Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Purple Gang « Previous Next »
Archive through April 17, 2008Eastsidedame30 04-17-08  4:17 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the story about how Capone never made inroads into Detroit.

He sent 2 scouts/messengers to meet with the Purples to talk about a joint business venture (more likely to feel them out for a takeover) and they were invited to a place to meet. They walked in, then up the stairs and then adios. No discussion, just bullets.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Lodge:
I checked the aerial photos at
http://tools.comm.wayne.edu/me dia/low_res/aerial_photos/inde x.htm

and clicked on the 1946 oakland county 600dpi pics

http://techtools.culma.wayne.e du/media/oakland/1949/ha-23-52 .pdf

It shows a network of canals behind what is now Mama Mia's on Cooley Lake. So maybe there is some truth behind what you heard. Now, I know that the Purple Gang had been disbanded by 1946, but that doesn't mean remnants of their activities didn't survive.

As a side note, or completely unfounded rumor/legend. Mickey Cockran had a place on either Carey or Boogie Lake. Mickey was known to rub elbows with the underworld mainly due to his drinking and gambling. However, I have no direct evidence about Cockran and the Purple Gang. I stumbled on the Cockren story while researching family geneology... again, no proof.

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I wonder if that former airport (long gone)by 13/Orchard Lake was for Purple Gang?
In 70's Max Fleischer turned the airplane hanger building into a Bump Shop w/ upstairs apartment.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6165
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting Gnome and Yaktown. As I said, it's just rumor. But Gnome's finds definitely show it as a possibility.

The area back there is wetlands now, but you can see there is a fully connected series of waterways and canals there at, least as far back as 1946.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 335
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, love that aerial circa 1946! I've always wondered how Venice of the Woods got its name, I guess that seals it. Interesting to see all the change.

Back on topic...has anyone ever done a tour of the Gang's old haunts?

Gnome

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is Venice in the Woods? never heard of it ...

Purple Gang haunts, does Collingwood Ave count?

(Message edited by gnome on April 17, 2008)

Mr_onion
Username: Mr_onion

Post Number: 231
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gilgon,, check out Lupton Michigan,, their was an old Dance hall their called the Lupton Ballroom,, the purple Gang used to hang out their when they were Hot,, had to go on "ICE" and hideout.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Klingon: This is the name of a book which may provide info for you. "The Purple Gang, Organized Crime in Detroit, 1910-1945". It was written by Paul R. Kavieff, ISBN 1-56980-147-9. It was purchased through Edward R. Hamilton Bookseller. I hope this helps.

Stinger

Gnome

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

please, stop, and just go away.

If REL had made a comment about the Purple Gang that was inaccurate, please provide a citation as to your conflicting information.

If it's just a reaction to being embarrassed, please quit embarrassing yourself any further.

Gnome

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But you are embarrassing me. Please, I am begging you, please stop posting inanities. This thread is about the Purple Gang.

Not Rel, not you, not Kwame, not anything other than Purple gang. Stop.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doug, did you say you were in T.C., drinking? Whatcha' drinkin' buddy?

Detroitwhat
Username: Detroitwhat

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard they put money under your bed at night when you lose a tooth.

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do any of you remember the "Myrtle Street Gang " ?

Detroitdecor27
Username: Detroitdecor27

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know my grandma's friend wrote a book about the purple gang her husband was member of the gang. Of course I can't remember her friends name or the name of the book but I know my grandma has a copy of it some where. I do remember that the cover was purple with flowers on it and the writing was in script. But I guess my comment isn't really much help.... =( Does anyone remember the Grosse Pointe Cat Burglar? Apparently he stay at my grandparents house for a couple nights while hiding out from the cops! My grandparents had interesting and questionable friends! lol =)

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 671
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know there was a movie, unless I missed this in a previous post. From the New York Times review:

http://movies.nytimes.com/movi e/106900/The-Purple-Gang/overv iew

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2830
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upcoming Author Event:

Featured Author: Scott Burnstein, Motor City Mafia: A Century of Organized Crime in Detroit, Wednesday, May 14, 6pm. This book chronicles the storied and hallowed gangland history of the notorious Detroit underworld. Through a stunning array of rare archival photographs and images, Motor City Mafia captures Detroit's most infamous past, from its inception in the early part of the 20th century, through the years when the iconic Purple Gang ruled the city's streets during Prohibition, through the 1930s and the formation of the local Italian mafia, and the Detroit crime family's glory days in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, all the way to the downfall of the area's mob reign in the 1980s and 1990s. This talk takes place at the Detroit Historical Museum. Free for Detroit Historical Society members; $10 for nonmembers. Advance RSVP requested; call 313-833-1801. http://www.detroithistorical.o rg/thingstodo/index.asp?ID=21

