Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Legal and Re-Zoning Issues for Rehabilitated Properties « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

say someone wanted to renovate an existing structure for a new purpose other than what the building was originally built for (i.e. church to concert venue a la st andrews, or warehouse to gallery like MOCAD). what sort of additional restrictions are there on top of something as (relatively) simple as the rehabbing of old apartments for new apartments.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you'd have to be more specific. it has more to do with zoning. some zoned areas allow for a mixed and/or multiple uses while others do not. some zoning may also be similar. uses may be similar as well, per code. (eg. A-2 is assembly which could be for both a small church or a bar). it also depends on if it's a historic area; this might limit what you can modify on the outside and inside, which may prohibit it's conversion into what you're thinking about.

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks, rsa. i'm not a developer, but the idea of one day converting an old building into something new and different is exciting to me. my (wandering) mind gets all these crazy ideas, and i'm curious about how zoning works.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2443
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"some zoned areas allow for a mixed and/or multiple uses while others do not."

http://www.municode.com/resour ces/gateway.asp?pid=10650&sid= 22

Seems to me that Detroit's zoning is a bit old school. Most cities have some sort of overlay for MUD (mixed urban development). This could allow for different uses next to each other without buffers.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you're welcome life. it usually isn't that difficult to convert a building into a new use. usually the ones that work best to convert have zoning that allows another use. if not, it's usually pretty easy to get a hearing and change it, unless there is another plan for the area or the residents are really opposed to it.

paul; detroit has "planned districts" zoned that typically allow for what you're talking about to facilitate development (much like the riverfront, lafayette park, etc.). however, they also do allow for overlay districts as well. corktown completed one not too long ago and i think they may be another in the works somewhere. typically, this is done via neighborhood groups applying to the city. i think that the zoning codes haven't been updated since this idea was introduced...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.