Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Red Bull Air Race: Who's going? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just bought my tickets today. Buying off the website (http://www.redbullairrace.com/) is a pain because the transaction is actually overseas and it kept asking for a pin number to use my Visa. YOu can just call and get them over the phone; much easier. 877-840-0457

Anyone else going? Should be something different and exciting.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2615
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm definitely going. I get excited every time I see the TV commercial for it.

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do we have to buy tickets for this thing? Can't we just go out on the public riverwalk or some other location to watch?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the tickets must be for bleacher seating etc...

I sent off for my media passes but I haven't heard back yet though.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 627
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sparty,

You have to buy a ticket for the priviledge to sit on a board, get slivers in your ass, and pay $8 for watery beer.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 394
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting that they can actually close a section of the public riverwalks (both sides of the border) for this event.

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure that was one of the selling points for the city of Detroit. Maybe Kwame promised to close off public areas so they could sell tickets while other cities were more reluctant.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 191
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your prob. right Sparty, thats out KK at work for us. But yes Im definitely going. I dont plan on paying anyone though except the liquor store on the way there.
Does anyone know about boating in the area that day. I would think if you stayed close to the canadian side youd be ok and outside their secured area. I hav'nt done a whole lot of research though

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 375
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to the St. Aubin marina for sat night by boat and hope to catch some of the action.

Jhartmich

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I bought tickets I asked the same question: "Won't allot of people just go on public property and watch the race?" He stated that the the public places along the river front will be closed off by police. You may see something from a couple blocks in from the river but for the most part, the flying is low off the water."

I've never been to something like this before and I want a good seat and want to patronize events like this so Detroit will get more of them, so I just decided to pay the $15 bucks. I'm excited. It should be good.

Django

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jhartmich, Dude I didnt mean to offend. Im just a poor sucker always lookin for a cheaper way to do things. Hell, Ill be payin more than you in gas for the damn boat. I hope we both enjoy the show. Should be a good one.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 840
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got tickets for the races Sunday. I have no idea what exactly goes on just patronizing the event. I'll be in the Hart Plaza area. Should be neat as hell!

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might catch the race in San Diego. The drone of these planes is an interesting sound.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm excited about going with my fam. It will be my first weekend back in the area for a rotation downriver.

Auspower
Username: Auspower

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The river will be closed for recreational traffic and commercial during the event. Canadian side will be closed too. It is supposed to be similar to the freedom festival fireworks except at the Belle Isle end the boats will be further up river...

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got my two tickets in the mail yesterday. I got my tickets for both days since they were only $5 more than getting them for just the race day.

Django

Post Number: 204
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Auspower, when you say it will be similar to the fireworks, except at the Belle Isle end the boats will be further up river. Im trying to figure out if I can get a boat somewhere to see the races. Im not familiar with boating at the fireworks. Can you turn me on to a site or phone # that can give me specifics. I want to watch them from a boat, but Not from 3 miles away.

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second that about boating. I missed my opportunity to get a slip at St. Aubin (Tri-Centennial) marina.

I too bought tickets, just in case I do not boat down. I am very excited for this.

Jhartmich

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm excited about this also.

Does anyone know: How did Detroit ever get this? With limited world-wide engagements, I'm really surprised it came to Detroit. This seems like something that would have chosen Chicago, an east coast city, or even the inter coastal somewhere along the Palm coast between Palm Beach and Miami. I'm happy about it coming, I'm just wondering why Detroit?

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will any of the WABX Air Aces be at the Air Races?

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 841
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the redbullairraces.com

"It’s not only Detroit’s rich knowledge in the automotive and aviation industries as well as its abundance of sports fans that make it an ideal stop for the Red Bull Air Race World Series – the city also shares an international border with Canada and the Detroit River. This aspect make it the first time the Red Bull Air Race will take place between two countries at the same time, making world history for the Series and for the cities of Detroit and Windsor, Ontario."

401don

Post Number: 411
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at the seating plans, there will be lots of great free viewing from the Windsor side. It appears only a very small portion will be closed off to the public.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 843
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you think there will be a good view from, say, 150 W. Jefferson? I was thinking about trying to go up to the balcony in that building... What do you guys think?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8611
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a

401don

Post Number: 427
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the sort of special, unique event that could draw from Toronto, Chicago, Cleveland, etc. I wish they were doing more to promote it. Do flying clubs, etc. in neighbouring states know about it? The Toronto Star Travel Section article on the other thread was nice but will do nothing to draw visitors. The city should have an ad for the races right beside the article.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Red Bull displays in Ann Arbor grocery stores have the same ad as the banners in that pic.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 316
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How the races came to Detroit:
http://detroitairracing.com/ab out.php

Heck Yeah I plan on being downtown for the event. Are there any bars in the area with rooftop seating and a view of the river? I can't think of any close to the water off hand. Getting a bunch of friends together and a room with a view at the RenCen Marriott might be a cool way to view the race.

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there and pumped up on Red Bull. hahaa

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the old Current's bar near the Ren Cen has rooftop seating. But, most likely will be closed to the public ya know!

401don

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless it's being used for a closed event, they should consider licensed, ticketed space on GM's garage rooftop.

Boynamedsue
Username: Boynamedsue

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are advertising onthe the tv in chicago like crazy

401don

Post Number: 437
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear they're promoting it in Chicago. Is it Red Bull advertising or gov't?

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Article on the Air Race from last week's Real Detroit Weekly: http://www.realdetroitweekly.c om/article_4135.shtml

The billboards are all over the metro area. I also saw some nice wraps advertising the race on the small tunnel into the RenCen People Mover station. I'm getting psyched!

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 349
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if this will be televised? I've only seen one billboard for this and didn't notice any mention of TV coverage.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TV ads for this have been airing in NYC awhile now, and Detroit is VERY well represented in the ads (much more prominently than San Diego).

All of the air racing that I've seen has been televised on Speed TV.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10168
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all you whiners bitching about paying for it you are the same whiners who bitch that Detroit is ignored in the world and doesn't attract anything.
If you don't buy tickets I doubt this event will come back. They do need to make some money for the race.
Detroit/Windsor are lucky to have been approached for this yearly event and you cheapskates won't buy a $20 ticket for two days or evenless for one day.
But I bet some of you are the same people who cry that Detroit doesn't have any shopping and buy all your shit from big box stores in the suburbs. Typical!

Django

Post Number: 330
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor56

I checked into gettin a room at the ren cen as soon as heard about this event a while back. I wanted a room with a view of the river. They couldnt promise that and said its a first come first serve basis (Im sure they were just all taken already) My sis in chicago checked into getting a room there recently and said there all sold out now.

Click and Clack are on I gotta go. See you all there, That Sunday anyway.

Oh yea, real quick, I live here, Im not payin.

(Message edited by django on May 10, 2008)

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 380
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hows this for a course:

2 laps around the Penobscot Building, 2 laps around Ren Cen, 3 loop d loops over Belle Isle, fly under Ambassador Bridge, 1st one to Zug Island wins.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 387
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did this many people complain about paying for the Grand Prix since it was on public land? Well the city owns the JLA and I live here so I should be able to goto that for free too right? Come on, $20 and you get seats and a jumbotron. Not too shabby, and you can come and go as you please, swing by a bar etc. I hope there is live coverage. Also perhaps this is one more event that can help to push riverfront properties.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 211
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, The saving grace of all this is that at least it came to the "D".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.