Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » What type of stores do you want to see open in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Archive through April 23, 2008Cas30 04-23-08  12:02 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7304
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would like to see on the Downtown Detroit Woodward business corridor is Dollar stores, cleaners, a Subway Shop, Mc Donald's Burger King, Ice Cream parlors, Burger King, Taco Bell, Quiznos, International restuarants, Barber shops, chothiers, boutiques, Del Taco, Jack in the Box, Bath and Body Works, public baths and many more.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One where I can have a range of quality US made products to choose from.

Danny

Post Number: 7305
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to see a new Chinatown District being built up at Capitol Park and Washington Blvd.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Everyone loves the "D" - it's time to see it on more goods aside from t-shirts, jackets, and hats."

cas, my brother and i make lots of detroit items besides t-shirts, jackets and hats. you can check them out on our website: www.ilovecitybird.com

Detblue
Username: Detblue

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vacant Farmer jack's on Jefferson would be a great location for big box retail...

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1987
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The vacant Farmer jack's on Jefferson would be a great location for big box retail..."

Nobody wants it.

Although the key is always available for whoever steps up. :-)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I would like to see a new Chinatown District being built up at Capitol Park and Washington Blvd."

I've never heard an idea this dumb before.

"It would like to see on the Downtown Detroit Woodward business corridor is Dollar stores, cleaners, a Subway Shop, Mc Donald's Burger King, Ice Cream parlors, Burger King, Taco Bell, Quiznos, International restuarants, Barber shops, chothiers, boutiques, Del Taco, Jack in the Box, Bath and Body Works, public baths and many more."

Well I guess I was wrong. ^^^That is the dumbest idea I've ever heard.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on April 23, 2008)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All in all, I would love to support local businesses in the city.

However, the local people that actually take some type of pride in their business are few and far between.

Of course, I'm not traveling 20 minutes across town just to get some carpet cleaner.

For example, people in the city don't want to shop at grocery stores where they don't feel welcome, that are rat infested (Mazen Foods) or can't purchase fresh food.

Heck, I was at the CVS the other day on 7 Mile and Schoenherr and the one word I can use to describe it is "ghetto."

I just simply get better service outside the city, and the chain stores do offer a better variety of items at better prices.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man that's bogue!

Cas
Username: Cas

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y'know, Birdie, I was actually going to mention you in that post, but I didn't want to pack in too many words. I saw you in Metro Mode and I checked your stuff out. I LOVE what you guys do and you both are exactly what Detroit needs.

And, yeah, I wouldn't want to shop at places that are pits. But, that's why entrepreneurs need to step up and change things. Chains like CVS and larger worry only about the bottom line. They couldn't give two cents about what happens for Detroit and it is quite obvious that Detroit absolutely needs businesses that need to be profitable as well as instrumental in building and maintaining community pride.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you, cas!

and i couldn't agree with you more about needing local entrepreneurs and businesses who care and engender community pride.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

has everyone forgotten the fact that suburban shopping malls and big box retail chains have higher crime rates than their urban counterparts. chicago has a huge home depot, target, and kohls just north of the loop-detroit has the ability to support such retail. lets not forget before the home depot was built on 7 mile and meyers it was a kmart-and it made a killing. highest grossing kmart in the nation-at the time. why did it close? huge rates of theft. what no one seems to remember is how the store was laid out. rather than orient the merchandise aisles parallel or diagonal to the check-outs, they were perpendicular. huge amounts of theft occured. the city wants big box, and aside from all the bad things big boxes bring, they do fill a much needed niche within the city. the closest thing we may see is something in the shoppes at gateway. unfortunately, its taking the form of a strip mall rather than a more security conscious rochester village or the like. if only the light-rail were already there. then i could piss and moan for something much better than rochester village.

in terms of local entrepenuers...lets save something better like the avenue of fashion, mexicantown and a good mix downtown for them. i want and need my national chains-and they belong, but on the periphery.

(Message edited by hybridy on April 23, 2008)

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are people seriously citing drug stores and hardware stores as the greatest unmet needs in the city? Those are two of the things that we actually DO have a decent supply of! I can think of 4 hardware stores in the greater downtown area and at least two 24-hour drug stores off the top of my head.

I have to agree that a Target or Kmart in the greater downtown would be great. Also, big shocker, we need areas like Merchant's Row and Washington Blvd. to fill out with a solid strip of clothing stores.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dairy queen

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to point out that there are Big Boxes in Detroit. I can think of two off the top of my head. One is a Super K mart within the City limits. There is also an Office Depot in Warrendale.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on April 23, 2008)

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to see a hookah lounge downtown.

Danny

Post Number: 7308
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That vacant Farmer Jack's on Jefferson would make a great bowling alley.

