Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » MLL Team in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is talk now that Major League Lacrosse is going to expand here in the Detroit market within the next five years or less. Anybody know what would be a good place for them to play their games? or who can think of a name for the team?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4057
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a team here. They were called the Detroit Turbos and played at Joe Louis. They even won the league championship one year.

Mclark
Username: Mclark

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember watching the Turbos on PASS. It was pretty cool actually.

Umbound

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea that was indoor Lacrosse, but Major League Lacrosse is outdoor. It would be pretty neat to see them play at WSU's football field huh?

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should renovate the Silverdome and use that. And where did u see that, can u give us links?

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohhh...outdoor lacrosse, well then tear off the roof and then rename it.

Umbound

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think the Silverdome would not fill up but I played summer LAX with somebody from B-Ham who happens to work for MLL had told me about it. he hopes it this market does get it but says the league is also looking at Seattle and Baltimore, since those places have had lacrosse forever.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be the first to post the absurd...

I know a building at the corner of Michigan & Trumbull that is looking for a tenant.

In all seriousness I cant think of a suitable outdoor venue.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4058
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice to have it in the city, but Wayne's field is the only place I can think of that wouldn't require major investment.

The Tiger Stadium site would be really cool, but that would take beaucoup bucks.

I'm guessing the Detroit Lacrosse Club practices at UD-Mercy?

Umbound

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think so i am not sure, i never got really involved with the DLC i just play for Bloomfield Hills Lacrosse and just graduated in 06 from Andover, but what would be a good name for the team though?

Professorjackson
Username: Professorjackson

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U of D is raising money to build a stadium for the field turf they installed for women's and men's lacrosse, and they hope in the not too distant future for football. Maybe an MLL team could help them build the stadium.

Umbound

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know how much money the MLL has though, it is still a fairly new league but is garnering a lot of respect. What would be a good name for it though if we got one?

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 483
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Send those stickmen to old Hammerberg Field, at the c/o Wyoming and West Chicago; that'll toughen 'em up.

Call them the Detroit Stags.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 329
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Sound

Lilpup

Post Number: 4060
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Bears (Lions, and Tigers, and...)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.