Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Rollerdome (Warren/Outer Dr.) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 206
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all . . . I'm posting on behalf of a friend who has hazy memories of the Rollerdrome at Warren and Outer Drive, and a few questions. Did it burn down? How and when? Does anyone happen to have a picture or anything else characteristic to the place?

It is Rollerdrome BTW--I couldn't edit the subject line.

(Message edited by texorama on April 08, 2008)

Detroit_uke
Username: Detroit_uke

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tex...Rollerdrome is gone. I'd say for at least 10 years. There are condos on that site now. There was a fire. I don't remember too much about the fire. Seems it was mechanical. Check out The Motor City Theatre/Rollerrink Historical Project Guestbook. You may find something there
www.guarnieri.com/motorcity/fi sheys/guestbook

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 704
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'87 or '88. Blackened the sky and was seen for miles - as spectacularly as the big warehouse fire that killed the firemen a couple of years earlier.

Rumor in the neighborhood that some kids were tossing firecrackers through a vent at the back of the building. Further: the kids got away.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was more like 92 or 93 when it burned. I was supposed to go to a class party from Carver there the day it burned, many of my classmates were there when it happened. They ended up being on the news to tell about it. The rumor I heard was that some troublemakers got kicked out and for revenge they came back and set the place on fire. I also remember going to a birthday party for a girl who I liked there. I think it was her 10th birthday? not sure...oh well.
The building was never well maintained anyway...It stayed abandoned for like 6 years after it burned, then the finally tore it down

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 644
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember it burned down in the spring or summer because I was at hockey practice at the Old Adray Arena in Dearborn, and I remember looking at the smoke billowing from the west.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.