Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 32 people shot in Chicago this weekend. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3023
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although, this is not explicitly a Detroit issue, it's worth discussing here in light of the perception that Detroit is such a dangerous place compared to Chicago and other cities.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/sto ry?section=news/local&id=60918 49

Pdombr
Username: Pdombr

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Iheartthed, Detroit gets such a bad rap from the media. Crime and violence are not just things that happen in the D. It is everywhere. It is just not publicized.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 760
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's going to be a hot summer in urban areas as the economic situation continues to sour or be bad.

There is a lot of folks "on the edge" that the downturn is going to knock off that edge, and when folks have no job or hope, violence goes up.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 418
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Second that!

OMG that is so unlike Chicago!

"Its not even summer!"

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well at least they're trying to eliminate this problem, unlike Detroit (read the last 4 paragraphs).

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 5014
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Detroit is hunky dory because there is also violence in Chicago? OK, sure.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 603
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So Detroit is hunky dory because there is also violence in Chicago?

Where did anyone say that?

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pdombr: Do you really think it is the media that is responsible for the perception that Detroit has a crime problem? Or might Detroit really have a crime problem? Statistically, Detroit has one of the nation's worst crime problems, and has had a crime problem for about 40 years. When you think about it, you can accuse the media of not doing a good job of covering Detroit's crime problem. There were about 400 people killed in Detroit last year and another 1,500 shot. How many of those incidents made the news? Relatively very few. The Free Press and News haven't even had fulltime Detroit police reporters for a year or more. What are two of the most publicized crimes in the metro area in the past 16 months (besides the accusations against Kilpatrick)? The two beheadings in the suburbs.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5928
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few extra murders over the weekend in Chicago or the so-called current lack of water in Atlanta won't cause even one additional job to be created in Detroit over that same time interval.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4768
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Full Moon.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bad news does not make good news

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4111
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago has spurts like this that don't get mentioned beyond their local press. A year or two ago, IIRC, it was eight murders within a 24 hour period.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2284
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many got shot here I wonder?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

31 people shot in Chicago is more like 10 people shot in Detroit.

Pdombr

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack, I think the media only reports the bad that happens in Detroit. I do not blame them for a lack of police, decline in jobs, anger issues, drugs or any of the other reasons people shot, rob, rape, ect.
The fault does not lay with the media, we as a society have to learn ways of handling confrontation better.
Sure there are days that I would love to reach out and touch someone with the back of my hand, but it will only escalate the situation.

Pdombr

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the moon is full.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pdombr: I respect your opinion, but I'm going to read the two papers closely this week, and maybe even watch some TV news. I want to count the good things (if any) they report on Detroit. I'll report back to you next Sunday. Deal?

I've got my own problems with the local media, but I think they get a bad rap on how much "positive" news they disseminate.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The media reports the news, violence sells, but their not responsible for what happens here in the D. Yes I wish I could see more "Good News" on 2, 4 or 7, but the fact is they all want top ratings and ppl tend to watch the channels that disturb us most. Sponsors follow the ratings. Did you hear, Art Van is having a sale.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12501
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watch as Chicago becomes the poster-city for how NOT to quell urban violence. Their police will over-react...and always remember they've got one of the stiffest gun-control laws in the country. (so they will simultaneously prove that those do not work against what they are supposedly designed to control, but a whole bunch of law-followers will be defenseless)

When the police over-react, and the true underlying problem is NOT rectified...the pressure on those prone to violence will greatly increase. That Air Force general just might have his crowds to test his EM weapon upon soon.

Where is our Martin Luther King or Gandhi in this age?! We're going to need a true leader in every one of these areas lest they ignite again.

(and don't tell me Chicago didn't heat up with all of the other major metro areas in the sixties, the boiling point was diffused by the hope and horror of the Democratic convention held there in 1968...causing the oppressed citizenry's anger to simmer over decades making it one of the 'hottest' segregated towns in the nation today)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7301
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's gang related! Turf, Drugs, Guns, it's the regular Chicago norm since the Old Capone days.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3024
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(so they will simultaneously prove that those do not work against what they are supposedly designed to control, but a whole bunch of law-followers will be defenseless)

I like NYC's method of suing these gun shop owners in states with lax laws...

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12509
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another lame idea who's time has gone.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've been more scared in chicago than in the D. honest injun.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3025
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, it appears that Macomb County is also in the practice of going after the sellers.

Seller of Murder Weapon Is Charged in Officer's Death

I think it's a great idea. Stop a leaky faucet at the source.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6231
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Chicago Police blame a rash of shootings on too many guns and the gangs that use the weapons illegally.

Hot damn, Scotland Yard's got NOTHING on these boys.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 393
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of it is gang related, however I believe 13 of the victims (and I use that term loosely) were students, who were out past curfew.

Skip the outcry...any ideas or clues where the parents are?

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there really a big gang problem in Detroit. It doesn't seem as bad as Chicago?

I once did some volunteer work with members of the Gangster Disciples in Chicago. What amazed me was the banality of it all. They seemed like just ordinary kids, albeit poor. Every kid they knew was in the gang. It was like the boy scouts. I would never have even thought these guys were "gang bangers."

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2292
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outside of the southwest side there isn't much gang activity in the city. Its not a black folk thing for the most part, crews yeah, but outright gangs is more a hispanic thing.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, thanks for the NRA talking points. Of course gun control laws in Chicago and DC cannot stop crime if you can get the gun in another jurisdiction and drive/ship it over! Also, what's wrong with going after unscrupulous gun dealers? Straw purchases and purchasing guns for a felon are illegal. NYC has video evidence of these laws being broken, so why shouldn't these dirtbags face prosecution?

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just worked on a project in Chicago for three weeks. There have been 20 shootings in Chicago High Schools this year, as of April 4. Daly makes sure no one else knows.

They have a police force of 13,000, most of whom are busy writing tickets for not having residential parking permits (assholes).

Philbert
Username: Philbert

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Know one knows? Its in the headline news everyday here, day after day.

Well when half of metro detroit goes to chicago every weekend for their drunkfest and harassment, parking is scarce enough as it is. Walk down any side streets and look at all the Michigan plates. The parts of Chicago visitors frequent are very compact and packed and parking is scarce. Parking is for the residents of their neighborhoods first. Don't like it don't come here. It really is as simple as that. But alas each weekend the migration from Michigan continues. I don't understand, I witness multiple bad attitudes from our visitors and all I hear is you people bitch about Chicago and YET you still come here in droves, like an invasion.

Everyone goes on about NY's get the small offense and quality of life issues but make sure its not my small offense.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4132
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago violence continues

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Its not a black folk thing for the most part, crews yeah, but outright gangs is more a hispanic thing.

Well, sort of. But don't tell that to the Vice Lords, the Black Gangster Disciples, P. Stones, and of course, the Bloods and Crips.

And speaking of racial turmoil in Chicago, you don't hear much about it, but large areas of the West Side burned to the ground in race riots in the 60s. This is where Boss Daley's proclamation of "shoot to kill [arsonists]" ... and "shoot to maim [looters]" came from. For the most part, the Lawndale neighborhood has never recovered.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 581
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago is bigger that Detroit. You want homicide? Try the L.A. Times "murder" site Unbelievable.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.