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6220
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, "Venice of the Woods" is the name of a subdivision right in that area. The name didn't mean anything to me all these years, until you posted that aerial. I'm not sure when the houses were built, or whether the canals were still there or not.

http://maps.google.com/maps?cl ient=safari&rls=en&ie=UTF-8&oe =UTF-8&um=1&q=venice+of+the+wo ods&near=White+Lake%2C+MI&fb=1 &cid=0%2C0%2C91604310023213816 72&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum =1&ct=image

Pan a little Southwest from this map, you'll see the roads Venice and Volga.

Mastermsu
Username: Mastermsu

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.geocities.com/jiggs 2000_us/purple-gallery.html

email me with any questions regarding certain members

Gnome

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL-

Ah, I see it now, I checked the 1956 map and the canals behind Mama Mia's are still there, and while a road has been cut that resembles 'Venice' there does not appear to be neighborhood there.

You might not know this, but gravel mining used to be a pretty big business in Commerce and Milford. I had an old uncle that was killed in a cave-in in what would eventually become Sherwood Lake. I think the year was 1923 or so. My Grandfather told stories about mining gravel and hauling it out - by mule - to build the GM Test Track.

1956 aerial photo:
http://techtools.culma.wayne.e du/media/oakland/1956/ga-7-53. pdf

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 729
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mastermsu what is youre e-mail address?

Mastermsu
Username: Mastermsu

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

msubleda13@aol.com

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 693
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is going on with the Tocco family these days? Are the books still closed?

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 443
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just ran across this info:

"During the Prohibition Era, the old farmhouse became a hangout for "rumrunners" when it served as a speak easy and a brothel for Detroit's notorious Purple Gang."

The Stone House Bar

http://profile.myspace.com/ind ex.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewpro file&friendID=317462949

Klingon
Username: Klingon

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is some great stuff ...does anyone know if the collingwood apartment building is still there?

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometime after the 40's the Stone House was purchased by a family friend Mr. Constas. When he died his Daughter Mary and her Husband, who was Detroit police officer. ran it for several years.

Gnome

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1740 Collingwood Ave. I think it was torn down 10 or 15 years ago.

Between Woodrow Wilson and 12th Street. One Way east bound. From Downtown take the Lodge, exit at Hamilton and head north 3 or 4 blocks to Calvert, turn L, head W cross back over the Lodge to 12th St, turn R or N one short block to Collingwood. turn R or E.

Not real easy getting out of there due to the one ways.

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav,

A friend of mine once told me about how his grandfather had secretly treated members of the Purple Gang. His last name was Kaminski. Seeing that photo of Abe Kaminski makes me wonder if that was him or maybe a relative. Would you (or anyone else) know anything about it?

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My girlfriends grand father was a part of the Purple Gang. Is there any mafia activity going on now in the area? if so who's runnin the show then?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 246
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good to hear mention of the Myrtle St gang, i guess my dad wasnt lying when he said " things were tough when i was a kid. you had the purples and the myrtle st gang."

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Google Keywell, I was was amazed at the interesting links provided. Two Keywells were part of the Purple Gang.

Klingon
Username: Klingon

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info ..anyone have any background or gangster pictures of the gang?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2840
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminder:
Featured Author: Scott Burnstein, Motor City Mafia: A Century of Organized Crime in Detroit, Wednesday, May 14, 6pm. This book chronicles the storied and hallowed gangland history of the notorious Detroit underworld. Through a stunning array of rare archival photographs and images, Motor City Mafia captures Detroit's most infamous past, from its inception in the early part of the 20th century, through the years when the iconic Purple Gang ruled the city's streets during Prohibition, through the 1930s and the formation of the local Italian mafia, and the Detroit crime family's glory days in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, all the way to the downfall of the area's mob reign in the 1980s and 1990s. This talk takes place at the Detroit Historical Museum. Free for Detroit Historical Society members; $10 for nonmembers. Advance RSVP requested; call 313-833-1801. http://www.detroithistorical.o rg/thingstodo/index.asp?ID=21

Kathleen

Post Number: 2841
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also saw these articles about the documentary "Murder City", which "traces the history of crime in Detroit from the Prohibition-era Purple Gang to more recent drug- and gang-fueled activity":

Moviemaker makes a statement about crime in Detroit
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080511/ENT01/8 05110537/1036

Gritty documentary about Detroit's murderous past
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080511/ENT 04/805110538/1118/rss

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.