Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Campus Martius a real person! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 182
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overheard at Pasquale's last night: During a discussion of the Dream Cruise, it was pointed out that Campus Martius was a real person. The speaker was unsure, however, wether Mr. Martius actually designed cars, or what.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't find a single reference to anyone named "Campus Martius," but I did learn

A.Campus Martius (Latin for the "Field of Mars" where Roman heroes walked, Italian Campo Marzio), was a publicly owned area of ancient Rome about 2 km (600 acres) in extent. In the Middle Ages it was the most populated area of Rome. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C ampus_Martius)

AND

B.Campus Martius was a civilian fortification built between 1788 and 1791 in order to protect Marietta, the first organized American settlement in the Northwest Territory of the United States (http://www.artcom.com/Museums/ nv/af/45750-21.htm)

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 491
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's crazy talk. Someone was pulling your leg or misinformed.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2197
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A perfect application of IDKFTIKPOOOA

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew Mr. Martius, he was a great Detroit leader and legend. Unfortunatly his love of wine and women was his downfall. He was once quoted as saying, "My only crime is loving well, not loving wise"

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12508
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oliverdouglas,

I'm hoping you could finally get that wad of spaghetti out of your sinus cavity after snort laughing in their face.

Shame you couldn't have simply slapped them for their ignorance...sometimes we might just be TOO polite in society.

heh

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campus Martius was a place originally outside of Rome. The purpose for the "field of Mars" was that no one was allowed to enter the city with arms, so the big field outside of Rome became the place where the army would take up arms to begin a campaign and lay them down at the end of it. Early Rome would not even allow a temple to the god of war in the city. It was located outside the "pomerium." Elections were also held in the Campus Martius as some of the early voting assemblies were originally organized by your military "century." As Rome grew, it encompassed the field. It's interesting that the plan of Detroit had it's Campus Martius as the focal point. The Romans would have been appalled at the thought. Finally I get to show off my WSU classics degree on this board!

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2666
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hahahahahaha !

"Which one is Pink" ?

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 388
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The martius family lived around the block from us on the NW side. Campus and his brother Circus were always getting in fights.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 374
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who told you that, Mr. Haney?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2199
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Halt at once!

This is their cousin Marvin...........

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2184
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they confused Joseph Campau and Campo Marzio?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6233
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is actually true. Not many people realize it.

Other little-known Detroiters who have places or landmarks named after them include:

Tricen Tennial
Frank Ambassador
Jennifer "Big Beaver" Warner

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6674
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman, where's Marvin's "Ilodium Pew Model 37 Space Modulator"?

Interestingly enough... Campus Martius was indeed originally just a field in ancient Rome. There are 2 other famous fields in Europe... Campus Stella (Field of Stars) in ancient Spain, which later became Santiago de Compostella... where the bones of St. James the Greater (one of Jesus's 12 Apostles) were "supposedly" found in dark ages, and became one of the great pilgrimage sites of medieval Europe.

And then there's the Theresienwiesen (Theresa's Field) just outside of medieval Munich, where millions of pilgrims come every year to partake of that magical brew... beer at Oktoberfest!

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 715
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread has started me thinking. If I change my name from Neilr to Campus Martius in time to run in the next City Council election, I could be sitting right up there in one of those comfy chairs right next to Monica Conyers and Martha Reeves. :-)

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 617
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neil, I think thats an excellent idea,,,,you have my vote for sure,,, just dont wear any crazy birthday gear on your bday

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I didnt know that was Jenny Warner's nickname.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit had its own bona fide Campus Martius. It was a common name for drilling fields for troops in any city. I know we had one, and I'm pretty sure it was the British who started it. Look at an old, old map and you'll find it.
People say a lot of things. Unless they have their Ph.D., it's probably best not to take their trivia at face value.

Cdwaters

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deteamster, if I agree with you I would have to completely ignore your post. ;)

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dteamster is correct. The Champ de Mars in Paris is the same name as Campus Martius in the Paris of the Midwest.

