Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Craving for Vietnamese Food « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bobchapski
Username: Bobchapski

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone recommend a place to get great Vietnamese Food? I just moved to the area from out of state. I especially like the "Fresh Rolls" which are like Spring Rolls but not fried. Thai places sometimes have them but they're not as good as the ones from Vietnamese Restaurants.

Thanks!

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 502
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thang Long on John R in Madison Heights

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6609
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob, if you wanted to cross the border, I can wholey recommend Pho-Xic-Lo in Windsor. They are on the corner of Wyandotte St. W. & Campbell. Their Summer Rolls (Fresh rolls) are second to none, and they make a wicked bun too...

http://foodpages.ca/PhoXicLo.u comments#ratings

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John R in Madison Heights has many Vietnamese spots. Love the sandwiches.

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to frequent this spot in Ypsi...
http://www.dalatco.com/

Pretty good stuff if you don't mind the drive.

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Saigon on either John R or Dequindre in Madison Hts. I love Pho but I just can't find many fellow Pho lovers to dine with!

Birdwoman
Username: Birdwoman

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Annam on Michigan Avenue in Dearborn: http://tinyurl.com/66z9af

Fantastic (their unfried spring rolls are out of this world!)

Hairybackjoe
Username: Hairybackjoe

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, I was talking with one of my co-workers here who just moved in from Viet Nam and he had a craving as well. After trying out many of the restaurants his ranking was:

Annam in Dearborn
Thang Long on John R (my favorite as well)
and then another one on John R whose name eludes me, but it was just up the street a ways on John R (on the same side of the street, west)

I'm pretty sure Thang Long is Vietnamese and Thai, however.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that Long Thang closed?
Is this true? I hope not.
They have/had a dish called the Big Noodle.
It was the most delicious Vietnamese food I've had.

Rookie08
Username: Rookie08

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't remember the name of the place but it is located right in the corner of 13 mile rd. and Dequindre. Great Vietnamese restaurant. The whole plaza are consist of Vietnamese stores and restaurant except for one party store. You must go there if you want authentic vietnamese food.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 487
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thang Long on John R in Madison Heights

Excellent pick! We eat there about once a month. It was still open as of March.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 257
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree about Annam-- the food is great, but it is definitely NOT a Pho restaurant. It is totally fine dining. I'd like to find a Pho place on the west side. Sometimes a guy just wants 18 gallons of noodles, broth and meatballs (I think that's a medium size) spiced with that hot sauce with the rooster on the label.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7562
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know there seems to be a handful of Vietnamese noodle shops in Windsor as well. I've only had a few experiences there (can't remember the names of them to save my life) and have always savored the noodles there. Great stuff.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know whether this would be considered "west side" (check with Jjaba), but Dalat in Ypsilanti serves reasonable pho.

Bigdada
Username: Bigdada

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thang Long on John R north of twelve mile is great!

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 265
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best Pho I had was in Windsor at Bac Lieu.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5329
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a place in Gratiot just north of 14 across from the cemetary? I thought that it was vietnamese cuisine...

Andy313
Username: Andy313

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great thread.

Thang Long is my favorite and definitely still open(thank god). I polished off their Bun Thit Nuong this past week.

HBJoe - you're right, they do offer Thai & Vietnamese, which can really come in handy if you have mixed cravings like me.

Has anyone tried the Vietnamese offerings @ Asian Village?

(Message edited by Andy313 on April 12, 2008)

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 508
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blue Star on Gratiot and 14 Mile Rd.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11732
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might not be Vietnamese since I don't know the difference but Bangkok Crossing on Woodward downtown has an awesome (and Large) noodle bowl. Great prices as well.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I finally gave up trying to find pho on the west side, and we bought the noodles, spices, some rooster hot sauce, and we make our own. There are a couple of asian markets over here that carry the right stuff-- there's one on Joy east of Telegraph, and another on Seven Mile east of Middlebelt.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 367
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dalat in Ypsi is the best Ive had. Their goi con rolls are out of this world, the sauce totally makes it all worth while. Its a clear rice wrap I believe. Not fried, exactly what your looking for. LIght and airy, shrimp, sprouts, cabbage I believe. Your gonna love it. They have a great rep out there. I highly recommend them. Thats been my favorite Vietnamese for many years. But Im more of a Thai guy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.