Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Stoogefest 2nite « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes ya'll, Stoogefest at the Redford Theatre, show starts at 7:30 I believe. Four Curly's and 1 Shrempest. :-)

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 455
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shoot. I thought this post was about Iggy. :-/

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 163
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iggy's in the basement, mixing up the medicine. He was the psychedelic stooge.

They show six shorts at the Stoogefest. Five Curlies, one Shemp.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 179
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully "Disorder in the Court" will be one of the shorts.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Iggy was with the Stooges, they were billed as Larry, Moe and Hemp.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""Hopefully "Disorder in the Court" will be one of the shorts.""

that is on EVERY vhs tape of the stooges ever released (with the exception of the stooges collection that was put out by Sony i believe)...

one of my favorites is Men in Black..."calling doctor howard doctor fine doctor howard"...and since im an electrician in A Plumbing We Will Go, when Moe tells Curly to find some pipe for a leaking steamline, he grabs some conduit (electrical) and yanks it out of the fuse box. he says to Moe "its no wonder the plumbing in this house dont work, the pipes full of wires." Moe replies "Well yank 'em out of there and get that pipe over here." that leads to the black cook seeing the light bulb fill with water and the gas stove to spray water out of the burners. he looks at the camera and says "This house sure gone crazy!"

too bad its so far away...

Crystal

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brothers and I are Stoogephiles from way back, and use Stooge sayings in daily conversation.

We identify other Stoogephiles by their recognition of terms and phrases like "Southern Comforter" (used to describe any dish that did not turn out), "Cotton!", "Where are the tools?", and "I resemble that remark!" to name but a few.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh poo! I thought his thread was telling me about a 3 Stooges marathon on television! :-(

Ltdave

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mom and i used to watch them on wkbd 50 when they would alternate with laurel and hardy in 82-83...

my dad cant stand them..."someones always getting smacked in the head with a mallet"...

my buddy and i watched them all the time. i watch them occasionally now. have nearly all on VHS (sony collection i mentioned earlier)

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 238
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Men in Black was one of the shorts they showed.
It was still funny, and I've seen it five times.
There was no Disorder in the Court.
As usual there were five shorts with Curly and one with Shemp.
Great crowd on Saturday nite, the MC said attendance was just short of 1,000. The Redford is looking fantastic in its restored glory.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link to three pages of streaming flash video of Three Stooges film shorts.

Alluc TV - 3 Stooges

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 383
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife watches all the CSI shows where they show (in detail, with sound) how a bullet or knife tears through the body. But she won't watch the Stooges because they hit each other.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 168
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dump her

Crystal

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly, Dfd, it's a puzzle.

Others can't reconcile how highly educated, PBS-watching, civic-minded people can watch the barbaric Stooges.

We tolerate their unenlightened selves and reply, "Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk."

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 629
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://threestooges.net/index. php

Thank me.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome Jrvass. :-)

(Message edited by DetroitRise on April 27, 2008)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6728
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Generally speaking men find Curly Howard one of the greatest comedic geniuses of the 20th century, while women find the 3 Stooges not funny.

What was the name of the episode where they did the musical number (in College robes)...

B A Bay...
B E Bee...
B I Bicky Bye...
B O Bow...
Bicky Bye Bow B U Boo
Bicky Bye Bow Boo

That was my favorite...

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i learn alot from this site, but it makes me relize how much i forget. wanted to go to stoogefest forgot about it, after seeing bullit& the blue brothers there i love that place. my grandma would not let me watch the stooges when i was a kid, yet when she lived with us before she passed she,d watch them with me on amc? she,d laugh and shake her head. then point her finger a me and smile. remember when livonia mall used to host stoogefest?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, it was "Violent is the Word for Curly" and the song was "Swingin' the Alphabet"...

Jrvass

Post Number: 633
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moe, Larry and Curly are gas station attendents who blow up an automobile with three foreign professors going to Mildew's Girl College. The Stooges change into the professors' clothes and impersonate them at the school. In class, the Stooges teach the girls how to "Swing the Alphabet," and follow up by teaching Mrs. Catsby how to play basketball, Stooge-style!

Swingin' the Alphabet's composer was Septimus Winner (1827 - 1902), and it was originally published in 1875 as The Spelling Bee. The [Charley] Chase family maid knew the song, and taught it to the children... and Charley brought it to the Three Stooges' VIOLENT IS THE WORD FOR CURLY. Thanks to film historian Richard Finegan for this outstanding discovery, published with additional detailed background in The Three Stooges Journal # 116 (Winter 2005).