Wpitonya
Username: Wpitonya

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it would be great if DD filled in like Manhattan, where you could have a sketchy corner store next to a trendy lounge next to an American Apparel, then a sports bar. Basically, a complete hodge podge.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that would be cool, I wouldnt mind a Target but as for Walmart and cost-co, i would be mad. but id like to see a pool hall downtown, besides waiting forever at Bronx to shoot some billiards.

Detblue
Username: Detblue

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ nice danny, or skating rink w/ pool tables...

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently went to Lansing and they have a beautiful shopping area called the Eastwood Towne Center. http://www.cbre.com/USA/US/MI/ Lansing/property/eastwoodtowne center.htm
This place was awesome, would do very well in Detroit or Highland Park. They also have great stores on the border of the center (it could be a Home Depot, Meijer, Walmart, Target, really any store would do well). This shopping area reminded me of the Atlanta shopping area called Atlantic Station just not as big. http://www.atlanticstation.com /concept.php

One of my biggest problems living here is that I have to drive so far to go to my favorite places. I am really hopeful that more corporations start to take a chance and open their stores here. But, that may never happen if we continue to drive to where they are now.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Medical Marijuana Discount

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forget Walmarts and giant department stores. Believe me when I say "there is a better way"... ;)

I could open a store and compete with Walmart (and win) in Detroit. So could any of you! I'm guessing some of you will.

I'd all but bet my life on it.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I apologize, but if Sean-Mart doesn't offer what I need or is out of my way, then Wal-Mart will be getting my business. :-)

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 339
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will there be Sean John Jeans at Sean-Mart?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, but I wont be the owner or supplier of these stores.

I'm not one of those people who thinks they can be a super hero. Lol, we don't need another hero. What we need is each one of us to take part. That's the key, and that's the idea. I'm not doing anything special at all. All I'm doing is trying to point out the obvious answer that for some reason is being overlooked.

I'm getting way to far ahead of myself. Forget that post. I'll explain it better another time. Just think about it though. How could a bunch of retailers and suppliers that are individually owned increase customer base, lower prices, increase service, and protect against the prospect of a Walmart type competitor shutting them down? Just think about it.

Then again, maybe it's a horrible idea. I guess I really don't know yet.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one can really compete with Wal-Mart on price--their costs are lower than anyone else's, and their corporate culture is all about keeping prices low. On the other hand, anyone can compete with Wal-Mart on service, on location, and on targeting the needs of a local community.

Whether that is enough to succeed against Wal-Mart, not clear--some places it seems to be, other places not.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 220
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Walmart is, is a bunch of Mom and Pop stores grouped together with near perfect organization.

Everyone is trying to fight fire with fire right now. Your right in thinking of fighting fire with water. It's how much water you have, and your aim that's important.

Edit: If you think it's impossible then it is. The Davids of the world have been known to defeat many a Goliath throughout history.

But I'm sure I don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe It's all foolishness. Yeah, no one can defeat Walmart. Believe whatever you want.

(Message edited by Sean_Of_Detroit on May 02, 2008)

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 213
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure "defeating" Wal-Mart is really even the point. The point is to be able to survive and hopefully thrive with them as a competitor. Obviously this isn't impossible--there are lots of other retailers, some of which don't seem to be going out of business--but those retailers aren't trying to be a better Wal-Mart, but rather are trying to use some other hooks to grab customers.

I'm positive there are retail formats that would work in Detroit that don't currently exist in the city. I just don't know which ones they are.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 225
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Defeating might not have been the best choice of words, but as I said in another thread; "It's all strategy war games". So defeat was coming from that point of view. I think we could have better with the same (or extremely close) prices.

Defeating was the wrong word. How about Detroit could have something better, that could steal a ton of Walmart's market share? And that it could also defend it's share should it come to the Detroit market before Walmart? I also do not think that their is enough market share in Detroit for two Walmart type stores (especially if you toss in Meijer as a third) not far from each other. If Whatever-mart opened next door, one would be "defeated".

I am coming across as cocky. That really was not my intent. I just meant that we could have better in Detroit. I really believe we could. Your right, their is room in Detroit for a Walmart or Meijer. I feel I could make this into another long post and possibly explain why a Walmart would be bad for Detroit, but I'm trying to avoid those (Plus, this site isn't called WalmartYES!). If you really want a Walmart, that's great. I just think getting one would do more harm than good around here.

I'm not going to say I would have a real big problem with Walmart opening in Detroit. I'm just not going to say I want one either. Detroit can do better.

Why is there such a love of chains in Michigan?