Gistok

Post Number: 6682
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point J_to_the_jeremy... and then they also have their Elisian Fields... or Champs Elysees. (Too tired to look up the Accent Aigu's)... but correctly pronounced "Shawns Ay-Lee-Zay"

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure you would! But how do you know I'm not Distinguished Professor Deteamster?
Besides, don't take my word for it by any means...head to the library and check it out.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5936
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of pronunciation, it's funny to see some pretentious people try to correctly pronounce "Campus Martius" thinking they've got a one up on the peasants when the correct way to say it is pretty much how it looks since it's Latin.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2238
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, where did you get the idea that the French pronounce that "m" as an "n"? Ce n'est vrai.

Gistok

Post Number: 6698
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Paris twice (once before 2 years of French in college, once after). It was how my professor pronounced it. I've never seen the people in Paris put their lips together to get an "M" sound...(I was looking because I too was skeptical). They pronounce it more like a VERY subtle "N" sound. Another even weirder example is the old coronation city in France... "Rheims"... no "M" sound there either.

Lmichigan... there's actually 2 ways of saying it in Latin... there's church Latin (Campus Mar-tee-us) and classic Latin (Campus Mar-shuss).

(Message edited by Gistok on April 23, 2008)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5940
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the m and n don't get pronounced at the end of words, but I've never heard an n pronounced as an m at the beginning of a word.

I was almost certain that the only proper pronunciation of "tius" is two syllables in any kind of Latin. BTW, isn't the "u" pronounced "oo" so that it would be Cahm-poos?

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Campoos Marshoos!

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 679
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So there is a guy named Campus Martius...

...and my real name is Ms. Livernois Rencen Jefferson. Oh, and my maiden name is Faygo ;)

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 496
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Overheard at Pasquale's last night..."

Wasn't this the tip-off that what would follow would be fact-free?

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2782
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This thread has started me thinking. If I change my name from Neilr to Campus Martius in time to run in the next City Council election...

The only problem is that, for 7 years after you change your name, it would appear as "Campus Martius (formerly known as Neilr)".

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He should really try "Reverend Campus Martius"

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 716
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He should really try "Reverend Campus Martius"

Thanks for the suggestion. Praise the Lord!

quote:

for 7 years after you change your name, it would appear as "Campus Martius (formerly known as Neilr)"

I'll expect that no one bothers to read further after seeing "Reverend Campus Martius."

Cdwaters

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan,
You are correct, classical Latin pronounces every syllable and the "T" is always hard. The "u" sound is pronounced somewhat like an "oo." The "C" is always hard as well, so Cicero was pronounced "Kee ker oh." Latin (esp. classical)is not considered a spoken language. We may read texts out loud but there is not a conversational element to classwork as in modern spoken languages except in a few intensive summer courses at U of Ky. There is debate as to how words were accented, though they are fairly certain of the pronunciation of letters and diphthongs.
On a side note, Classical Greek is the same way. There is fierce debate between scholars and Modern Greek speakers because many Modern Greeks want to pronounce Ancient Greek like todays Greek. There is a lot of proof that shows it wasn't, they just can't be sure how it actually pronounced. I have been to a lecture where shouting matches have occurred over this topic.

I guess this is a bit off topic, but I defer to most of you on so many Detroit issues, I like to impart a little bit of my expertise as well. Hope some of you are interested.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5942
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, cdwaters.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cdwaters, thanx... kamPuss MarT shuss? or kamPuss MaR shush?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5945
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 5:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither. Cahm-pus Mar-Tee-us. Long "a" in the Campus, three syllables in Martius with a hard "t"

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

marty us? you expect us to talk about going to kahmpus MartyUs?

Marty US? jeeze. Then how did this MarShuss thing start and who's to blame? Archer?

bastard.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5946
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 6:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like just about any word that crosses over into a foreign language, we pronounce it according to our languages' own rules. Heck, we don't even say the city's name 'correctly.'

(Message edited by lmichigan on April 24, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.