Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Ppl with warrants can turn themselves in with hope of lienency « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2008804290328
Anyone know if this program has any merit. Hidden motives?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"........to turn themselves in at a church in exchange for possible leniency."

So this is why Kwame held that press conference at his church? Leniency by way of baby jesus.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 481
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, Django. You may as well take it while you have the chance.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Im askin for a friend of mine, yeah, thats the ticket,a friend of mine.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like a big fat set up to me...just like the one time mailers were sent to people with warrants, telling them they'd won something. When they showed up to collect-SURPRISE! The police were waiting to arrest them.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 399
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has done this in this past; and I believe it’s been fairly successful.

The program is nothing more than “a project that enables people with arrest warrants for nonviolent offenses to turn themselves in at a church in exchange for possible leniency,” there are however no guarantees or promises.

There is a mini courtroom complete with prosecutor and judge, the leniency part comes in as the judge sees that the person voluntarily surrendered themselves, typically these are low level felony warrants.

It is a win-win situation for both sides as the police can set up shop in one location and hundreds and hundreds of people will take advantage of the offer.
The advantages to me would be if I was wanted, or had a no-nothing warrant out for my arrest, I could clear my name and stop worrying about going to jail every time I get pulled over and finally end the heart palpitations every time I look in their rear view mirror and see a squad car.

Of course you could wait until they have those warrant task force weekend roundups and the ever so delicate knocking on the front door at 5:30 AM, then the whole neighborhood sees your business.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley "just like the one time mailers were sent to people with warrants, telling them they'd won something"

That's why I threw away the offer of free 50-yard line tickets for the Lions playing in the SuperBowl...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.