(Message edited by Sean_Of_Detroit on May 03, 2008)

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's no secret among major retailers that opening a store in Detroit is a money-losing proposition. If they do, it's a matter of charity. The shoplifting is out of control. And if shoplifters are caught and punished, Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson will be coming to town. (No offense to the decent law-abiding citizens of Detroit. Just wanted to present the perspective from the "other side".) When stores can actually make money here, word will get out and they'll all start coming.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 4:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The information that Detroit would not be profitable is faulty. In theory it's a bad idea. In reality it's often profitable. Look at all the people that opened downtown and have been surprised that business was extremely better than their fore casted numbers showed. It's no miracle, let me tell you.

Opening in Detroit is a huge risk that can only truly be understood and navigated by someone with a deep understanding of the area and culture. Many things in Detroit are like this. You can blame it on the Nain Rouge (a good metaphor on Detroit's type of demon/problem). Since the info is flawed, to open in Detroit means no one can just develop a non-Detroit centric chain model and be successful. Plus, it's an even bigger risk because no one has done it before. It's not proven.

That is why I'm so concerned new business owners are going to get slaughtered. Many are opening for the first time, and don't know that they might be enough proof for the biggest chains to take notice and open across the street. They think they'll just cross that bridge if and when it comes. That is a problem that all to often must be thought about from the very beginning.

Just my thoughts. I really think many of our business and political leaders try to be that person for many of these outside companies. Kwame may have got this, of course that's irrelevant if no one will ever trust him again. He may no longer be the messenger of God that he thinks he is. I really don't know that though. The things we can convince ourselves of when we close our minds (get stuck on any one thing that we know must be right).

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, my man, we have to talk. Just between us...you're posts are getting stranger by the second. # 245 about becoming a multimillionaire and living not in a mansion or a tomb or no-where 'cus you are keeping real ...

Pretty disturding stuff. A little advice: just because you have a thought, doesn't mean everyone needs to read it. The one directly above is a case in point. I have read it six times. I even wrote it out on a piece of paper, thinking maybe it made sense.

It doesn't.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 259
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another long one just for you Gnome.

:::He's the only one who will get anything from this post. So, everyone else might can skip this one if they want. Also, sorry to DetroitYES for wasting bandwidth.:::

Many people think I'm crazy for being a Detroit supporter. I may just be totally out of my mind, your probably right. You know, I had to take psychological testing a couple times for some jobs I have done for the State of Michigan. They jokingly told me that I must be an extremely boring person. The lady doing one of the tests even said I have the most normal score that she has ever seen. Not sure what she meant by THAT? Maybe I am just a psycho who fooled the tests? LOL! Either way, doesn't it comfort you to know that your government thinks I'm perfectly sane?

First of all, I think at least a couple people here like my posts (thanks guys). If it's that annoying I will be more than happy to stop. My apologies. I know not everyone enjoys hearing what the crazies have to say, LOL. Maybe I'll only make posts one or two days a week. That way it wouldn't be so bad. I'm quickly getting tired of spelling everything out all the time anyways. If you have to read it all six times to get the point, I'm wasting my breath. I really appreciate all the comments lately guys. Does everyone here hate me that much? Sorry... I thought stating views was a big part of a public forum.

Something tells me you're referring to my Nain Rouge line too. I'm saying that that story can be used as a metaphor for my point. In that old urban legend it is said that you have to please her before you can be successful. Pleasing her would be to show that you care about this city and the people here. It's a metaphor, I don't actually think that it's real. Just making sure that was clear.

Now, that last post (I think) makes perfect sense. Here's some things to support my belief that Detroit is being overlooked because of things that one would have to learn to overcome.

The first is the view held by many that you must be here to be supported. When I worked at Agave, we had so many out sourced service people refuse to venture into the suburbs. In one repairman's case; It didn't matter that Detroit didn't have a store open on Sundays, he would rather lose the business than go and buy from the suburbs. This causes a hidden demand. How many have seen this consistently in this city, both in real life and on these boards?

The next thing is a report that was posted on this board done by (I think) the Detroit Economic Growth group that was put together not to long ago. In it it was realized that many outside retailers are looking at demographics for Detroit and the suburbs only. Windows is not looked at. So that is just one big dead empty space. In most cities it would be thousands of more potential customers. The pool is bigger than they think.

Further more, many in the suburbs want a destination city close by. This is evident to the suburbs who are trying to become that city in their mini downtowns. Many in the suburbs won't step foot in Detroit. The thing is plenty of suburbanites also have no problem venturing downtown to go to not only the big name events, but also the spas, hotels, and restaurants. I remember reading an article in Model D about how surprised Woodhouse Day Spa on Woodward was pleasantly surprised by the amount of people willing to come down from the suburbs for a day at the spa. I think many would do the same with shopping and other things.