Cast Members: Moe Howard (Moe) · Larry Fine (Larry) · Jerry Howard (Curly) · Gladys Gale (Mrs. Sufferin Catsby, the Dean) · Marjorie Dean (Mrs. Catsby's daughter) · Bud Jamison (Gas station owner) · Eddie Fetherstone (Foreign professor) · John T. Murray (Foreign professor) · Pat Gleason (Foreign professor)

Production Crew: Charley Chase (Producer) · Hugh McCollum (Producer) · Charley Chase (Director) · Al Giebler (Story and Screenplay) · Elwood Ullman (Story and Screenplay) · Lucien Ballard (Photography) · Arthur Seid (Film Editor)

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 464
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry and Shemp are my favorites. Curly was funny to me when I was little, but now that I'm older just looking at Larry and his expressions cracks me up.

Gistok

Post Number: 6733
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info East_Detroit and Jrvass!

Hmmm now that has me wondering about the letter "F".... :-)

F A Fay
F E Fee
F I Ficky Fi
F O Fo
Ficky Fi Fo F U Fuw
Ficky Fi Fo Fuw

Rushbuzz1013
Username: Rushbuzz1013

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friends and family would be upset with me because I'd enjoy watching and laughing to Stooges DVDs with my kids. They were younger and learned to love them as I still do. Funny tho....look at the violent crap today's kids watch. Both of my kids and I are college educated and nobody has been hit over the head with a hammer.

May the Stooges live forever!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stooge Trivia: The ones co-written by Clyde Bruckman are my favorites.

Ltdave

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

okay...

all my productivity has just gone out the window...

the link to the 2-reelers will now occupy all of my time, free or otherwise

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I could not agree more. Curly truly is a comedic genius.

Personally, Disorder in the Court is my favorite.

Stooge Trivia: Shemp is the original third stooge but left to pursue a solo career and was replaced by younger brother Curly.

Deegee
Username: Deegee

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

didn't care much for brother Joe. Wasn't as funny as the others!

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry is my Stooge. Used to be Curly years ago, naturally. Moe is boss. Funny haircut! Shemp is a classic, played in a lot of Abbott and Costello's.

Q - "How will we recognize the Professor?"
A - "By his magnificent hair."

Moe - "Settle down Tarzan, you're in a courthouse, not the jungle." THWAP!

Jrvass

Post Number: 635
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe Besser and Curley Joe DeRita were not Howard Brothers (Shemp, Moe, Jerry or "Curley").

Emil Sitka, a popular extra in later Stooge shorts (famous line: "Hold hands, you two lovebirds.") was to replace Larry after Larry's stroke & eventual death. But all he did was take some promotional stills.

Moe fell ill and the act died with him.

Gistok

Post Number: 6740
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More Stooge trivia...

Curly was injured in an accidental self inflicted gunshot (circa age 15) wound to the leg, and never saw proper medical attention. So he walked funny in the movies to compensate for his limp.

Curly was married 4 times and died pretty much penniless at age 49 (1952). Larry spent much of his money at the race track. Only Moe amassed a sizeable amount of money.

Both Moe and Larry died the same year... 1972.

Brothers Shemp (born 1895, died 1955), Moe (born 1897, died 1972), and Curly (born 1903, died 1952), were Jewish and their real family name was not Howard, but Horowitz.

Larry Fine was also Jewish, and kept his last name.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7680
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, wasn't Larry Fine born Louis Feinberg?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7681
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALL of the Howards (Moe, Curly, & Shemp) of the Jewish faith. They were born Horwitz.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my favorite Stooges short with Curly was the one when they were in the armed services and sank the admiral's battleship.

Another was one with Shemp where the boys were plumbers and connected a house's water pipes to the gas and electric lines...

Never liked Joe DeRita, he was too much of a whiner, and the only Stooge short that I liked that he appeared in was the flying saucer episode when he was kissed by that sexy female alien.

Woman at party: You act as if the Sword Of Damocles is hanging over your head...

Moe: Lady, you must be psychic!!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The plumbing "short" was with curly, they hooked the plumbing into the electrical conduits (some more expensive homes of the 20s and 30s were built with conduit like a commercial building) and water started coming out of the electrical boxes! There was a very early television set (about an 8" screen) in that short, the people were watching niagra falls, then water shot out of the Television set.

Ltdave

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""the one when they were in the armed services and sank the admiral's battleship""

who fired that shot?!

i did. i seen my duty and i done it!

now dont get sore at him, he seen his duty and he done it!

or something like that

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.