Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 101.1 WRIF is Drew Coming Back Enough Already « Previous Next »
Archive through April 20, 2008Orange_barrel30 04-20-08  9:43 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2663
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hey Jerrytimes, 97.1 is a SPORTS STATION"

Yeah, but it just switched from full talk radio to sports a month or two ago. TOOOOO MUCH SPORTS EVERYWHERE ALREADY !

I agree.

Im still standing by the Mike/Mike/Mark show. Its good, theyre funny.

I like the "what songs can Mike Clark remember from the 1980's" too, thats hilarious. He cant remember any of that decade. Hahaha !

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 132
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Scooter. You must have never listened to 97.1 before the switch happened. It was talk radio all day and they had tons of different shows, D&D, Motor city Middays, Howard Stern used to be there too.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

orange barrel
I agree, I guess at 40 I havnt grown up enough to listen to npr all day, sometimes I need a little humor. And Im pulling for Drews wife.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2664
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

npr is too right wing for me. heh.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 703
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shoot I didn't even listen to terrestial radio anymore. I picked up a sirius receiver for my car. I don't think I would ever want to go back.

I just hate how now that clear channel and all the other agencies and the FCC have come down on alot of on air radio personalities.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 516
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080422/ENT 03/80422059

See ya.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2674
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope the Mike-Mike and Mark show prevails, those guys got the show rolling again and I think they will go on just fine minus Drew.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 287
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wonder if Drew will show up elsewhere. His non compete must be nearly done.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 307
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rough day for the WRIF. Farewell and good luck Drew. R.I.P. Bob

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080423/ENT10 /804230388/1404/ENT10

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 425
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What will the shows name be now? "The Marc and Mikes Show"?

Chandyside
Username: Chandyside

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO (and I know I'll get a lot of disagreement), Lane was the heart and soul of that show. they're just a couple meatheads and a second stringer now filling up morning airtime. Nothing worth making time for. The story that Lane's putting out there is particularly sad as it seems like, ultimately, the WRIF morning show will fizzle out as another example of mediocre morning content that people won't go out of their way to check out. Again, I may be in the minority here. As a longtime listener, I feel bummed out by the way it all went down and will probably continue my recent habit of checking in but not actively tuning in. I'm especially bummed about one aspect: That they were able to beat off (as it were) Stern while he was in town. Local content (not just local mooks reading from tmz.com and crap) was once such an important part of why I listened to radio and there are fewer and fewer ways to find it these days. sigh.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6621
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be honest I found that D&M were getting stale. Since Drew left, the addition of Mark and Mike have given the show new energy, and I find myself listening again more often that I had in a while.

Those guys need to keep up the good work. Besides of the two, Mike Clark is the local guy, I'm glad he's the one that stayed.

Time now to officially rename the show, and drop Drew's name from it.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The WRIF website already has changed everything to "Morning Show" and dropped all pictures and references to ummm whatshisname.

Raptor56

Post Number: 308
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chandyside: I'll agree with you 100% from the early 90's through about 5 years ago. For reasons on be knownst to me, it seems like Lane went from happy, good natured radio jock with generally insightful commentary on local events, to bitter and borderline whiney bratt. Maybe it's because he's getting older. Perhaps it has to do with the stress of Tess' cancer. Who knows, but the constant ranting was starting to get on my nerves, and actually led me over to Howard Stern on Satellite a couple times a week. When Drew first left on sabbatical, the show became a little more light hearted, and even brought back some of their older bits, which made the show more enjoyable. Since then however, I will agree with a growing number of the audience, the show content is getting a little to superficial, and enough already with all the reality show/Lost recaps!

I am kind of bummed by how the whole thing finally ended. With so much history over the past 15 years in Detroit radio, you would think Drew would get a more official send off. I was even more surprised that none of the radio crew (especially Mike Clark) had really talked to Drew all that much over the past 7 months (allegedly). I find it hard to believe he would quit without letting Mike know about it first. I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps Drew's contract was up for renewal, and due to circumstances, the station chose not to renew it? Either way, bummer day for the WRIF and Detroit radio. Hopefully soon we will find out more or less what really happened.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080423/ENT 03/80423038

Raptor56

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RJK: Interesting..... I'm assuming the show format would be different. Afternoon drive is more of a music than a talk radio crowd I would think. Plus Author P has been in that time slot since slightly before the dawn of radio. I can't imagine him being booted from that time slot. On a side note, don't be surprised if that "other radio" station guest appearance is on 95.5. Apparently Drew and Mojo are buddies. according to a coworker the wrif shakeup was big news on 955 this morning.

nice to see the story finally has 2 sides.

(Message edited by raptor56 on April 23, 2008)

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 620
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Morning drive is more of a music than a talk radio crowd I would think

If that were the case, you'd hear more music before 9am versus after; in fact, the opposite is true.

