Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » New Detroit Documentary « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Calvino
Username: Calvino

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine just released an interesting DVD recounting the history of Detroit crime (The Purple Gang, gangs like the Errol Flynn's, the Young Boys, White Boy Rick, etc.). I recommend you check out the documentary's site. There's a very cool interactive map of Detroit's neighborhoods.
The movie's called "Detroit: 100 Years of Crime and Violence". It's available on Amazon.com.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 419
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O yeah I should spend $20 + dollars to see a movie about Crime and Violence in Detroit!

No More Neg Sterotypes!

Calvino
Username: Calvino

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not really sure what it has to do with negative stereotypes. This is a guy (Detroit native) who studied with me at U of M with a graduate degree in economics. I don't want to give the impression it's a celebration of crime, or a session of Detroit-bashing. It's simply an interesting history of organized crime in the city, from it's earliest manifestation to today.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder will it show the influence they had or still have on the unions. Nobody really talks about that in Detroits' history.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 965
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a shot of the DVD cover. Looks like the official title is MURDER CITY Detroit: 100 Years of Crime and Violence.

dvd

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3382
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't necessarily look at it as a negative stereotype, I see it as local history.

I'd hate to see this brushed aside, just because the subject matter is something that someone doesn't want to acknowledge.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 385
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the title is a sensational, but they are in the business of selling DVDs. What is the company producing this? An AL PROFIT Company? Nice B-movie touch. I'll have to rent it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.