Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Development news for my Ferndale people « Previous Next »
Archive through April 25, 2008Professorscott30 04-25-08  1:57 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 782
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, Professorscott. I think if Detroit didn't have the crime problem, people wouldn't b**** about the tax. That's the core issue that needs to be addressed.

Xd - I think you're missing it still. They'll be leaving where they are now (i.e. un-urban MH, Troy, Sterling Heights) to go to "urban" places, and not to Troy or MH but to Ferndale, Royal Oak, more to A2, etc. that are closer to that urban experience than where they are now.

MH will not be some urbanist revolution - hope I didn't give you that impression.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 390
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"MH will not be some urbanist revolution"

Well, that sounds like the MH I know.

Grouping Madison Heights with Ferndale or Royal Oak just didn't make sense, which was why I brought it up. But now I see where you're coming from. Glad you pointed that out a second time. Seeing MH as one-day hip was a quite trip. Things are appearing normal again. Cheers.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6362
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody noticed the Hot Dog vendor that started taking up shop downtown on 9 mile during the week? I haven't stopped there yet, because I tend to walk to town on the weekends, not weekdays, but you've gotta love what a hot dog cart adds to the atmosphere of a city.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 463
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"but you've gotta love what a hot dog cart adds to the atmosphere of a city."

If by atmosphere you mean the aroma, maybe. But who would want to eat a hot dog bought from a street vendor? I don't even do that in NYC.

Thafuzz
Username: Thafuzz

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Ferndale!

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'll need to do something about all the surface lots east of Woodward before they can truly increase density. Also, the numbers of vacancies seems to rise daily. We've all heard about Maria's and Record Time, now the latest victims are the piano store north of 9 on Woodward, Contempo Home, the garrish home decor shop (whose name I never knew), Dragonfly, R2 Casuals.... Not good.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7313
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xd_brklyn,

Madison Heights is booming with a new Chinatown along John R. Rd. north of 12 Mile Rd. In about 100 years A bigger and better Chinatown will dominate that area.

Ferndale, Royal Oak and Birmingham is becoming a hip cool city for Homosexuals and demand for housing retail and Homosexual centers are in the works.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7679
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's ever questioned you but WHAT IN THE WORLD are you ranting about??

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7314
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy,

You see what's going on in Ferndale, The next Gayopolis. Long gone is the family owned bedroom neighborhoods and mom and pop stores and Homosexual families will filling their those communities.

Fmstack
Username: Fmstack

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In any other forum, I'd be certain this dude was a troll. In this one... not so sure.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6392
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assure you, Danny's homophobia is very real. The reason for it, however, remains open for debate. I have my theory.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thafuzz, Ferndale misses you more! :-)

Fmstack
Username: Fmstack

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I think Danny's trying to find Narnia, if you know what I mean.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 838
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the hot dog cart sell hot pretzls?

(Message edited by defendbrooklyn on April 29, 2008)

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 510
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me in as a happy Ferndale resident. We moved here in 2000 from Rochester, and don't miss the traffic up there, and like Ferndale's central location and mix of people.

-As for the ""Gayopolis" comment, I'd much rather live here, than in "Red-Neckopolis",or "White-Trashelvania" which I had next door to me for a long time (Yes in Ferndale) complete with junk cars, pit-bull, and abusive, drunk always out-of-work husband. When the bank foreclosed on the house, and they left, we in the neighborhood were more than happy to see them leave, and the Ferndale Police (which were there on a weekly basis) don't miss them either. My gay neighbors on the other hand are great people, keep their property up nicely, and care about their community.

I didn't know about the hot-dog cart; I'll eat a hot-dog from a street vendor. We just need a good mom-and-pop Mexican Taqueria, and some light-rail up Woodward to make it complete.

-Speaking of which Salt Lake City (Of all places) debuted their commuter trains yesterday, in addition to their light-rail system. Someday SE Michigan might realize the 70's are over and join the 21st century ;-)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6614
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford switches Dream Cruise sponsorship from Birmingham to Ferndale

quote:

Birmingham can say goodbye to Mustangs and Good Vibrations during Dream Cruise week.

Ford Motor Co., the city's official sponsor during the annual car event, announced it's abandoning Birmingham in favor of Ferndale. Visibility was a key driving force behind the decision.

"First and foremost is the location - Shain Park was never an ideal location," Ford marketing manager Robert Parker said. "It's pretty far from Woodward ... probably a quarter mile. The closer you are to Woodward, the closer you are to the action."