Raptor56

Post Number: 311
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOPS. I meant Afternoon Drive. my bad

Django

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gotta side with AIW. Ive actually been listening to the show mow now. God bless ya Drew, you were the anchor. Ill bet its gonna work out for everyone in the end. Always thought of them as two good friends Kinda sucks to see them hafta go through this. Ratings are gonna be up due to the fight, could it all be more of their schinanaginns, doesnt feel like it.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6295
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

With new methods for counting listeners on the horizon...

What's this about? It's from Rjk's article.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ http://online.wsj.com/public/a rticle/SB118903798218018792.ht ml?mod=dist_smartbrief

Django

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that too. Maybe a new system being put in place to figure out stations ratings.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5187
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Some groups aren't tracking well under the People Meter, particularly younger people, who often forget to carry it.

Why don't they just design the device into the radio itself? Privacy? How does this People Meter work?

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Arthur P, does anybody remember when it was WXYZ-FM, an underground rock type station. Back then Arthur P was really cool, got to play what he wanted, none of the hype or BABAAAY stuff. He'd even throw in some Miles Davis. What happened to the FM band, it was created to be an alternative to AM.

Jcole

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved Arthur P. back in the early 70's. I remember calling the request line, and he would answer and talk to you. Wasn't he on WABX back then, or am I thinking of someone else?

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 814
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Dave and Chuck the Freak (and Lisa) on my morning drive. The one thing thing that makes my commute in the morning to the hellside of town, Novi somewhat bearable. They actually make me lough a lot - no respect for politically correct.

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 522
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is only for those of you who actually like or liked Drew & Mike

http://yupislyr.com/drewmike/m ultimedia.html

What a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTCCCCC CCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Jerrytimes

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish Drew would have at least came back on the air for one last day to say bye or something. People in Detroit have been tuning in to hear Drew and Mike since the early 90's, he could at least say thanks and SeeYA!!

Django

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIGHT ON, He totally should, we as listeners deserve at least that. Bury the F***** hatchet and get on with it. I dont want to hear about the BS. I want to know their still friends, and they should be after 16 yrs. Maybe they are just overgrown kids. (unless I was right earlier on, but feel it is very unlikely {see my shenanagins above}) <sp, I dont own a dictionary biiittttccch

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 523
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's tough to say goodbye to" Drew.

Jerrytimes

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today Mike said that Drew was trying to call in yesterday, and apparently is going to call in tomorrow sometime. I don't know why this is bumming me out so much. First, D&D leave, then Drew.....

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

National Radio/Media conglomerate's could care less about local on air celebs. When they always pull in out of town hired guns for management and programming positions, whats to be expected?

Mauser765

Post Number: 2678
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"To be honest I found that D&M were getting stale.
....Besides of the two, Mike Clark is the local guy, I'm glad he's the one that stayed. "

Agreed - Mike Clark is an alum of Shrine of the Little Flower and also the Rochester Public Schools. Mark and Mike are both from Farmington Public Schools - and Trudi is a Farmington Hills resident with kids in the school system.

Drew was cool, but he moved on. The show has a new life, and is now all local talent.

I did some photo work for Mike Wolters when he was in his old band (hes a drummer). Hung and out partied with the guy - hilarious dude.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

while its his own fault, the show persona of Mike Clark is one of a twit. he really doesnt get the respect that he deserves. again its because of the role he plays...

he happens to be a CFI-I (certificated flight instructor-instrument) which isnt something they just hand out. hes got many many hours in the air and hes made 100s of skydives. thats not something that just anyone can do. at least not on their own...

if he didnt embrace the toilet humor so much, he would be more palatable. that said, i havent heard much of any local radio in a long time. i prefer to load my own music on the mp3 player...

Django

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well put LT. I didnt realize he was a pilot until about a year ago. I come from a family of pilots, and your right, they dont hand out a pilot license to just anyone. I had a whole new respect for Mike Lane when he started talking about flying. He had always played the slightly silly one to Drews slightly more intellectual persona (am I talking about Drew and Mike? lol)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i listened to drew & mike from day one till bout 2001 when i went on afternoons, i,ll miss drew but i still miss jj&dick the bruiser on the riff. i now hate when i do work days. but will still listen to mike,trudi&the 2 marks.

Jcole

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I had a whole new respect for Mike Lane when he started talking about flying"

Mike's last name is Clark, Drew is Lane

Django

Post Number: 183
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOPS, thanks Jcole. Mike Clark, Drew Lane <ENTER

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i worked at the same station in Sacramento as Trudi Z opps! i mean Trudi Daniels in the last couple of years she was there...

the owners changed formats and she didnt make the cut. come to think of it none of the airstaff were kept. that was 91. i think thats about when she came home to detroit...

d

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.