save broth for soup etc. Then lightly fry both corn and flour tortillas in oil and shape as tacos, drain on papertowl. Make refried beans, place on bottom, add shredded cheese, meat and more cheese on top. place in baking sheet so tacos stand up next to one another and place in 325 oven till cheese is melted. Pico de Gallo on top is best with sour cream. best darn tacos ever. you know what I am doing this weekend!

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless Joymac invites me over, I'm going to the Mexican Phone Company... Taco Bell.

Joymac

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry retroit, read this too late!

Animalparade
Username: Animalparade

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else drive up and down Vernor yesterday evening? There were clouds of smoke from muchachos burning rubber, a bro in a Lamborghini with the doors up blaring Jay Z, people doing donuts in the middle of intersections, and hardly a soul in the shops and restaurants. And not a single cop in sight. I guarantee 99% of those a**holes don't even know what Cinco de Mayo is--let alone what it means in English. It's just another reason to hit the streets and act like testosterone-infested jerkoffs.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at El Zocalo on Sunday night just as they were wrapping up their outdoor tent party. It was late, but everyone seemed to be having a good time and behaving themselves.
Of course, I didn't make it back for the actual Cinco.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aaaaah! You got to love those authentic ethnic celebrations!

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 513
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I biked down Vernor last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I just posted some photos on my blog at http://www.allyeargear.com/2008/biking-through-detroits-cinco-de-mayo/

Cinco de Mayo in Detroit

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.