Ford used Shain Park as a staging ground for classic car displays and major charity events. The company also brought in national acts, like the Beach Boys, to entertain the public.

In Ferndale, they'll take up a prime spot on the corner of Nine Mile and Woodward.

"We always had two different locations," Parker said. "We've been in Ferndale longer than Birmingham and it just makes more sense for us to have everything strategically in one place."

:-)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080512/NEWS03/ 80512044/1005

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6639
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor: More want to move to city

quote:

Mayor Craig Covey told a Chamber of Commerce audience Tuesday -- in his State of the City speech -- that he knew of couples from communities to the north of Ferndale who'd decided they wanted sidewalks and friendly neighbors and either have bought houses in Ferndale or were home shopping there.

"The point of these examples is that the inner-ring suburbs around Detroit are going to come back because people want to know their neighbors and be able to walk to things," he said after his speech at Emory restaurant on Woodward near 9 Mile.

One of the home shoppers -- Molly Shor, 38, of Clarkston -- said she and her husband are house-hunting in Ferndale, Pleasant Ridge and Huntington Woods.

"As much as we've enjoyed living in Clarkston, we feel that the exurbs are too far removed from everything," she said. "I hate all the driving."

Covey hopes to reverse a decades-old trend in which Ferndale, and other older suburbs near Detroit, have lost population dramatically while Troy, Clarkston and other younger communities gained residents, said Paul Tait, executive director of the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments.

More...

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080514/NEWS03/ 805140340/1005

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11729
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferndale and Dearborn should be models for other older inner rings to follow. While others struggle it seems to me that Ferndale and Dearborn will both continue to improve.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright! Let’s spread the fucking joy to Ferndale's eastside! Ha ha, suckers!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6727
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VERY COOL Detroit News Photo essay on Ferndale past and present:

http://multimedia.detnews.com/ pix/photogalleries/newsgallery /woodward_ferndale_05072007/in dex.htm

Hbisson
Username: Hbisson

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great link Johnlodge, thanks for posting. As a Ferndale resident I have to say the parking issue has to be resolved before the city will really boom.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6730
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a Ferndale resident, I just walk everywhere. :-) But yeah, for everybody else coming to visit, a parking structure is pretty much inevitable I think. They've started the process and had all the possible locations studied, per the PDF link I posted earlier in this thread.

Hbisson

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're on the other side of Hilton these days so rarely do we walk into downtown. Years ago when I lived right on 9 mile I certainly walked everywhere. Even my job was right across the street. They've been talking about building a parking structure in the Troy lot for years and years.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6756
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Contempo Home, the garrish home decor shop (whose name I never knew)

Treelock, one of those two, I forget which, is actually just moving down the street, into the Ferndale Arts Building. They aren't closing.

Hbisson

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh to fuel the rumor fires I've heard that a former employee of Maria's is looking to re-open the place in a roundabout way. I've also heard that Simon from Nami and his partner have taken over Maria's spot on Nine Mile and may be opening another restaurant but this is all hearsay at this point.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6758
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nami is great, that would be a welcome development. I believe they get their fish from Noble Fish, like all the other good sushi places in the area.

Hbisson

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone HAS to get their fish from Nami as Noble corners the sushi market on importing fish through True World Foods. (I used to manage Nami)

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I haven't checked this thread in a while, so while looking at the photos in the link Johnlodge posted (photos 2,3,4,and 5) my first thought was "I remember that store, and that one, and Professional Arts Pharmacy and the Tip Top Cafe and etc."

The second thought was "Gawd, I'm getting old....."

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The other home decor shop that has been on Woodward for a long tome is Casual Living Modes.

Contempohome
Username: Contempohome

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CONTEMPO HOME IS ALIVE AND WELL! IN OUR NEW HOME AT: 195 WEST NINE MILE RD. SUITE B-2 FERNDALE FINE ARTS BUILDING FERNDALE, MI 48220. WE CAN'T WAIT TO SEE ALL OF OUR RETURNING CUSTOMERS AND MEET MANY GREAT NEW ONES AS WELL. THANK YOU CORP! MAGAZINE READERS FOR VOTING US AS A RETAIL WINNER FOR "BEST OF MICHIGAN BUSINESS" 2008, AND TOP 5 FOR CHANNEL 4 NEWS: "BEST HOUSEWARES IN METRO DETROIT". VISIT US ONLINE AT: WWW.CONTEMPOHOMESTORE.COM. HOURS:SUN: 12-4 MON: CLOSED TUES-THUR. 11:30-6 FRI-SAT: 11:30-7

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.