To expand on that last one, Detroit is a destination city for many. The suburbs are still part of the metropolitan area that has many things (sports teams, performing arts theaters, many jobs, and most of it's nice architecture) still centered in Detroit. Therefore, Detroit has many visitors, workers, and tourists who do not live in city proper. All these people are often not figured in crime statistics, demographic predictions, insurance statistics, and other places.

Still expanding on that even further, Detroit insurance groups are over charging because of some of that faulty data. This causes many (it was mentioned on DetroitYES this past week that there is an insanely high number of people without any insurance) to carry non-Detroit addresses. That means it looks like there are even less people living in city proper.

Finally, the area is under served. It is especially under served when realizing there are more people here than previously thought. The lack of competition has huge effects. It means that businesses stand to make more money then they think. It also means that there is a strong possibility that the pros outweigh the cons. This can be seen in the results of current businesses. Some examples are the IHOP, Big Boy, and Wendy's on East Jefferson. Also, the Borders downtown, the restaurants in the Renaissance Center, and Zacharias in Midtown. I can go on if you want more. How about the McDonalds in Midtown, the bakery in Campus Martius, the new places on Lower Woodward, The Burger King and White Castle in Corktown, etc.

Many of those above mentioned chains are among the best sales of restaurants of the same names in the world. They are seeing that here in Detroit. Go look for yourself, the awards are on all their walls. That means that the sales are sometimes so high, that even with problems like crime and red tape, it is extremely profitable to open in Detroit. Buy a state of the art security system and some top lawyers and you still stand to make a nice profit.

Furthermore, the failures of some are hiding the opportunities even more. Many entrepreneurs are attracted to Detroit because they think it's a easy home run. Even if it was, there is more to it than that. Mistakes like poor planning, not enough start-up capital, poor service, lack of insight into future competition, lack of street smarts, and other typical problems are being made by these many newer entrepreneurs.

Honestly, do I have to continue spelling it out? I have many more.

The Kwame comments was based on his own claims of believing that he is doing God's work, and that he is irreplaceable. His delusion of being Detroit's savior is extremely bizarre. How one of these people got into power is very disturbing.

As to my comment in that other topic; I was trying to complement the poster for thinking about savings and investing the way he was. I guess I made a mistake there and went off topic. Said a little to much that time. Sorry, my mistake. Thank you for deciding it was your responsibility to speak up for all DetroitYES posters. It truly takes a saint to be able to pass judgment on how crazy my thoughts are. I guess I don't get when I'm not wanted. I'll retreat back where I came from Gnome. Sorry for saying my opinions and thoughts. The last place anyone should post their views is a public message board/forum. I don't know what I was thinking.

Thanks for the tip! I'll back off. Of course, I'd have less than half the posts if I wasn't constantly being called out to brake it down for people all the time. I could just jump the routine and explain it from the beginning. That's kind of why that other post in the money topic was so out of place. I'm getting used to having to explain myself. I guess not going through the routine makes me look crazy. I also see many of these things as common sense. Are my points that hard to see? I really was hoping everyone was smart enough to get it.

Guess I made some false assumptions. Am I making sense at all with any of this? Nothing still coming in? Guess I expected to much? LOL, yeah I'm just crazy. Sorry, I'll back it up and slow down a little bit. I work from home, so I've been on here a lot. I know, I've been treating this as my water cooler I suppose. Especially in the Non-Detroit section. No one else needs to say it. I'll stop. We are only supposed to be posting facts and such on here, not opinions, right?

Good grief! That type of comment is the whole reason I feel obligated to make such long posts. Why bother, I have work to do anyway.

...or hey, you could just tell me what's wrong with the content of my posts. What a concept, public discussion on a public discussion board. No that's horrible. Forget that I'm a local business owner who may eventually have some pretty kewl info and updates to report. Forget trying to make new friends and talk about different points of view. I'll just forget about contributing to this art project. What was I thinking? You do know that kind of stuff is fuel for people like me though, don't you? I post my views and conclusions, and how I reached them. I'm not saying that you have to agree with them. In fact, that was the point. I want them to get shot down if they're wrong. Tell me why or ignore them!

No hard feelings, I get the point. Did you even make it through this one? If we talked in real life would you be one of those people who ends up starring off in the corner? Must have lost my mind, is it over in that corner? Is that why?

Good grief! I should have stayed a lurker!

Edit: You're probably a really nice person, but I took that post the same way I would take someone who is trying to be a real jerk. I'm not name calling, that's just what it looked like from down here. I do think I'm staying within the ten post max. I also think I've been adding to the conversations here, at least a little.

(Message edited by Sean_Of_Detroit on May 05, 2008)

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, my spell check changed Windsor to windows in the paragraph that starts out with the words "the next thing is a report". My mistake.

(Message edited by Sean_Of_Detroit on May 05, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.