Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Apartment - Looking for one downtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Adamtc1
Username: Adamtc1

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking to get an apartment in downtown. I would like to be as close to Main downtown or Wayne States campus. I am an architecture grad. so anything with some nice architecture features is great. I am living on a budget though and would like to find something between $500-$600. I'll be by myself so doesn't need to be real large. Loft style apartment is ideal but wiling to look at anything. Anyone know of some good places?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2241
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worst ... Thread ... Title ... Ever :-)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com

The link section of this site is also a good place to start. Check the classified ads on the tool bar above too.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2024
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Detroitnerd, I'm pretty sure this one is the worst. :-)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2243
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. I stand corrected, Detroitrise. :-)

Also, note Sean chiming in with help right away. I feel so judgmental! :P

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk to Scott Lowell at Traffic Jam. He renovates places by campus.

If you can handle the neighborhood, lofts in Capital Park. I can ask what units are available if you can handle the neighborhood. I am a chick and did just fine. They are 2,000 sqft, 500 a month. I lived there for 2 and 1/2 years a liked it. It is a bad place to own a car though if that is an issue. There are three buses one block away that all go to campus.

If you want more budget and great landlord, Jim Young has some nice studios (475) and one bedrooms and a completely renovated building by Cass Park. I had a great view of downtown, balcony, all utilities included. My neighbors were awesome. One of them is moving out tomorrow and had a nice unit. The parking situation is good. Never had any problems. School was so close I would bike ride or take the Hamilton bus that stops right in front. The neighborhood looks worse then it is. If you like a good neighborhood bar, the Temple is a stone throw away and has $.75 drafts. Everyone knows eachother in the bldg and it is really secure. Jim was an awesome landlord. I liked living here the most.

By campus, be careful. They expect college kids to have money. You also have to worry about roaches and Bedbugs. Avoid the Belcrest. My coworker said it was infested. Check out reviews of places before you move anywhere near campus.

If you want more of a flat situation, Larry John was really good in Woodbridge. The probably with that is heating bills will kill you. The neighborhood is really cool but you would probably want to find a roomate.

Shoot me a message if you need contact numbers for any of the places or have questions.
ah9191@wayne.edu

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best advice I can tell you is talk to people. If you do find something online, try to find a previous tenant. There are some real slum lords around and you want to find out who they are before you get signed in on a lease.

You need to weigh your options. If you want something close to campus, be prepared to pay more for less. I preferred a nice place a little farther away but I hate roaches. I rather deal with corridor hookers then bed bugs. I got bit on a trip in Europe and it sucked. That and they are really difficult to get rid of. Would you prefer good landlord over location. Space or community over cost.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the renaud, terraine, and annex on second at hancock are great, close to campus and not too spendy.

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please give my friend, Pat, a call. The property is on Field Street between Kercheval and Vernor.

It is a beautiful, well kept house and will suit your needs admirably. Close to downtown, Wayne Campus, Midtown, Belle Isle, etc.

Please call 313 922 7306.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give me a break... At least I'm making an effort!

So quick to criticize...

(Message edited by Sean_Of_Detroit on April 30, 2008)

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 653
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2000 sq- $500 month. I miss Detroit!

<313>

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

steer clear of any of the Boydell properties - you'll be lucky to get heat (which is supposedly included in your rent) - i had to threaten legal action to get my heat working.

That's any of the lofts in Greektown, Lafayette, on Brooklyn - any loftplace.com place is owned by one of the D's biggest slumlord.

Check out craigslist.org for rentals near WSU. Good luck

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it radiator heat? That doesn't often get turned on or off until a specific time of year. I'm not sure when, I never had to turn mine on myself.

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fyfe Apertments, 10 W. Adams St. Studios starting at $525 and one bedrooms at $660. I live here and I love it! Great location and view.

www.fyfeapartments.com

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Boydell has a terrible reputation but I've been living in one of their loft properties for a year now (Universal Lofts on Lincoln) and it's been great. I've had my share of problems but maintenance and management have always responded quickly in this particular building.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have experience with the "new" Cadillac Square Apartments? The location is spectacular and the building looks to be in great shape. My lease is up where I'm at and I wondered if this would be worth checking out.

thanks in advance

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if u are mobile or what your really looking for but, I would try Lafayette Towers. There are a lot of WSU and other students that live there. I stayed there a few years ago, and it is really comfy. U can get a high rise studio with a great view, and plenty amenities for around $575 ( not sure if they have gone up since though)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with the poster above. I lived at Lafayette Towers before moving over her to The Pavilion. Both were great places, but I would have to rank The Pavilion just slightly higher for a comparable price. It is the perfect location within walking distance of the ballparks/downtown, riverfront, and Eastern Market.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sean, it was radiator heat, but every floor in the bldg had heat & my floor didn't (lived on the top floor). Turned out there was a blockage somewhere in the system.

Thegryphon
Username: Thegryphon

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adamtc1, ur a arch. grad? I was thinking about going to UDM for arch. Comments?

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 249
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thegryphon
just graduated with my masters of arch from udm
highly recommended-great profs and the building is mostly remodeled
Expensive, but the education is very worth it
competition is steep
half of my freshman class dropped out after first semester, but don't let that deter you

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UDM SOA (school of architecture) is the best in the state, IMO. it is very expensive, but worth it. especially if you enjoy the city. they are quite involved with the community(s).

-RSA (rockstarchitect) UDM SOA '97-'02

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 571
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived at the Pavilion for three years now. Decent place. Moved here from the burbs and it's a great place for newcomers to the city.

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new cadillac square apartments are descent and have great view,I'm considering movin there with my business partner from chicago. The staff is very professional and has great services at your door step, also dog friendly. That's hard to find in a downtown highrise which is situated in the center of it all.....but I'm really trying to locate to the capitol lofts, if anybody have any info on that I will love it. My partner from chicago is eagerly and patiently waiting to move in a loft downtown.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.