Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 2 Riverwalk Cafe locations to open Friday « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 748
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good! Summer is almost here.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080429/NEWS01/ 80429065

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 399
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the chicken/egg thing again but I sure hope they get enough foot traffic to make the cafe viable.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't wait to go there soon. It's going to be a great summer for Motown!

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm wondering how well the Gabriel Park location can do at this point. I've hardly ever seen anyone over on that side.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8534
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

v

Gabriel Richard location.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I run the east riverwalk from The Joe to Belle Isle (cutting up to Jefferson) 3 to 4 days a week. When I arrive at Gabrial Richard Park I have seen a grand total of about 20 people there this spring and late last summer.

I'm not saying it wont work, but it is hard to look at it optimistically at this point. I am really excited about the one at Rivard Plaza though!

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 928
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thoughts exactly.

I am sure the Ricard Plaza one will be successful , but cant see how the other will survive

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the foot traffic is already great. Not sure about the east end because it is not connected, but I think the main cafe will do great. I can't wait to eat a meal on the riverfront.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2063
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the wheelhouse opens friday to rent bikes too!

www.wheelhousedetroit.com

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 507
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Riverwalk is looking at building parking and improved bike paths from Jefferson to the riverfront at Gabriel Richard Park. I'm not sure of the time line, but both would help increase park usage. It's a quiet gem that many don't realize exists.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're an east suburbanite, of course you can rack your bike to the front of the SMART bus, get off on Jefferson and ride the five blocks down to the water...

Ericsprague
Username: Ericsprague

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For now you may be able to park in the lot next to the Armory (you could last year).

The connection from G.R. Plaza under the B.I. bridge along the Uniroyal site to the completed section of Riverwalk at Mt. Elliott Park on west is supposed to be done by the end of next year, at which point usage of this plaza will certainly increase as people begin walking/riding the entire length from Joe Louis to Gabriel Richard.

Gabriel Richard Plaza

It really is a beautiful spot (nice view of the B.I. bridge, river and island, lots of trees, etc.) so it could be a good destination for an outdoor lunch. Hopefully a decent number of bikers, area residents and others will start patronizing it. Maybe they could put some kind of a sign out along Jefferson to let people know about it, even before adding the connections (sidewalks, etc.) that are being planned.

(Message edited by ericsprague on April 29, 2008)

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 889
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woohoo! I'm all for this and the bike rental.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bike rentals? In Detroit? Yay! Best news I've heard all day.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 427
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Riverwalk Video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oFM FB0dA-sU

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bad marketing. They need to post the hourly rate, not the daily rate.

A family of 5 is going to look at the site and say that they could buy 2 bikes at Target for the cost of their rental

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great story about the Wheelhouse in today's Metrotimes
http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=12826

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 331
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish,
If you click to get more information on the bike, it does break it down by hourly rate.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 842
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are pets allowed on the riverwalk?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 721
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've see lots of people walking their dogs on leash.

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes! Dogs are both allowed and encouraged!

Check out the Riverfront Canine Club! We meet every Wednesday evening and Sunday morning. Our first walk is tomorrow morning at 10 a.m.http://www.caninetofivedetroit .com/riverfront.php

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.