Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Urban Art « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pass by this painting quite often, and wanted to share it. It is nailed to a post in a vacant lot near the Heidelberg project, but I don't know if it is a part of it. Its on Mt.Elliott near Vernor. I absolutely love it!
shoe painting

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd bet that this is definitely painted by Tyree Guyton and is a part of the Heidelberg Project, since Mt. Elliot/Vernor is so very close...
God seems to be an important theme throughout the Heidelberg Project, for example...

(Message edited by alley on April 16, 2008)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7592
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that shoe+God piece! That's great!

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 490
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a house just south of Heidelberg that had a bunch of shoe art on it. That house was torn down recently and that shoe are apparently was distributed around the area.

Leoqueen

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the reason I am so drawn to the GOD SHOE is because it is so visually simple, concise. Smogboy, I thought you would like it! There are so many other visually compelling instances of Urban Sculpture and Painting around; I believe there is a book by David Clements that catalogs it. Another few sculptures I like are the BIG STEER HEAD on Mack, and the white plaster BOY WITH TIRE on top of a bump shop on McGraw and Wyoming. I'm sorry I don't have pics, but I'm sure most Forumers are familiar with them as they have been around for a lonnnnng time as advertising.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is cool Art all over the city, one of my favorites in Mexicantown-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/j ustbeamensch/2346832801/sizes/ m/

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has more than its' share of artistic talent. A lot of positive things can come of that.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2040
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are a couple nice works in north corktown, one of these days i'll snaps some pics driving through

quote:

Detroit has more than its' share of artistic talent. A lot of positive things can come of that.

indeed it does, and a lot of it will be on display the second weekend in may during art detroit now

www.artdetroitnow.com

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is awesome!

There is a painting on The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit that is the most amazing painting I have ever seen. It is at night, and it is of a church with a fence around it; in the background is a troubled housing project, all lit up.

With so much talent concentrated in the Detroit area, and the fact that these talents are coming together, Detroit's about to get a lot of positive press (for a change!) and a big boost!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what happened to the fish sculpture on Vernor before Mexicantown? I'm assuming it was moved due to construction going on in the area, but I've also heard that it just disappeared and it's whereabouts are unknown (even to artist Vito Valdez)

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 410
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Look at that huge carp.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that when construction started, the fish disappeared. When Vito asked some people working on the site what happened to it they said they saw it being taken away on a flatbed. When Vito inquired about where it was he was told that it was "destroyed." He said he may be commissioned to remake it soon. I hope so!

Leoqueen

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope so too....Vito is an incredibly talented artist!

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 506
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love good public art. I hope the turquois fish returns. Keep it up Vito.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GREAT THREAD! KEEP IT UP! POST MORE ART HERE!

Leoqueen

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cow head on mack
I have been looking at this wonderful thing for years! Is it art, or is it a sign? Doesn't matter!

Bobceng
Username: Bobceng

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a lotta Bull...by the way, do cows have horns? If not, didn't the artist realise that you can't milk a bull? Could it be a trans-sexual bovine?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 184
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leoqueen, is that the steers head your speakin of in the pic above? Theres a simple moose looking tree on mack just west o Mt elliot. Someone put some eyeballs on it. Not really a sculpture but its kinda cool.
Im gonna try and get some pics today to post here. Great thread Lqueen

Bobceng
Username: Bobceng

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leoqueen: I believe that this place used to be called the "Dairy Cow". I first remember seeing it in 1973. I don't know if it still opens in the Summer, but it is basically a DQ-type operation. Funny how this is first time I ever noticed that the cow had horns!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.