Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Strike up the Band « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 493
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Legendary Pops Luscombe waves the baton at Good Old Mackenzie High School

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2970
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackenzie High School Band, 1954. Ray1936 front row, third from right.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2972
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me talk for a minute about the band. I played in it for all four years I was there, and it laid a foundation for musical enjoyment and appreciation for all my life.

We played Beethoven's Fifth, and we learned that the "dot dot dot dash" theme was not only in the first movement, but cleverly hidden by Beethoven in the other three movements. We played Leroy Anderson, the great conductor/composer of the Boston Pops. My favorite was Schubert's Unfinished Symphony, because of the flute solos it allowed me to perform.

Strauss Waltzes, Sousa Marches, and The Battle Hymn of the Republic, with the Mackenzie Chorus. My Lord, they sounded magnificent! Maybe not the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra, but close enough.

My CD collection today is a mix of Classics, ShowBiz and Hollywood, and ethnic music. Love Mexican Marachis, and I love the "Ommpahpah" of a good German brass band. And, yes, Polkas! How can you not help but feel good listening to a polka?

Got a lot of Boston Pops and Cincinnati Pops;, Andre' Rieu; Andrew Lloyd Webber; Ferrante and Teischer, and the likes.

Oh, how I love music. REAL music. Not the noise and claptrap of the last thirty years.

You may all now dump on me.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, I sure won't dump on you! Music has been a very big part of my life. If you're interested, the Warren Concert Band will be performing on April 27th at the Warren Consolidated Performing Arts Center, housed at Sterling Hgts. High School, on Fifteen Mile, East of Van Dyke. The cost for a ticket is less than $10.00. The Concert features the Warren Community Choir and the Warren Concert Band under the direction of Douglas Bianchi, Director of Bands at Wayne State University. Come and listen to some of the new music being composed.

It's real music, not noise and claptrap...

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to mention, the gentleman who sits next to me in my Horn section recently turned 86 years old, and is still one MEAN Horn player.

I am privileged to be the Principal Horn of the Band.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 584
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are . . .
wonderful!
And we are priviliged to see and read the memories you share, Music Men.

Play on . . .

Ray1936

Post Number: 2984
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to attend, Horinst9, but, alas, it's a long drive from my home in Henderson, Nevada.

I've often wondered. Do horn players wash their right hand after a concert? :-) :-) :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.