Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » D-Town Brown (Let's Start A New Detroit Themed Mixed Drink) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 798
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Yes:

I am always amazed at how Detroit, a city with so much output in so many ways get's the short end of the stick in some regards... For example... Everyone knows what "Chicago Style Pizza" is and everyone knows what "New York Style Pizza" is... Few know that square thick and greasy pizza is "Detroit Style Pizza"... (think Nikkis, Buddy's, or Pizza Papalis)

Likewise, there is no Detroit bar drink. Well, there WAS no Detroit bar drink... If it's your bag, let's start one. If enough people ask for it, it will become so...

Next visit to a bar, request a "D-Town Brown"
A D-Town Brown (aka Brown Detroit, or Detroit Brown) is:

1/2 Vernors
1/2 Canadian Club Whiskey
on the rocks... no straw.

If that sounds a little hard to you, ask for it "light on the club"

come on... Let's do this!

If you think it needs a little more pep, let's give it a little twist of something else... But let's make it happen... discuss... - Andy

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been drinking Vernors and CC for years and years. Many bartenders know it as a "highball".

I think "D-Town Brown" is an inappropriate name with racial undertones. Let's come up with a better name.

Andylinn

Post Number: 799
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

unintended racial undertones. the color denotes the color of the beverage. and yes, you are right, a highball is pop + whiskey, but I thought these brands together were "detroit."

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think "D-Town Brown" is an inappropriate name with racial undertones. Let's come up with a better name.

Oh geez. This has nothing to do with race! It's an alcoholic beverage made with Detroit products that happens to have a brown hue. That's it! Nothing racial about it..

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally like the name and highly endorse the concept. I plan on ordering several this saturday at the Old Miami.

The name doesn't have racial undertones to me. Other drinks with skin-tone colors in their names don't get re-named! Think of Brown Cows, White Russians, Black Hats, Black Russians. You're making something out of nothing grumpyoldlady.

Andylinn

Post Number: 800
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hence the name grumpy old lady?

Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congrats on 800 posts, Andylinn!

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before I posted my comment I ran the name past of few of my friends....3/4 said the same thing without me saying anything other than it was a Detroit drink.

Add a splash of cream to the drink...takes the bite out of it for those who like something a little more gentle.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6072
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call it a Nain-Rouge.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was mixing Vernors and whiskey at a party awhile back, we called them Detroit Car Jacks, inspired by the Irish Car Bomb. Whatever you call it, they sure are tasty and go down nice.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zug Island Iced Tea

Vodka
Orange Juice
Faygo Grape Soda

Looks gross, tastes great.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2143
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been mixing orange Crush and vodka. I call it a hillbilly screwdriver. :-)

Upinthewoods
Username: Upinthewoods

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D-town brown=

Downtown browns- a low quality brown marijuana

Detroit brown- high quality brown heroin

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriviera, whiskey & Vernor's, & all ginger-ale, have been a popular mixer for 100 odd years...heck, that's how Canada Dry got its' name. It's also the drink of choice in Hemingway's "Nick Adams" stories, which tells you the how they passed the time was up in Charlevoix 100-odd years ago(well, that & fishing & screwing around with your Indian girlfriend)

When some friends were in the studio we invented the "Rex Morgan"-Dr Pepper & Captain Morgan. The fact that you can order it at any bar today shows how successful we were

Dr Pepper also goes well with Canadian whisky, & esp George Dickel

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 679
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy,
You wouldn't happen to be a buzz agent would you?

Andylinn

Post Number: 801
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) no, i'm not a buzz agent. Hey, what could one add to the drink to make it red without changing the flavor? Then it could be the Nain-Rouge... !

Downriviera

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vernor's is not ginger-ale. Its ginger soda. Canada Dry, Schweps etc. taste totally different. Then you have ginger beer, different still. Try a Dark and Stormy, Black Seal dark rum with ginger beer, I prefer Stewarts ginger beer, has a nice spice kick to it. Add ice and a lemon slice, most satisfying for a summer drink.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best Dark and Stormy in town is at Pulse. I believe they use Stewarts.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given the state of the city and the shaft citizens are getting for their tax dollars, I think we should co opt the name of an old drink...The Sloe Screw. Sloe gin and OJ.

Marauderkev
Username: Marauderkev

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yahoo!!
Again I learn something new!
Is Vernor's ginger ale from Detroit?
It's a rare find up here (Toronto, Ontario) but turns up in the strangest places.
Anybody have some history of this subject?

Vernor's beats the hell out of Canada Dry and Schweppes!

Downriviera

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here ya go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V ernors

Marauderkev

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey wonderful, Downriv.
Many thanks! Too bad about the Schweppes cnnection though.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hey, what could one add to the drink to make it red without changing the flavor? Then it could be the Nain-Rouge...
You could try Grenadine. It's bright red, very concentrated and used in a lot of drinks.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like to make something I call Vernor's Grand Dad.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marauderkev - The Canadian version of Vernor's tastes a bit different to me. Seems sweeter and doesn't have as much zing to it as the Vernor's sold in Detroit.

Just like the Canadian versions of Coke and Pepsi; they're kind of scaled down too. Not as much raz ma taz or something in those pops.

Wonder why? Government regulations? Probably, eh?
:-)

Amherstburgmac
Username: Amherstburgmac

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good ideas but.... CC is from Windsor.. so how about calling it an
"Ambassador", "North and South", or a "Broon Moroun"

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4734
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the "Was Not Is"

Equal portions of Stroh's beer, Vernor's Ginger Ale and Mohawk Vodka.

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 818
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say bring back Pink and Golden Champale now thats a Motown drink.

Yum!

When we were kids and our parents used to throw block parties we used to sneak it all the time.

Its the best.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 819
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Revaldullton

Post Number: 823
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend drank Grape Kool-Aid, bitters, sugar and Scotch.

I dunno, call it Supreme Headache?

Marauderkev

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edearie,
I know the coke and pepsi are a bit different, but I'm sure there are differences in the US too as there are several bottling plants.
Is Vernors bottled up here? It is so hard to find (which tells me it isn't overly popular), I just assumed it was imported.

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is from a woman who claimed to be a "refugee" from Detroit. Shot of Creme de Cocoa, shot of Kahlua, shot of Vodka mixed in a blender with vanilla ice cream. She called it "Day Old Snow."

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5716
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You all are being too wimpish with the alcohol...

Let's try something stronger like...

A shot of Thunderbird...

A shot of Cisco...

A shot of Mad Dogg 20/20

And chase it with St. Ides...

We can call it...."OMG WTF I do to myself"
:-)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 140
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, are you my ex sister in law? She used to drink Mad Dog and Mogan David, and chase it with Wild Turkey.
We called it 'What's that crazy bitch doin' now'

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5717
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 668
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Faygo red pop and CC...

Call it a Red-Wing

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the day,(teen years),we used to have trash can punch at parties.
Whatever you could score in the parking lot of the local liquor store went into the communal can.(with a clean trash bag of course).
A main ingredient then was Right Times, fruit flavored malt liquor.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a "Motor City Meltdown". It's made with any cheap bar whisky and your choice of street drug.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mix Faygo Red Pop with Strawberry Stoli Vodka. No idea for a name though.

Downriviera

Post Number: 269
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How bout Red Headed Ho.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marauderkev - I don't know if its bottled here in Canada. I'll look on the next bottle I buy. However, I am thinking it could be bottled in Detroit, but under Canadian regulations for import??

Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass Cafe now serves d-town browns!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.