Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » A few questions about Kenneth "Bubba" Helms « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know I was thinking about the poor s.o.b. the other day & I was thinking, did he really lay a curse on The Tigers?
Is it worse than the one on the Red Wings 'til they apologized to Terrible Ted?
Why does that historic photo remind me of the cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Street Survivors"?
Would it only take somebody a 5th of Beam & weed to go out in public dressed like THAT-Downriver or no Downriver?
Why couldn't the Freep or anybody notice he'd o.d.'d on pain pills in April of 2001 til 3 years after he was dead?
Why is this played up & not the 2 LAPD cruisers & newsvan flipped & set afire outside Staples Center after the 2000 NBA Championship?
Did anybody here know the guy?
http://community.foxsports.com /blogs/mustangj17/2006/01/13/T he_Man_Who_Ruined_Detroits_Ima ge

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bubba was used as a stereotype by Coleman Young to serve his purpose of portraying the suburbs as hostile, ignorant and intolerant.

Did you see what happened in Montreal after their 7th game victory that only advanced them into the quarter finals?
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montr eal/story/2008/04/22/mtl-habs. html?ref=rss

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I thought the freep did an article about him just after he passed away.

It was discussed on this site several times.

I have to feel sorry for the guy; I recall reading that he felt ashamed even to the time of his death. That was not deserved.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 456
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Dan. I feel sorry for the clueless yob. He was just partyin'. Plus, I really doubt people today still remember that photo as an image of Detroit. At the time the pic made an impact, but people forget.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 949
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They never forget the bad stuff about Detroit. It's unfortunate but true. Too bad it's reinforced by clueless local leaders.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.