Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Stoepel Park No. 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Morning,

I grew up on Auburn Street in Rosedale Park, with Stopel right at the end of my block, on the corner of Outer Drive and Evergreen.
Anyone else who grew up in my neighborhood remember the little colorful buildings that used to be at the park towards the front?
I was born in 1980 - and that is one of my earliest memories of the park, but the buildings were demolished when I was a little girl - and even THAT memory is vague.

Anyone remember those buildings? - or what purpose they served? I'm sure one of them was used for rest rooms or something. . .
Any pics?

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 526
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Handball courts?

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stoepel Park was the Spot before we fled to the burbs...

My Dad used to take my sister and me through the trails on our bikes. We BBQ'd there a few times too.

Goldensunshine

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I was little, so they could have been walls & not buildings, but seems like I remember little
house' type buildings . . .2 or 3 of them

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 396
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those were restrooms. Played a lot of baseball and tennis there way back when. hockey in the Winter too. The old wading pool/basketball court was flooded to make one

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 810
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to love to play rosedale park baseball there, I miss being a kid. Good thing there is sandlot baseball!

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They just cut the grass there today. Two more times left for this summer.

Actually, I drive by there frequently (four times today, in fact). I don't know what structures you're referring to, however. We played baseball there in the 80's, on the diamonds closer to Westwood. The tennis courts are infrequently used these days, although occasionally I see some team from somewhere out there practicing. The football field is five (six) years old (the goalposts at least) and in August the PAL teams are out there practicing, along with the cheerleaders.

With the exception of the occasional lazy asses driving their car to a picnic table (I hope they get stuck in the mud), and of course the annual tragedy of the stuffed animal memorial (people drive way too fast down Evergreen, even when the park is crowded), the park is rather sleepy and still quite pleasant.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i played baseball there in the early 80,s. don,t remember the buildings cept the grass was tall and the DPD helicopters buzzin around.

Goldensunshine

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's one thing I remember REALLY clearly, the Pal/Pop Warner kids - namely the green & yellow team (the giants I think they were called).

Some of the kids used to always walk down my street after the games with their uniforms on, and helmets in their hand.

I also remember some nearby school that used to have a parade every year that passed right by house, down Fenkell. My mom and I used to watch them from the sidewalk in front of the house.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.