Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Tax question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the houses we're looking at (abandoned) says taxes were $1906. My question is will that amount drop with the next evaluation due to the neighborhood declining or is that the starting point when we buy it and it goes up from there? It's in a subdivision called Grosse Pointe View.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homes are assessed based upon comparables meaning if you buy a home, fix it up, it will be worth a certain amount of money. $1,906 is probably a good starting place if this home is really repairable.

You'd need to look at a lot of variables before you can reasonably say if this is a good amount or not. This would include house size, value of other homes in neighborhood, condition or inclusion of outbuildings such as garages.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3391
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another trick that the assessors use is to spread out the average of the comparable value over the span of two years to further dilute any change in value.

If you call the clerk's office, they should be able to provide you with information on how the assessment is calculated.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm certainly no expert, but this may help you:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/ documents/publications/taxpaye rsguide.pdf

Specifically to address your question: Last paragraph of page 3.

Another interesting tool for comparing taxes in different areas:

https://treas-secure.state.mi. us/ptestimator/ptestimator.asp

Rid0617

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ouch, that means taxes up there are horrible. As much as we're trying to move up there, we're starting to see some real obstacles. Thanks much

(Message edited by rid0617 on April 27, 2008)

Retroit

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason taxes are so high in Detroit is that they are not being used for their intended purpose (collecting garbage, tearing down abandoned structures, fire trucks, etc.), but instead are being used to support the lavish lifestyles of the Mayor, Council, and their cronies (Not to mention $9 million law suits!).

Just out of curiosity, where are you currently living? It's always good to know what kind of decent people have been revulsed by our current leadership (Kwame the Clown and the Keystone Council!)

Rid0617

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in Greenville, SC. Our goal was to get me back to my birthplace, obtain a paid for home and get out of our current $586 mortgage. Also to basically get out of the backwards south.

There are 2 major obstacles fighting this. First is property tax. It appears that is going to be right around $200 a month. Next is auto insurance. If we get rid of one of our old cars we will still pay $68 a month more for the same coverage we have here. Currently we pay around $248 total every six months (liability & uninsured coverage only) for 2 cars. We have no idea what homeowners insurance would cost.

Factor in higher heating bills we're now at a point it would only save us about $200 a month moving than we currently pay on a mortgage so we're wondering if it's worth all the hassle for $50 a week.

We are a case of a white family wanting to move to Detroit. My wife is a waitress, I'm disabled so we're not worried about the loss of big money jobs. I do want to do my part in what ever limits I have to bring Detroit back. It's my home and even though I left in the late 60s as a kid I'm still attached to what Detroit means to me. But the cost of government in Detroit is a big detractor. Schools are not a problem as we home school.

I haven't given up on the idea though.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2465
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was just a somewhat similar thread a few weeks ago: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/136016.html?1209057629

Retroit

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you haven't been back since the 60's, brace yourself! Despite the euphoria often expressed on this forum, the vast majority of residential neighborhoods have deteriorated, some greatly.

You alone can't "bring Detroit back". That's up to the 840,000 people already here, and they don't seem to be too eager to join you.

My advice: Stay put. Don't turn your dream into a nightmare. Home is where you live, not where you came from.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2784
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The reason taxes are so high in Detroit is that they are not being used for their intended purpose (collecting garbage, tearing down abandoned structures, fire trucks, etc.), but instead are being used to support the lavish lifestyles of the Mayor, Council, and their cronies (Not to mention $9 million law suits!).

Funny. I thought it had something to do with all of the borrowing that we did in the 80s and 90s. After all, roughly 2/3 of the property taxes that we pay go for nothing but debt service.

But what do I know? I'm just a guy who reads his property tax bill.

Rid0617

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to believe the biggest problem with Detroit is it's leadership. I realize it is a majority black city but I also believe somewhere there are very qualified blacks waiting for the chance. We spent most of our lives in Atlanta which is another majority black city, totally black city & county government and a very progressive city. While some may see running for office in Detroit as the kiss of death, the right man that makes the right decisions could also be seen as a genius.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.