Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Anybody work at the Cadillac/FisherBody plant at Springwells and Fort st? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked there in the late 70's, anybody else work there or live by there? I remember the Lawndale bar, but can't remember the bars right across the street from the plant on Fort St.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8500
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fleetwood kept many bars in the area open. I remember seeing a couple of safes that on payday would have $10-20grand to cash paychecks from there.

Dad worked there.

BTW it was Westend and Fort St.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 386
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the Michigan Cadillac plant, correct? I never worked there, but my uncle was a foreman there for years. He mentioned a diner he would go to on Michigan where the ham & pea soup was thick as oatmeal. And didn't that plant move to Livonia in the 80s?

Jams

Post Number: 8501
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, it was referred to as Fleetwood it provided the upholstery to the Michigan Cadillac plant on Michigan Ave.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bars across the street - The Hollywood was one of them. As for the soup at Clark street assy it was Liles and changed owners and became Mikes Ham Place, still making ham sandwiches and soup.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 389
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great. I'll have to try out Mike's Ham Place next time in town. Google shows it is at Michigan & Roosevelt. New owners, but from reviews online, it sounds like the soup and ham sandwiches are still worthy of a trip down there. Thanks.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 225
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Nope, it was referred to as Fleetwood it provided the upholstery to the Michigan Cadillac plant on Michigan Ave."

The Fleetwood plant at Fort & West End was Fisher Body where the body components were assembled. Wasn't the upholstery manufactured at the old Ternstedt fabrication facility around Fort & Livernois ?

Jams

Post Number: 8512
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could be. I remember my dad talking about the sewers at Fleetwood and their Singers, but I was very young at the time, so likely my recollections are very fuzzy.

Now, if you were to ask me about Archway cookies and Dad's westside route....

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12557
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father worked in the offices of both Fleetwood and Ternstedt...I might be able to get him to come on here and share what he remembers.

For a time, he passed out the paychecks at one or both places and was a very popular fellow.

He drove a '68 Beetle to Fleetwood...but wonders where I get my hippy-ness from, heh.

Some of my earliest childhood memories were of those trucks leaving Fleetwood with 5 or 6 2/3rds of a Cadillac on their backs...and those damn slag trucks that used to clog up Dix/Toledo Rd. between Lonyo and Central or so, stinky mofos for sho.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 530
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was the yard switcher, back 78-79 at Fleetwood. the bar across the street was The Fleetwood Inn, great burgers.

Soter
Username: Soter

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at Fleetwood from fall of 1976 to summer 1978 when I ran out of money for college. I lived in Delray just a few blocks south of the plant and walked to work. I quit when I had enough money to finish school. The plant was at Fort and West End. I worked in the body shop hanging doors on the Cadillacs, 70 cars an hour.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 278
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

isn,t that place a railroad yard now? and has anyone been to the hard hat bar on Fort& McKinstry?

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 541
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it now is a ocean container yard.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 483
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it's an intermodal transfer facility from Railcars to Semis and back. The regular train yard in the same area is called the Garden Yard and once was full of tracks for the Detroit Produce Terminal. Today, the Terminal is still served by trains but on a much reduces scale. When did Fleetwood close, anyways?

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 513
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soter-

Does the name Parsons ring a bell? Ron or Buck......? I went to school with Ron and his dad, I believe, was a foreman. Ron started there in around '76 and his dad started wayyyyy before that! They were related to the Parsons family (Benny and Phil) of stock car fame.

Lunch was always at Jerry's Federal Bar, too.

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked on the 6th floor as a loner from 74-76. Bruno Constentine was my boss. Was a janitor from 76-78 there. Worked all three shifts. Was a big old building with lots of nooks and cranies to explore. I know the plant manager had some of the nicest paneling on his walls I have ever seen.

Sshaw
Username: Sshaw

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soter... Was you Dad Mike in Facilities Engineering?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.